D&D (2024) Which section of the 2024 PHB will you check out first?

We've got three months before the 2024 PHB makes its' official debut. But when it does come out at your local bookstore/gaming store, which section of the new PHB will you be most interested in checking out first?

For myself, I'll probably go straight to the chapter on Species first because I want to see what the finalized version of each species is going to look like in the new PHB. More importantly, what the final version of the 2024 Dragonborn are going to look like. I've read and liked most of what I have seen of the playtest version. I am also curious on whether or not the new version of the Aasimar will go beyond angels and cover Aasimar who are the descendants of other celestials.

After species, I probably will check out the chapter on Classes to see what each of the classes now looks like. And I'll start with the two classes I am currently familiar with in 5e. The Fighter and the Ranger. After reading a number of forum threads on the Ranger, I am hoping that this class will receive a little more satisfaction that its' predecessor.

Then I'll jump over to feats. I am curious about the Fighting Style feats. I am a fan of Two-Weapon fighting, and I am hoping that this style works better in the new PHB. IMO 5e nerfed this fighting style for the Fighter by not increasing the number of offhand attacks you can do. Are Weapon Masteries, feats? Or they something you can unlock with a particular weapon or fighting style?

Lastly, I'll visit the chapter on Spells. I am more interested in martial classes and martial half-casters than full-casters. But I do like looking at spells just to see what they can do. ;)

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
Likely classes to see what it changed from the 2014 5e book. By that time though there will be plenty of threads about the changes in races and spells to decide on what I look at next.

Warpiglet-7

Lord of the depths
Ha! The art!

Then I want to see how they discuss skills. I would love the general explanation and then a few options. The dm could choose x or they could choose y in terms of ways to handle resolution.

I want to see what they say about stealth and groups checks…knowledge checks, the whole bit.

payn

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Bard, you always start with bard.

636272705936709430.png

GreyLord

Legend
We've got three months before the 2024 PHB makes its' official debut. But when it does come out at your local bookstore/gaming store, which section of the new PHB will you be most interested in checking out first?

For myself, I'll probably go straight to the chapter on Species first because I want to see what the finalized version of each species is going to look like in the new PHB. More importantly, what the final version of the 2024 Dragonborn are going to look like. I've read and liked most of what I have seen of the playtest version. I am also curious on whether or not the new version of the Aasimar will go beyond angels and cover Aasimar who are the descendants of other celestials.

After species, I probably will check out the chapter on Classes to see what each of the classes now looks like. And I'll start with the two classes I am currently familiar with in 5e. The Fighter and the Ranger. After reading a number of forum threads on the Ranger, I am hoping that this class will receive a little more satisfaction that its' predecessor.

Then I'll jump over to feats. I am curious about the Fighting Style feats. I am a fan of Two-Weapon fighting, and I am hoping that this style works better in the new PHB. IMO 5e nerfed this fighting style for the Fighter by not increasing the number of offhand attacks you can do. Are Weapon Masteries, feats? Or they something you can unlock with a particular weapon or fighting style?

Lastly, I'll visit the chapter on Spells. I am more interested in martial classes and martial half-casters than full-casters. But I do like looking at spells just to see what they can do. ;)

I'll see if a book is open to browse. If it is, I'll look first at the martial section. My one complaint about 5e was that martials didn't get a bonus to hit over what other classes got. The Fighter got the same +2 to +6 proficiency to hit in combat that any other class did.

That never sat well with me.

If that's fixed, I'll buy the PHB.

If it's not, I won't.

I already have 5e otherwise. If the things I felt needed to change were changed, I'll get it. If not, then there's no reason to spend money on it...at least for me.

Edit: In fact, I think that probably should be a general sentiment (even if it is not). This version is supposed to update and improve the existing game. If it does that for someone, I would HIGHLY encourage them to buy the books. If not...well...is there really a need to buy it?

Remove ads