D&D 5E Wizard's at will damage cantrips concern

Obryn

Hero
Both are silly. A true magic user should use a dagger or a staff.
And a fake magic-user casts spells...?

Yeah, this has gone really far down the rabbit hole and it seems a lot more like an argument about the TRUE SOUL OF D&D than it does about something in Next.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
What a magic user uses should be based on how he learned magic. aka his Arcane Tradition.

Wizards of the Hightower School of Magic use cantrips and specialize by school of magic due to their elf based history. (wizardry, school of X)

Magic users trained by royal army use crossbows and can reload them quick enough to shoot twice. (the military mage)

A mage tutored by a sleazy street performer uses dagger but mostly avoids combat via illusions and enchantments. (the street magician)

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Wizards of the Hightower School of Magic use cantrips and specialize by school of magic due to their elf based history. (wizardry, school of X)

Magic users trained by royal army use crossbows and cant reload them quick enough to shoot twice. (the military mage)

A mage tutored by a sleazy street performer uses dagger but mostly avoids combat via illusions and enchantments. (the street magician)

And all three of these approaches are supported within the current rules.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
And all three of these approaches are supported within the current rules.

Yes, but there are more style of mage that can be explored with arcane tradition.

*a damage cantrip using mage
*a dart wizard who can get extra attacks with darts.
*a crossbow sniper arcanist who has a high crit chance with crossbow
*a magic user who doesnt use cantrips nor weapons for supplemental damage but knows a technique to spend actions and HP to recharge lower level spells (Magic missile, Recharge, Magic missile again)
*a mage who can embue his staff with magic energy once per short rest for a special effect.
*a mage who gets bonus levels to his Arcane recovery

That way many type of mages are viable at many levels.

Fanaelialae

Legend
]

He does use magic, but he shouldn't have an endless supply like on a video game.

Pew pew.

Why not?

A crossbowman in D&D, provided he's supplied with bolts, can fire endlessly too. A crossbowman who fires his crossbow every 6 seconds for 16 straight hours certainly strains my disbelief. But the rules allow for it, just like in a video game. Should we limit the crossbowman to X shots with his crossbow per encounter or per day because of this?

In a long adventuring day, a mage with Ray of Frost might use it a dozen times. Sure, he could use it more often, but doesn't he have better things to do than cast Ray of Frost ad nauseum?

]

He does use magic, but he shouldn't have an endless supply like on a video game.

Pew pew.

yes because Merlin was built for a video game, as was Harry Potter and Harry Dresden... heck Presto from the D&D cartoon had at will magic...

Why can't my mage have nothing to do with a video game (and amiditly I don't play them any more but didn't most of them have mana anyway instead of at will) and still be a magic caster with at will magic???

I could call lightning or disarm targets call fire

Ichneumon

First Post
yes because Merlin was built for a video game, as was Harry Potter and Harry Dresden... heck Presto from the D&D cartoon had at will magic...

Why can't my mage have nothing to do with a video game (and amiditly I don't play them any more but didn't most of them have mana anyway instead of at will) and still be a magic caster with at will magic???

I could call lightning or disarm targets call fire

Mana pools are near-ubiquitous in modern RPGs. When I try to think of a true at-will mechanic in video games, one example comes to mind - good ol' 80s shoot-em-ups.

Remove ads