Unearthed Arcana WotC Removes Latest Unearthed Arcana

WotC has removed this week's Unearthed Arcana from its website. Not only has the article's web page itself been removed, the actual PDF has been replaced with last month's "Subclasses, Part 1" PDF (although it's URL still reads... /UA2020-Subclasses02.pdf).

Status
Not open for further replies.
WotC has removed this week's Unearthed Arcana from its website. Not only has the article's web page itself been removed, the actual PDF has been replaced with last month's "Subclasses, Part 1" PDF (although it's URL still reads... /UA2020-Subclasses02.pdf).

The article included three new subclasses, the bardic College of Creation, the cleric's Love Domain, and the sorcerer's Clockwork Soul.

[NOTE - NSFW language follows].

I don't know if it's linked, but WotC came under criticism on Twitter for its treatment of the Love Domain. The main argument isn't that mind-control magic has no place in the game, but rather that coercive powers should not be described as "love", and that the domain might be poorly named.

People like game designer Emmy Allen commented: "It seems WotC have tried to create a 'Love' domain for clerics in 5e. By some sheer coincidence they seem to have accidentally created a 'roofie' domain instead. Nothing says 'love' like overriding your target's free will to bring them under your power."

That domain was introduced as follows: "Love exists in many forms—compassion, infatuation, friendly affection, and passionate love as a few facets. Whatever form these feelings take, the gods of love deepen the bonds between individuals."

The powers were Eboldening Bond, Impulsive Infatuation ("Overwhelm a creature with a flash of short-lived by intense admiration for you, driving them to rash action in your defense”), Protective Bond, and Enduring Unity.

Whether the criticism was a factor in the article's withdrawal, I don't know. It might be that it just wasn't ready for prime-time yet. It seems the domain itself would be better named a "control" or "charm" domain than a "love" domain, which seems to be the main thrust of the criticism on Twitter.

WotC's Jeremy Crawford commented: "The official version of the Unearthed Arcana article “Subclasses, Part 2” is still ahead of us, later this week or sometime next week. Our team will hold off on answering questions until you’ve seen the real deal!"

Mr. Patient

Adventurer
Comparing one activity less common (occult motivated misdeeds) to a more common one (sexual assault) does not negate it’s existence.

What it does is completely trivialize it. Have there ever been occult-motivated misdeeds? Fine, I'm sure there have been a few. You win. We should discuss the two topics as if they're both equally serious.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. I simply do not understand as this to me is such a non-issue. This is just a game. I should hope people took it as such. Grant it, I think "Love" is kind of a odd choice for a domain name. Especially when "Charm" would likely fit better. But just because someone interprets something one way, doesn't mean it is "the way."

Then move along...

...wait...

So you agree then that 'love' is not a great choice for the domain name? Why are you censoring WotC and getting angry over such a little thing?

Seriously though, the people making this into a big deal are the ones who are crying that it is a big deal and are vehemently opposed to naming it something else. Which, I don't understand.

And if this is something that doesn't affect you, then I'm glad. Why be mad at those who it does affect though? What is your injury over changing the name and why is it important?

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Problem is, that within those 10% or less, EVERYTHING can be distasteful.
True, but the 10% have to work harder at making some things distasteful than others.

BTW, in case it's not clear from my post above, what I'm saying is "Too bad there are jerks out there who make it so we can't have nice things." Because in the hands of the 90%, I actually think this subclass could be a lot of fun. I'd be fine letting anyone from my regular groups play it as written, for example.

Last edited:

Mournblade94

Adventurer
You are seriously equating devil worship, which does not exist, to rape? Come on, man. I mean, we all play D&D here. We should know better than anyone that there is no such thing as real-life Satanism. The Church of Satan is a prank to stop local governments from putting up monuments to the Ten Commandments or whatever. No one is actually engaging in blood sacrifice. But in real life, millions of women (and men) are sexually assaulted every year.

What about combat veterans? I play with people that literally have seen dismemberment. I mean you're not being any better by preaching to his point this way because he might have honed in on the part you care about.

Disease is very real. Yet we feature disease in all kinds of D&D adventures. His point strongly stands. There is always going to be something that potentially can bother someone. The group can deal with it. He used a hyperbolic one. Play with a group of combat veterans and they have most definitely seen the stuff a murder hobo might do. My group involves people that have seen all of it.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
Unless you're living in a weak or failed state where law and order have collapsed and the USA, Russia, or China is looming over you, giving you a suspiciously greedy look over your land and natural resources, the real life equivalent of murderhobos shouldn't be a problem for you.

Meanwhile, the threat of sexual assault is a very real danger even for privileged oeople in the developed world, if it has not already ceased to be a threat and become a reality for them.
I play with people that have seen people killed in front of them. It was a very real reality for them. So don't be so quick to dismiss his point.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So does anyone have the PDF that they could send to me? I hadn't gotten around to getting it yet.

Mod Note:

Looks like I have to say this again:

Please do not use EN World to pirate copyright-protected materials. Do not make such requests on the boards. Do not use our messaging systems to arrange for exchanges.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
What about combat veterans? I play with people that literally have seen dismemberment. I mean you're not being any better by preaching to his point this way because he might have honed in on the part you care about.

Disease is very real. Yet we feature disease in all kinds of D&D adventures. His point strongly stands. There is always going to be something that potentially can bother someone. The group can deal with it. He used a hyperbolic one. Play with a group of combat veterans and they have most definitely seen the stuff a murder hobo might do. My group involves people that have seen all of it.
Well, as soon as all the combat veterans who are upset at the depiction of violence in the game and all the families who have lost love ones due to disease and are upset with the depiction of disease in the game all get together and tell WotC they should refluff the violence and disease... then we can have that talk. Now personally I admit I have not seen the tweets of the combat veterans who have been triggered by the swordfighting in the game, but please feel free to point them out. They most likely are dealing with a lot of issues we'd probably like to support or help out as best we could.

But just because some people can "deal" with certain things and are okay with their depiction does not mean everyone else can or indeed has to. And if it's no skin off Jeremy and their others noses to re-name the domain 'Passion' or 'Charm' or whatever... then there's no reason for them not to do it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The argument, "Well, lots of bad things happen in real life, so we should not have to consider this an issue," is pretty much displaying an empathy failure.

It is also a case of "whataboutism" (a variant of the tu quoque logical fallacy). It is a diversion. What is, or is not, done about some other issue is not material to whether we should handle this issue.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
But just because some people can "deal" with certain things and are okay with their depiction does not mean everyone else can or indeed has to. And if it's no skin off Jeremy and their others noses to re-name the domain 'Passion' or 'Charm' or whatever... then there's no reason for them not to do it.

I disagree. If something bothers someone within the game it's up to the group to deal with it. Disease really bothers me, I'm not going to campaign WOTC to remove it from the game because the fact it bothers me is MY problem and no one else's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads