WotC World Reveal of Baldur's Gate 3

At PAX East today, gameplay footage of Baldur's Gate 3 was revealed for the first time by Larian Studios.

According to PC Gamer, the Early Access version of the game will launch this year with five characters:
  • Wyll, Human Warlock
  • Shadowheart, Half-elf Cleric
  • Lae'zel, Githyanki Fighter
  • Gale, Human Wizard
  • Astarion, Elven Vampire Spawn Rogue
And you'll be able to create characters using these six classes:
  • Fighter (Battle Master, Eldritch Knight)
  • Wizard (Evocation, Abjuration)
  • Rogue (Arcane Trickster, Thief)
  • Ranger (Hunter, Beast Master)
  • Cleric (Life, Light, Trickery)
  • Warlock (Fiend, Great One)
15 races include (amongst others):
  • Elves
  • Dwarves
  • Humans
  • Githyanki
  • Drow
  • Tieflings
  • Vampire Spawn

LLH1BPJ.png

qlR4Bmg.jpg

jEeuWft.jpg

8Gic926.jpg

OLP0YhI.jpg

EsNTlWm.jpg
QzN9a7C.jpg
knMpJyl.jpg
uRbTbmp.jpg
drYBkxb.jpg
PhUpxaP.jpg
PM2ysZc.jpg
2htLlMr.jpg

Last edited:

Mournblade94

Adventurer
Sadly this fail will mostly affect Vicke who will be held responsible for this shortcoming by many. It was an impossible project to begin with. I know how much Vicke loved Baldurs Gate and I wished he had the creative freedom that he needed to create the true successor, that he envisioned.

Fail?? In what world is this an indication of failure. What separates this from the myriad of other games out there? Its the fact that this game uses the 5e engine. This is easily going to be as successful as the previous BG games. I play lots of turn based games. The turn basis is a feature not a bug. And perfect because it is a ttrpg sim.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
And this is what most people expected from BG3. Pausable real time combat. Not Diablo 3.

Based on the expected release date, BG3 will be in competition with Wrath of the Righteous. And the latter one looks and feels a lot more like Baldurs Gate than BG3.

I expected true turn based the moment I knew who was making it.

True turn based adds a lot of depth that a pauseable quasi turn based game does not.

miggyG777

Explorer
Fail?? In what world is this an indication of failure. What separates this from the myriad of other games out there? Its the fact that this game uses the 5e engine. This is easily going to be as successful as the previous BG games. I play lots of turn based games. The turn basis is a feature not a bug. And perfect because it is a ttrpg sim.

The population on this board is skewed towards people that want BG3 to be a simulation of 5e.

The general populace of gamers of the BG2 generation will not take this change lightly, because effectively it ventures away from what BG1&2 were in a very drastic way.

A way that won't be seen as innovation but rather regression.

Real time combat with auto-pausing already allowed you to play turn based. Now all players are forced to use turn based mode. That is a fail.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
The population on this board is skewed towards people that want BG3 to be a simulation of 5e.

The general populace of gamers of the BG2 generation will not take this change lightly, because effectively it ventures away from what BG1&2 were in a very drastic way.

Real time combat with auto-pausing already allowed you to play turn based. Now all players are forced to use turn based mode. That is a fail.
Millions of jRPG players disagree. This is also marketed to them as well.

Oofta

Legend
Opinion stated as opinion, based on knowledge.
Meh. Still pretty irrelevant. It was at the direction of Larian, who actually did it doesn't matter.

The actual game play looked good, I think you're underestimating how much animation a game like this depends on. Other than being scripted the intro didn't look significantly different than animation we saw in actual gameplay.

Personally I've seen a few game cut scenes in recent years that make me wish for a full length feature. This happens to be one of those.

Anyway, have a good one.

MarkB

Legend

Plenty of successful recent games have used turn-based combat. XCOM was huge, and XCOM2, especially with the War of the Chosen expansion, was even bigger and more popular. Some of the most popular and enduring RPG series use turn-based combat.

Turn-based is not regressive, and it's not perceived as regressive in the wider gaming world.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
Not interested. Just seeing another game using 5e at this point makes it a non-interest for me. Right now i'm at a stage where if any game of any kind is using 5e as it's chassis than it goes on an auto no interest pile for me.

Ringtail

World Traveller
Am I the only one who prefers turn-based combat? I love Pathfinder Kingmaker (haven't played Pillars yet, but I own it and its on my list) but man the combat irritates me sometimes.

I loved Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2. If this was just those games with a D&D paint-job I would be happy. But its clear to me from the trailer that already they're using the 5e rules quite faithfully (awesome, excited about that), carrying over the framework of games like Original Sin (fantastic, love those games) and generally improving the presentation and experience all around. The game looks fantastic.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases