D&D General Would you fequent a gamer's hangout/bar?

Kodiak3D

Explorer
A friend and I were talking about what would be the ideal adult gamer hangout. A business with private rooms for groups to use with nice gaming tables and TV's/monitors for GM's to use if they want, an area with good wargaming tables, a card gaming area, and possibly a small arcade with classic video games and /or pinball. Snack-type foods, maybe burgers/hot dogs/etc, and drinks (beer, but not liquor).

Would you and your group frequent such an establishment?

jgsugden

Legend
These are often attached to game shops in larger communities. Other variants are coffee shops / cafes / restaurants with rooms they either rent out, or allow to be used for gaming. They have different rules. One I liked was a room that rented for $100 but came with a $100 food credit. It was from 6 til midnight.

Stormonu

Legend
I did run my last campaign at the FLGS before the pandemic, so I'm not against a public gaming place. I do prefer private rooms over a common room where things can get quite loud with card tournaments or multiple games going on at once.

Biggest point is always cost - is it worth my money to drag a crate full of gaming stuff & pay for the facility? At $5 for a 4-6 hour session as DM, sure. $3 for a player for the space I'd do as well. Price up from there, I'd start weighing if it was worth it. Cheap food and RPG materials on-hand to buy might get more out of me - one of the things I liked most about playing at the FLGS was buying more RPG stuff for the game either before or after the session!

A number of people have started businesses like that in the past, with varying degrees of success. In the U.S., at least, selling food comes with a set of business requirements (and licenses), and selling alcohol comes with more. Food and alcohol are what are most likely to bring in the money, since most gamers aren't going to pay much to use tables. Every bit of floor space counts in a business, and gaming tables and rooms take up a lot of floor space vs. the hourly income you can expect from them.

That isn't to say that it can't be done, but it is a much more complex business proposition than most people realize. As with comic and game shops (and other hobby businesses), there is a tendency for people to jump into things like that without knowing how to run a real business. I wouldn't even think of opening something like that without working in a similar business (like a cafe or bar) for a couple of years first.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
We have a few in the twin cities. Though, we dont frequent them. Guess we just prefer the privacy at home and dont want to pay for it.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
A friend and I were talking about what would be the ideal adult gamer hangout. A business with private rooms for groups to use with nice gaming tables and TV's/monitors for GM's to use if they want, an area with good wargaming tables, a card gaming area, and possibly a small arcade with classic video games and /or pinball. Snack-type foods, maybe burgers/hot dogs/etc, and drinks (beer, but not liquor).

Would you and your group frequent such an establishment?
In general it depends on a number of factors
1. The people/atmosphere
2. The price
3. The closeness to my home
4. How likely my friends are to come (essentially these factors for them)

You honestly would probably be financially better off renting a community gymnasium on friday/saturday nights and monetize via concession/entry fee/food truck.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Pass on the alcohol (because I have to drive home afterwards) but some inexpensive eats - pick foods that do not make a mess - would be a draw to check the place out.
I already buy a pop or something at FLGS game sessions, as my contribution to cover the store's light / heat / water bill.

Remove ads