D&D General Woodmaster and Rockmaster Rangers?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Often people attach beast companions to being a possible aspect or option for rangers.

However there is more to nature than beasts and insects. Rangers have many plant and rock related spell in their library which feel iconic to the class. However due to the whole them not being full spellcasters, this element are rarely explored.

So are there fantasy archetypes for rangers using plants or stone as their angle in D&D? Or is there one for D&D to explore?

How would a Woodmaster or Rockmaster look like at the various tiers of play in D&D? Should they even exist?

Sacrosanct

Legend
The one that immediately leaps to mind is LoTR or how it's often depicted in old westerns, is the ability to listen to the ground and determine the size and type and distance of creatures in the area.

Dioltach

Legend
Tarzan springs to mind as a plant-focused ranger. And I might be misremembering (it's been 35+ years), but perhaps Arizona Slim from Good Luck Arizona Man?

Stormonu

Legend
I think that would be pretty cool to have a ranger with a small earth elemental (or Galeb Duhr) running about, or a ranger and his shambling mound. Another angle might be a ranger who has the ability to move about earth or plant life; it doesn't manifest as an actual companion, but can do things like reshape the ground, provide answers or entangle foes. Done as a companion/force instead of spells so the abilities are available more often (A bow ranger whose "companion" could create grasping earthern hands or whipping vines to Restrain his opponents would be quiet useful) - basically a "bonus" action to command the force to perform a battle manuever-like action. Doesn't count against spells, but may have some sort of restriction on usage whether by consuming bonus action/action or times per short rest.

As for archtypes, you'd probably find more in the superhero genre that have elemental ties/companions and plant powers/companions than you would find fantasy archtypes. Only character I can think of offhand (and is sci-fi/superhero) might be Jayce of Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors.

Wasn't there a greenwood ranger in the old 2E Complete Ranger that might fit?

NotAYakk

Legend
The current 'revised ranger' I'm working on has a class feature at level 1 that replaces Favored Foe that acts a bit like the warlock pact option.

One of the three is a primal beast companion (from Tasha's). The other two are a 4e-Warden-esque aspect of nature and a progressive boost to Hunter's Mark (starting with +1 Ranger class level for the purpose of spellcasting).

My first pass at the Warden-esque one was based off of Druid's Shapechange, where you took the aspect of a beast and applied it to your stats. But it isn't working very well.

Aspects that are plant or stone like is an interesting idea, and line up with the 4e Warden abilities nicely; at mid-levels the "earth flows around you and you become a living golem" was already part of the design (if at T3).

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
You're not talking something that animates trees and rocks, are you?

Tell me more about your vision

I was thinking something more associated with plants and rocks directly.

Basically answering.

"The beastmaster adds the abilities of animals via a beast companion or a swarm of critters to boost their combat, survival, and hunting ability. How would a ranger do so with plantlife or minerals?"

First thing that came to me is herbalism. Druids wouldn't invest in it as they are full casters. Herbalism would go to more mundane folk like rangers and artificers. So I could see a ranger getting a certain numbers of free potions a day and guzzle them quickly with no side effects. A ranger crafting special teas and drinks every night for their benefits seems thematic.

However that image overlaps a lot with the alchemist artificer. But many classes have overlapping archetypes.

As for rocks. The only thing I got was listening to the ground, permanent stone skin, throwing boulders, or earthbending.

Wasn't there a greenwood ranger in the old 2E Complete Ranger that might fit?

That was a thought as well. The ranger getting barkskin with no concentration. At highest levels they can regenerate in sunlight and grow thorns. Although it spikes up it fantastic elements a bit too fast on its own.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Howaboutthis if a ranger went the plant route in 5e

Master of Woods
Starting at the 3rd level, you learn the magic of the primeval woods,. You learn the Shillelagh cantrip. You also know the Ensnaring Strike and Barkskin spells, each of which you can cast once without expending a spell slot. These spells donot count towards your spells known. When you cast these spells, you do not need concentration nor spell components. You regain the ability to cast these two spells in this way when you finish a long rest. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for all three spells.

Wielder of Wood
At the 3rd level, you gain favoritism to the balance and weight of wooden weaponry. When you are wielding a club, greatclub, lance, pike, quarterstaff, spear or any other weapon made of mostly wood, you gain a +2 bonus to Damage Rolls with that weapon.

Master of Thorns
At the 7th level, your power over the woods grows thorny and prickly. When you cast the Shillelagh cantrip, clubs and quarterstaffs you weild deals an additional 1d6 piercing damage. When you cast the Barskin spell on yourself, your AC can't be less than 18, regardless of what kind of armor it is wearing.

Last edited:

Remove ads