D&D (2024) YOU are in charge of the next PHB! What do you change?

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Alternatively: Get rid of Stat Bonuses altogether.

Just make the Point Buy/Standard Array already include the attributes.

Though if we have to keep stat bonuses I'd rather see them tied to Class and Background rather than Race. Or Class and Culture. That way we avoid both racial essentialism and cultural essentialism as things.

Oofta

Legend
True, but nature of the changes are less "I would fix the ranger's favored enemy" and more "I would change the ranger a spell-less wildness warrior" or "we don't even need a ranger class at all" level of changes, which to me suggested that people want a 6e that is again more different than similar to 5e.

Maybe it's the nature of the speculation thread, but its a good thing the next edition isn't being designed by committee.
Which is the problem, right? I mean, I don't even know why we have a ranger any more. You could have a couple of subclasses with wilderness rogue and a fighter with pets.

But even if it's not designed by committee you're going to have to make compromises because you can't please everyone. As I said in another thread, 5E may or may not be the "best" at any particular style or niche but overall it's the "okayest" version so far. I think for the majority of people it's "good enough".

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Alternatively: Get rid of Stat Bonuses altogether.

Just make the Point Buy/Standard Array already include the attributes.

Though if we have to keep stat bonuses I'd rather see them tied to Class and Background rather than Race. Or Class and Culture. That way we avoid both racial essentialism and cultural essentialism as things.
I'd like to see stat bonuses tied to a lifepath system, which is kinda like what you're saying, but not quite. Sadly, lifepath systems need to be bespoke by setting in order to really hum along. Or friggin' massive to cover most eventualities. Neither seems likely.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yea, that's where I am. The requirement to keep it compatible with existing books (which means we can't really change class structure) is too much.
Shhh: This is a simulator to see what a 2024 edition that's not a full 6E could potentially be, while maintaining what appear to be WotC's restrictions on 5E books.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases