• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worst Character Name

hong

WotC's bitch
Hypersmurf said:

I give up! I give up!

This name is so familiar, but I can't remember the source!

I know Gygax used "Fonkin" as an elvish endearment in Saga of Old City... but I know I've heard the name!

Someone please remind me... :(

-Hyp.

It's one of the tournament characters' names in the back of the old G123 "Against the Giants" module. I cannot believe I still have a copy of this (horribly tattered, but still quite usable).

Here are the characters:

Gleep Wurp the Eyebiter, 12th level human magic-user (had a return appearance in the 2E reissue of Against the Giants, this time as a villain)
Cloyer Bulse the Magsman, 13th level human thief
Roaky Swerked, 12th level human cleric
Frush O'Suggill, 14th level human fighter
Fonkin Hoddypeak, 5/8th level high elf ftr/MU
Flerd Trantle, 9th level human cleric
Redmod Dumple, 9th level human fighter
Faffle Dwe'o-mercraeft, 9th level human MU
Beek Gwenders of Croodle, 9th level half-elf ranger

It seems to be a rule that the more old-skool the player, the weirder the names become. One of the guys I'm playing with has been at it since 1975, and his current PC is Walter Grumble, 6th level psion.

NiTessine

Explorer
Dwarven rogue named Kupion, named after the teacher who ran the RPG club at school.
Widdle, who later acquired the title of 'the Pathetic', after it became known he had not a single stat over 12, and only two over 10. This was 2E, by the way.

Maudlin

First Post
I once played a paladin called Bestiality von Eful.

It was a tragic character.

(Edit: Oh, and one of my very first chars was called Lingus the Cunning, which I still don't like to mention, but you asked :))

Last edited:

Holy Bovine

First Post
madriel said:
You think Weaver is bad? Try Smith. *sighs*

A guy in my group named his rogue Phil. Just Phil. No last name. My fiance's fighter in that campaign is a bunch of Hs and Rs and Gs that sounds like a cat hacking up a hairball.

Foul! Foul! I say again FOUL!

It is a simple and elegant name;

Harrang Hurst

Say it with me.

Harrang Hurst.

See - an excellent name if there ever was one
:rolleyes:

Holy Bovine

First Post
The Green Man said:
My current gaming group is fun to game with, but terrible with names. One guy has a set rule that his characters never get a name until they reach 10th level. So, without further ado, here's some horrible names from my campaign.

Spilreggin - think about it, it's quite offensive really (hint: backwards)

I would smack the living :):):):) out of any player who gave me this crap as his PCs name.

Did the ass think he was being cute or something?

I'm not angry at you Green Man but this stuff really burns me up.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Lets see I had a Drawven Monk/Cleric named Hung Lo Bigasboulders... he was also known to be called by his comrades as Smallaspebbles *sigh*

-Crisis

Melan

Explorer
How about Lord Aaron Smith, Protector of the City?

And how about the two example parties in the 1e DMG:
-Party A:
*Aggro the Axe (Ftr 4)
*Abner (M-U 5)
*Arkayn (Clr 4)
*Arlanni (Thf 2)
-Party B:
*Gutboy Barrelhouse (Ftr 6, a real classic)
*Balto (Mnk 1)
*Blastum (M-U 4)
*Barjin (Ftr/M-U 4/5)

No one can match Gygax when it comes to names! :D

AuroraGyps

First Post
I've never had a bad or weird name (so far ;) ), but lots of friends have.

There was the one guy in our group that kept using drug names... he made a big list: Valium, Nuprin, Advil, Diazapam, etc. The one I really remember was Sir Prozac from Rifts.

Then, there was the Monk named Bob.

For a Hong Kong Action Theater game we had Hung Lo and his side kick Lo Fat.

And the wierdest, in name & character, was the Wizard from another Rifts game. His name was Me... just Me. Of course, he's the same character that had a necromatic dagger always floating in his palm and it would fly off and stab enemies so he could use their energy. Also, when the group was getting ready for a mission and they were getting granades, ammo, armor, etc, the wizard only requisitioned a chess board and amphetamines. :rolleyes:

Michael Morris

First Post
This one was fun...

Pounder the half orc barbarian. First barbarian under 3e rules I ran for at GenCon 2000. Before the rage came the battle cry

POUNDER POUND!!!

Great Cleave, Power Attack, Weapon Focus and a Warclub +2 were nasty combination.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads