D&D 5E WOTC Possibly Removing "Druids" for Religious/Cultural Sensitivity Reasons

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Well considering D&D druids are nothing like Celtic Druids, let alone the modern use of the word, I don't see a big deal of doing more than changing the name as some other kind of Nature Priest, as the D&D druid, is more a nature priest.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I have players who have played 5th edition for years and still can't keep track of their character's abilities. As a DM, I require them to keep track of what they can do because I have enough on my plate when running a game.
During one of the breaks I get from DMing there was an interaction that went like this during a fight. We were 9th level.

DM: "Okay. The giants start coming your way."
Player of the Twilight Cleric: "Wait guys! I can grant everyone 1d6+9 temporary hit points that will refresh every round for the whole fight."
The rest of us: "Wow! That's awesome."
Me: "When did you get this ability?" - Note: we had been 9th level for a while.
Player of the Twilight Cleric: "Um. 2nd level."
Me: "So we could have been using that this whole time?"
Player of the Twilight Cleric: "Yes."
Me: 🤦‍♂️

Voadam

Legend
It makes it harder on the DM perhaps, but it shouldn't be any harder on any given player as in theory all that player has to focus on is what his-her own character(s) can do. Thus if I'm playing a Bard using the bespoke subsystem for Bardic abilities then for the time being all I have to learn is that subsystem, and it shouldn't much matter to me-as-player how Jane's Magic-User works or how Jim's Cleric works.

The only time it's a player-side issue is if-when a player is trying to play two characters at once who each have bespoke subsystems; but in theory the player would know (or be warned!) ahead of time what doing so might entail.
It is also an issue for a player anytime they want to try to coordinate with other players or come up with group plans involving others' powers.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
It is also an issue for a player anytime they want to try to coordinate with other players or come up with group plans involving others' powers.
I don't see a solution to that that doesn't involve either learning your class, not playing classes with complexity, or making the game as simple as possible, and option 3 doesn't work for me.

I have players who have played 5th edition for years and still can't keep track of their character's abilities. As a DM, I require them to keep track of what they can do because I have enough on my plate when running a game.
I use an excel spreadsheet on my TV (converted into a PC) when I monitor combat (excuse the pun) - to track initiative, damage, combat rounds, but also conditions, spell effects, reactions used, sometimes movement/distance from opponent/ally/target etc.

The biggest culprit is the min-maxer in the party who forgets rolling for Concentration after taking damage or Sanctuary + Spirit Guardians. I constantly have to read up on spells being cast because I just don't trust the players, not because they lie, but because they assume or mis-interpret.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
During one of the breaks I get from DMing there was an interaction that went like this during a fight. We were 9th level.

DM: "Okay. The giants start coming your way."
Player of the Twilight Cleric: "Wait guys! I can grant everyone 1d6+9 temporary hit points that will refresh every round for the whole fight."
The rest of us: "Wow! That's awesome."
Me: "When did you get this ability?" - Note: we had been 9th level for a while.
Player of the Twilight Cleric: "Um. 2nd level."
Me: "So we could have been using that this whole time?"
Player of the Twilight Cleric: "Yes."
Me: 🤦‍♂️
If they don't update nerf the Twilight Cleric in the very first player-facing book after the 2024 PHB, I will be shocked.

Last edited:

Remove ads