Witchblade (Spoilers!)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
True. But I don't think that it means Daniel WANTS to come back.

Remember what Irons says "He lusts for death with the same zeal I lust for life."

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
*shrug*
I recall no indication that she's "bringing someone back" when she speaks to the dead. They seem to remain pretty much as dead before and after she talks with them.

Now, if you want to talk in a story and character development sense, then I agree that the guy probably isn't coming back. Last season her lover got killed and she didn't get to speak to him. That's an important thing in terms of character development, and having it mirrored with a different lover gives us some symmetry and consistency.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Sorry, Nightfall. I ddn't mean to be difficult, but I read "he doesn't want to come back" as being somewhat different from, "It makes a better story if he doesn't."

I doubt they'll bring back Conchobar. They simply don't have enough episodes in a season to cover her loss of one lover and developing the new relationship.

Nightfall

No that's okay Umbran. Just a little misunderstanding. That's cool.

But yeah I think you're right. Perhaps, after this season is done Concubar will come back...or maybe not. Have to wait and see won't we?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It may well depend more on the actor's availability than anything else.

For instance, they may well have wanted Conchobar this season, but couldn't get him. So, they come up with another by spliting a plotline a bit...

When I've heard of the Spear of Longinus and the Undying Soldier, they've generally been linked. The guy who is cursed to live forever is the same guy who uses the spear on Christ. Funny how the two show up unlinked, but in close proximity, eh?

My bet is they needed another love interest, and altered the Longinus story to get it.

Nightfall

Umbran,

You're right about the spear to a degree. I've heard the same things but sometimes they aren't linked. At times, I've heard that the Spear was just "blessed" and the guard just passed on. The Undying Solider actuall is a form of an older legend called the Wandering Jew. The Wandering Jew himself actually has TWO forms. That of Cartaphilus, the roman that beat/killed/abused Jesus, and that of a Jewish shoe maker whose name eludes me right now. Both seek redemption and/or a way to end their curse. In any case it IS interesting to see two things linked to the crucifiction and yet not joined like one would assume.

But as for Daniel coming back...well maybe it won't just be as a love interest but as an enemy.

This also raises another question, what other items of power might still lurk out there? Excaliber perhaps? The Sword of Charlemage? The Holy Grail? (Doubt that will make it's way in though, too much history around it. ;) ) Half to wait and see. But I am curious how such a thing as the spear COULD be so readily available to the buying public? I mean I could imagine THOUSANDS of Churches and believers wanting such an item. It's nearly as valuable as the Grail itself.

Nightfall

Well I know I'm a day late but I have say that Hierophant was TWISTED! The re-emergance of Roger Daltry, was great as well as the cameo by who ever was playing Sara's Dad. Overall I loved what Gallow was saying "This guy is like Kaiser "Freaking" Sosca!" :) Definately twisted and I think who ever Cyber Faust is, we know he's DEFINATELY wanting the Witchblade for his/her own use. Anyway this one was just as trippy as the one with the first appearance by Satan. I don't know if that's who Daltry is supposed to be but MAN he plays it to perfection! Overall as much as I liked the last one, with Daniel. But regardless, it tells me LOTS of Dark things are stirring, and I don't know if it's Irons or someone else. I still think it's someone else. No one owns the Devil. He owns you. :D

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Having done a little reading...

The Wandering Jew has a number of forms. While the myth we commonly site today is most directly from Christian myth, the roots are probably much older. If it were purely Christian, the curse would logically be damnation in Hell, not everlasting life. The everlasting life thing seems a holdover from another myth.

The "curse" of immortality is seen elsewhere - in the Koran, Moses curses Sameri the Sameritan to wander the world for helping to create the golden calf. Given that Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are all known for borrowing from older myths, as well as later manglings, it's prety easy to see how there's multiple versions of the story.

As for items of power - I doubt we'll see many. Excalibur and the Holy Grail are too cliche. The writers seem to like to borrow from more esoteric, less popular myths. The sword of Charlemagne is also probably out, because (IIRC) they already mentioned that old Charley carried the Spear of Longinus. No need for a special sword, then.

So far, much of their mythology seems to be Christian - Joan of Arc, the Spear of Longinus, the Wandering Jew. I don't think we'll start seeing items from other ethos - no Mjollnir or Golden Fleece. And I dunno how many other powerful items Christian Myth has in it. The Staff of Moses? I really doubt they'll touch the One True Cross...

Also, using more than one item of power a season (when there's only 12 episodes in each) would be over doing it. They seem to know better than to make it the "power item of the week". Though I think the Golden Apple (the one that started the Trojan War), could be an interesting gambit :D

As for stuff being "readily available to the buyng public", I have to point out scale. While Gabrial sells minor items, really big things (liek the Spear) are not readily available. Gabriel mentioned that he wouldn't touch it. The Spear had to be stolen - and was paid for by Irons, one of the richest men on the planet. I don't think multi-billionaires really count as "the buying public". The subset of such people who actually believe mythology to the point of spending resources to get such things even less so.

Edit: Hmm. Actually, there is one Judeo-Christian item that might be nice to see - Joseph's Coat of Many Colors. It's got some nice subtleties to it...

Last edited:

Nightfall

Um, you have a point, they do tend to mangle their own myths, but then that's what myths do. :)

They do have roots to Sumerian. After all they referenced Gilgamesh. But who can say? I do think they might try Egyptian references, perhaps the Crown of Egypt worn by Joseph. Perhaps there's some hint that it was passed on to Saul, first king of Iseral. I don't know if that's true...but it's possible.

Well if Excaliber and the Grail are out, I doubt they'd do the Lost Ark of the Covenant. Perhaps maybe the lost tablet that Moses smashed but didn't get into the Ark? The staff he used to swallow up the Egyptian magicians' sticks? I honestly don't know.

Anyway Um, you made some very INTERESTING points. I guess we'll just have to wait and see now whether they hold true or not.

Remove ads