D&D (2024) YOU are in charge of the next PHB! What do you change?

ph0rk

Friendship is Magic, and Magic is Heresy.
One inadvertent result of just sticking with 9 levels of spell casting for most casters is they all have gas tanks of roughly the same size. In a game where resource attrition is both an important part of balance but also buried in the texts and interpreted very differently, this is a net negative.

Bards do all sorts of things - them having fewer overall spells per day would be suitable, especially compared to previous versions. The same goes for Clerics and Druids. The idea that they generally cast as many high level spells as a wizard or sorcerer is strange and not a good reflection of previous editions; if we are to take Crawford at his word on twitter and assume the spell lists are flavor only, if you could use the wizard list on any caster chassis you wished with some reflavoring - why would you play the wizard class?

One advantage of moving to a original-class-casting-slots-only sort of multiclass system is different slot advancement charts for casters. This also then opens up the design room for prepared-slot wizards again.

Spell points for some casters would also make this much more manageable.

Sithlord

Adventurer
I think bards, rangers--if they persist in giving rangers spells--and maybe even paladins should be more like the warlocks, in the sense of their magical powers being chosen like invocations are rather than just being spells.
I like the invocations. I don’t see rangers casting spells like a wizard. It’s more of being in touch with the mystical side of nature. A heightened awareness and bond with nature.

hopeless

Adventurer
I think bards, rangers--if they persist in giving rangers spells--and maybe even paladins should be more like the warlocks, in the sense of their magical powers being chosen like invocations are rather than just being spells.
Actually that's not a bad idea!
They are more or less swearing a pact to a extra dimensional entity for their abilities anyway!
Nice.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter

I will say, yes, that magical powers for all magical classes should be more than just spells. Passive magical abilities, active magical abilities... they should exist.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I decided to change my post to just have a link since the post was really long.
D&D 6E changes

Add a side-bar suggesting to make languages geographically dependent rather than based on race.
I'd include suggestions for other options as well, like only having a single language on the world or, languages based who or what created the race to begin with. I'd also include Human as a language, and make Common nobody's native language. And I'd possibly introduce levels of fluency (even if it's just broken and fluent--my group had a lot of fun with that when we played using GURPS).

Double the Hp progression for all classes, as well as for monsters in the Monster Manuel. This is to make combat last longer and don't end in just 15 seconds.
That seems like it would make fights a slog. Personally, I'd want to see hit points reduced all around, more like their 1e versions (I'd be tempted, if I were making 6e, to have people stop getting hp at 9th level or so). Although since you are suggesting doubling hp for everything, PCs and monsters alike, I could easily see a sidebar making the suggestion for doubling, tripling, or even quadrupling the hp but keeping relative CRs the same if your table likes long combats.

if she/he/they/it*
Stick with either they or it all around. Anything else is unwieldy.

1. I’d put out a red box starter kit that is basically a mix of 5e and some simple ideas, with a Warrior, Thief, Mage, and a 4th class that mixes magic and martial prowess. It’d be the new D&D Basic. Occasional expansion boxes, and stuff likeDCs and enemy math would be the same between this and D&D. Basically HeroQuest with more roleplaying prompts.
I'd love if they took their Young Adventurer's Guides and added basic, 5e-compatible mechanics for levels 1-6. Get rid of death saves, and this gives me a decent OSR game and something to get my nephew for his birthday.

Remove ads