WotC WotC's Chris Perkins On D&D's Inclusivity Processes Going Forward

Over on D&D Beyond, WotC's Chris Perkins has written a blog entry about how the company's processes have been changed to improve the way the D&D studio deals with harmful content and inclusivity. This follows recent issues with racist content in Spelljammer: Adventures in Space, and involves working with external cultural consultants. The studio’s new process mandates that every word...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over on D&D Beyond, WotC's Chris Perkins has written a blog entry about how the company's processes have been changed to improve the way the D&D studio deals with harmful content and inclusivity. This follows recent issues with racist content in Spelljammer: Adventures in Space, and involves working with external cultural consultants.

The studio’s new process mandates that every word, illustration, and map must be reviewed by multiple outside cultural consultants prior to publication.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You might want to read up on African history then. The distinction is not quite as clear cut with many Africans being the raiders and slavers too.

Mod Note:
This looks suspiciously like trying to dismiss the issue of slavery by blaming the enslaved people - "They did it to themselves! So, what happened here wasn't so bad!"

That's not acceptable.

So instead of arbitrarily deciding based on personal sympathies and gut feeling, which persons have to be offended by some portrayals in RPGs why not let those people speak for themselves?

You seem to have missed the black person upthread who said it was offensive.

So, now you are telling other people to listen, but not listening yourself? Not good.

Between these, it seems time for you to take a break from this discussion.

And have you asked if people from Poland and the Balkans have actually a problem with it?
yeah, since 2 of my friends/players (they are brothers) are northern europen mix (including Poland) I actually have. So I know people who wish that the area of the world was not put in bad light in settings.
Who gets to decide if "that" is something to be caught? Me? You?
experts... people who can study this... I don't WANT to have to study what makes everyone mad. I don't WANT to have to go around and find someone from every region and every life style... but they are hireing consultants to do it. THEY ARE THE EXPERTS...
now like I said many pages ago now, I know writers who have had nothing but positive experience with this type of editor... but my mind never goes to them first it always goes to Star Trek Voyager.
If I had not posted all that stuff you would not have cared one bit about how Poland and Slavs are portrayed (and I have the feeling you still don't).
ironically enough where that MAY be true for many, the way that poland is portrayed is one of the things that HAS been brought to my attention. I don't know any one from Scandinavia though so I don't know much about that... I do know people who have some small native American, and I do know people who are Romani, and people who are Jewish... so you should avoid those too... but I don't really know any gamers of asian descent.

So do you feel offended on behalf or Norwegians for the portrayal of Vikings and NotVikings in D&D? How do you know they are not deeply offended by that?
So far, my Norwegian exchange students over the past three years have not mentioned any issues.

Of course, it's not like I use FR or other large parts of published settings. So, my opinion might not have much weight.

FWIW, they have mentioned that Viking is a job not an ethnicity, though every once and a while the term is used self-referentially.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:
I'm sorry for how long that continued, folks.

We on the staff have little patience for racism, tu quoque ("whataboutism") arguments, sealioning, or apologia for past oppression.

One person has been permabanned so far tonight - their response to the threadban revealed their true colors.

And, by the way, I don't take being called "woke" an insult. A day in which someone calls me woke is a day in which I have probably done something right.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
@Umbran can I be thread banned as well. Removes temptation of debating on this thread, increases my happiness and those here.

Not trying to make a statement with this, just seems best after reflection.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Wow. So that happened. I think having another set of eyes look for blindspots in pre-published material is a good thing. Editors are good. Copy Editors are good too. These are people divorced from the production of the material and can focus on things that the designers and developers juggle with all the rest of their jobs. It creates a better product. I am not seeing the downside to this new policy. The consultants are another voice to make sure that the writing team really means what they are saying.

MGibster

Legend
At this point though, it seems like they just can't stop hitting the 'slave' button without an adult in the room. No matter the risk, every book with a new race or monster HAS to have slaves. I feel that's the underlying issue we're up against here.
Despite being my favorite edition of D&D, I have bought remarkably few books over the course of its life. And I'm unlikely to buy any more books knowing a new edition is around the corner. (Whether they admit that it's a new edition is another story.) My gut feeling is that I don't mind having a setting with slavery so long as the slavers are clearly evil antagonist for the PCs to vanquish with righteous fury. On the other hand, I dont' want it to dominate any setting and if it were removed I probably wouldn't miss it. I can't remember the last time I had a D&D game that featured slave labor being used. It's been a long, long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads