D&D 5E Word of Radiance

iollmann

First Post
A simple question: The Word of Radiance cantrip has a 5’ radius. Does this mean that each and every successful use of it triggers an opportunity attack, maybe many such?

Wondering what is the point.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
A simple question: The Word of Radiance cantrip has a 5’ radius. Does this mean that each and every successful use of it triggers an opportunity attack, maybe many such?

Wondering what is the point.

1. Casting a spell in melee doesn't trigger an OA.
2. Using a ranged attack while in melee will make the attack be at disadvantage.
3. There is no downside to using an ability that targets a saving throw while in melee.

1. Casting a spell in melee doesn't trigger an OA.

I have to wonder just how many groups out there are playing with spells and/or ranged attacks triggering Opportunity Attacks in 5E. I suspect it's a disturbingly high number, and that in virtually all cases, it's not an intentional house rule, just an assumption. In the three games I play in, I've had to gently explain to two of the DMs that in no cases in 5E short of the Mage Slayer Feat (or similar) does spellcasting or shooting a bow or whatever trigger an opportunity attack, and also have had to explain that to several players who demanded OAs when enemies did those two things near them. I guess the combined weight/inertia of 3E and 4E is quite a lot to overcome.

delphonso

Explorer
My players still expect OAs on standing up and are always relieved when I inform them that rule doesn't exist. One of those hold overs that people have bouncing around in their heads.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
My players still expect OAs on standing up and are always relieved when I inform them that rule doesn't exist. One of those hold overs that people have bouncing around in their heads.
Killer 5e: Now new and improved: we put back the rules you remember from old versions that aren't in the PHB any more.

Shiroiken

Legend
I have to wonder just how many groups out there are playing with spells and/or ranged attacks triggering Opportunity Attacks in 5E. I suspect it's a disturbingly high number, and that in virtually all cases, it's not an intentional house rule, just an assumption. In the three games I play in, I've had to gently explain to two of the DMs that in no cases in 5E short of the Mage Slayer Feat (or similar) does spellcasting or shooting a bow or whatever trigger an opportunity attack, and also have had to explain that to several players who demanded OAs when enemies did those two things near them. I guess the combined weight/inertia of 3E and 4E is quite a lot to overcome.
I lot of players and DMs have baggage from older editions (or even the playtest*) that get grandfathered in because people assume it's still there. Some choose to keep them deliberately, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I'm sure the far majority are accidental.

*This actually came up in our game today. The DM thought that my dwarf was immune to the Poisoned condition because he remembered one of the playtest versions of the dwarf that was. I had been hit by an effect that caused 2 other PCs to make Con saves to avoid being poisoned, and he didn't ask me to roll (I did anyway, because I was expecting it).

Remove ads