WotC WotC Makes Over $1B In 2021!

According to ICv2, D&D publisher WotC made over $1 billion in total sales in 2021, including $952M in tabletop games. WotC is the first (and only) billion dollar publisher in tabletop RPGs, although much of this revenue will also be due to Magic the Gathering. It is responsible for a staggering 72% of Hasbro's total operating profit. Interim CEO Rich Stoddart indicated that tabletop games...
According to ICv2, D&D publisher WotC made over $1 billion in total sales in 2021, including $952M in tabletop games.

WotC is the first (and only) billion dollar publisher in tabletop RPGs, although much of this revenue will also be due to Magic the Gathering. It is responsible for a staggering 72% of Hasbro's total operating profit.

Interim CEO Rich Stoddart indicated that tabletop games grew 44% and accounted for 74% of the $1.3B sales for WotC in 2021. The division at Hasbro is 'Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming', so the remained came from the Digital Gaming side of things.

wotc.jpg

Stormonu

Legend
I still have a fax machine (though it's internet-based). I last worked at an office that used WP in 2013. And several of the proprietary programs I use DOS terminal instances.
I work for a doctor’s corporation. This beauty showed up on our retirement shelf just this last week. It was used to download Medicare information from a DOS-based program.

TBH, the US government is the worst about adopting technology that wasn’t rooted in the 70’s, and we have to use it if we want to get paid. It’s why the keep me around at my place of work, I think - I’m one of the few who still knows how to operate the old stuff.

Attachments

• 669ABBB8-7CC3-412A-BE66-3783E39AA94F.jpeg
    669ABBB8-7CC3-412A-BE66-3783E39AA94F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 86

Zardnaar

Legend
I work for a doctor’s corporation. This beauty showed up on our retirement shelf just this last week. It was used to download Medicare information from a DOS-based program.

TBH, the US government is the worst about adopting technology that wasn’t rooted in the 70’s, and we have to use it if we want to get paid. It’s why the keep me around at my place of work, I think - I’m one of the few who still knows how to operate the old stuff.

I think part of that is security. Can't really hack a paper document.

IIRC the US nuclear arsenal system was using a 1970's floppy disk format up to a few years ago.

darjr

I crit!
I worked on a thing that was a disk format on a 7bit computer transformed into a bare wire long distance network protocol then modified to be a bare Ethernet protocol then a bare wireless protocol in a pre standard WiFi. Finally it was all stuffed into UDP packets.

That’s when I got to work on it.

Zardnaar

Legend
I worked on a thing that was a disk format on a 7bit computer transformed into a bare wire long distance network protocol then modified to be a bare Ethernet protocol then a bare wireless protocol in a pre standard WiFi. Finally it was all stuffed into UDP packets.

That’s when I got to work on it.

I understand about half of that;).

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.

The problem is changing over systems that are relied on by hundreds of millions of people on a daily basis.

For example, right now, DOD is doing maintenance on the Active Duty lookup webpage. Meaning it cannot reliably be accessed. Why would that be important? Because in many jurisdictions, you need to show that someone is not an active duty servicemember to file a complaint. You check it through the website and submit the printout with an affidavit. No printout, no affidavit.

So this maintenance prevents, for example, me from filing suit or seeking judgment on cases. And that's just one website.

Should CMS be using telnet (which it looks like they are)? Hell no. But shutting down for an upgrade would cause chaos.

The government doesn't upgrade until something completely breaks.

Hey, I'd be fine with elf and dwarf (and tiefling and warforged and...) being just plain old classes! It's one of the things I love about DCC RPG!

But seriously, I think the reason why those folks are so obsessed with this or that garbage-take reason Wizards is supposedly failing D&D is because when it comes to actually, measurable data, they conclusively are not.

Don’t tell the internet that! I heard from very well informed (read: loudly obnoxious) sources that WotC was on the brink of ruin and nuTSR v. 4 was going to buy them out and make everyone go back to Elf and Dwarf being a class! 😜

By tying the game to a distinct aesthetic they put an expiration date on their product without every realizing it. Granted, they had a good long run throughout the nineties.

I can't honestly say what a successful reboot would look like for the World of Darkness. Maybe they would've been better off leaning hard into nostalgia and setting it in an eternal 90s.

Yeah. White Wolf had a hard task - they needed to update the game to a new decade but also try to keep everyone who enjoyed the original game and didn't want to see it change. They thought they could balance that out by having a hard reboot and actual endings to the metaplots that they'd built up but it just became a jumping off point instead.

It's been interesting to watch Vampire 5e roll out and seeing that a lot of the folks involved didn't really understand why the original game fell off in the first place (combined of course with additional controversies that I'll charitiably say might have arisen from older folks not understanding the current youth culture...)

Yeah there's those. And in a lot of ways White Wolf was a lot like TSR - successful despite itself for a long time until it suddenly wasn't.

That's an awesome shot and set of shelves. But those overhead shelves look like a whole lot of tall-person nonsense to me!

Back when I was a librarian, sometimes I would get tired of trying to find a nearby kickstand or ladder and just Spider-Man climb up the shelves.

From what I know of him, Ed Greenwood would probably continue working at his local library no matter how much money he had. Have you seen the guy's house?

64204209_10155889973836534_8024686100930887680_n.jpg

"In addition, the Company continues to invest in developing future digital gaming and development of new Wizards IP"

New kind of new none D&D or MtG IP is incoming.

Also next years D&D movie is expectec to spike profits up to 16% of revenue compared to expected single digits this year and 2024.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads