• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Zero Divide - Episode #1 - "Looking Glass"

Avalon®

First Post
Vanifae said:
Surge

The laptop turns on but isn’t connected to any network. As long as he has been here he hasn’t found any network connections but he really can’t decide if that is odd or not given the circumstances.

Smells like there is breakfast downstairs, and he can hear people upstairs.

With a sigh, Surge's face takes on a crestfallen look. It was the same every day. There wasn't a network connection to be had anywhere. Maybe this time..., he thought.

Tapping a few keys, Surge tries using a program to look for any kind of network connection. Anything at all would do, be it a wifi node or a satellite uplink.

The smell of cooked food made Surge hungry so he decided to go down and grab a bite in the kitchen. Maybe he could then help out Ian with that Mustang.

He was halfway down the stairs when it seemed all hell broke loose. With a surge of adrenaline, Surge loses any thought of food he was having and tries to look for any of the others.

He goes to where there was most certainly another resident. He tries looking for Ian. "What the hell is going on Ian?"

Vanifae

First Post
Avalon® said:
He goes to where there was most certainly another resident. He tries looking for Ian. "What the hell is going on Ian?"
Surge gets to the garage just as Michael does, the two nearly crashing into each other trying to find Ian who is sitting in an old beat up muscle car. Just as they arrive the Estate itself burst into flames, several windows bursting out with flames!

Mira speaks, “Ian listen to me, you need to get to the basement, it is safe there; the instability should not affect it. If you want to survive you need to get to the basement, get the others there. If you can bring a radio with you.”

Alan

Alan spends an HP and stabilizes Vanessa.

Alan feels heat, the sound of cracking wood and flames fill his ears, and smoke is filtering up to cloud his vision. Vanessa grabs him, “I don’t… understand… not… error… daddy… no… die… error, I don’t…”

She relaxes his breathing slowed, “Dad I am sorry, I didn’t mean for this to happen. But you can’t stay here, you need to get to the basement, it is imperative.”

Outside

Dee looks around, “This isn’t good we need to find some kind of shelter…”

The Estate bursts into flames, windows shattering exploding outward from the structure, “Where are the others, we need to get together and fast.”

James Heard

Explorer
Vanifae said:
Alan

Alan spends an HP and stabilizes Vanessa.

Alan feels heat, the sound of cracking wood and flames fill his ears, and smoke is filtering up to cloud his vision. Vanessa grabs him, “I don’t… understand… not… error… daddy… no… die… error, I don’t…”

She relaxes his breathing slowed, “Dad I am sorry, I didn’t mean for this to happen. But you can’t stay here, you need to get to the basement, it is imperative.”
He nods, hikes her up over his shoulder in a fireman's carry, and makes his way toward the basement.

"The basement! Everyone in the house to the basement!" Alan shouts, hoping that if there is anyone left inside the house they can still hear him.

OOC: I have no clue how much Vanessa weighs, obviously. Alan's max heavy load is 260lbs, if he needs to then he'll spend a hero point on the Rage feat to gain him an extra four points of strength though. That will push his max load up to 460lbs, in case she's been swallowing rocks or if I need to knock the encumbrance down so that he can move quickly enough to survive whatever imminent collapse that has been caused.

Shalimar

First Post
"Where exactly do you think there is cover out here?" Haven asks, hopping down from his the wall. "I can wrap us in a cocoon of earth, but that would just pprotect us from physical danger, what do you do when reality itself is breaking?"

"Maybe someplace in the house? I mean, if that is the center of the program, then the house itself would be more stable than the further edges out here, but the place is on frikken fire...unless I smother it which could just make this worse."

Hammerhead

Explorer
Outside

"Mira's on the radio, talking to Ian," Michael informs the others. "She's telling him that the basement will be safe against the instability. I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but I guess someone figured Mira's voice would be one we'd trust. I'll go tell Ashley," he says, the real Michael sprinting towards the estate while his butterknife-wielding double running after the departing Ashley, screaming "Stop!"

Garage

"Vanessa's injured, upstairs by the third floor," Michael informs Ian hurriedly. "Are you heading to the basement right away, or do you want me to head back up and bring her there?"

Shalimar

First Post
Deciding to risk it, Haven reachs out to the earth in front of Ashley, raising it up in a solid wall the height of the stone one she is paralleling to stop her foward progress so that Michael's clone can catch up.

"Lets more it people. Down to the basement." He orders, his playfulness gone in the crisis. He grabs facades arm and runs, pulling her along in his wake as he runs towards the house.

Velmont

First Post
"Michael, can you duplicate and tells the other to go to teh basement, quickly!" Ian tells to Micheal while he picks a tools in his toolbox and quickly remove the radio from the socket, making sure to bring the only working speaker with it. "Ok, I'll bring the radio with me, Micheal will make sure the other are coming. So tell me, what is happening?" asks Ian to Mira's voice.

I am trusting a voice coming from an old radio that has no power feed.

"Bring her down. I'll take care of her. Are you near everyone or someone is missing?" he adds to Micheal.

Craft [Electronic] +5 (Including mw tools bonus, which I forgot with all the other rolls). He will take 10 on that roll, using Skill mastery feat.

Vanifae

First Post
Velmont said:
"Bring her down. I'll take care of her. Are you near everyone or someone is missing?" he adds to Micheal.

Craft [Electronic] +5 (Including mw tools bonus, which I forgot with all the other rolls). He will take 10 on that roll, using Skill mastery feat.
Michael’s duplicate rolls a 24 reflex save, Ian gets a 23 total reflex save, he takes 10 on his craft check and gets a 17 total, and he succeeds in removing the radio. Ian rolls a Toughness save of 16 and is bruised and injured; Michael’s double rolls a 24 and is unscathed.

Michael’s duplicate dives for cover as a tree and debris smash through the roof, ripping the walls and structure asunder. Ian is not so lucky he dives into the old Mustang for safety but glass and debris scratch his face and exposed limbs… but thankfully he is alive… though currently trapped inside the car.

Michael’s duplicate can’t see if he survived or not, dust is in the air the tree and roof cover the vehicle.

Surge rolls a 6 total Reflex save I will wait to see if he wishes to use an HP or not.

Alan

Adrenalin pumps through his body as he lifts Vanessa over his shoulder in a fireman’s carry. He turns to the stairway but it collapses under the stresses of the fire and a collapsing tree. The room behind him has a window he could possibly make or he could drop down through the dire and debris a story or two to the ground floor…

He uses a Hero point to gain the Rage feat for his next action.

Outside

Ashley is brought up short by a wall that rises from the ground just as high as the original walls. A tree tumbles down just as Ashley looks up the looming shadow giving her pause…

Ashley rolls a 6 reflex save but…

Dee shouts, “Ash!” she rushes forward using a Herculean effort and knocks Ashley out the way at the last possible mount sending her flying into the wall with a thud as the tree crashes down on top of the hopefully invincible young woman.

But even with that threat gone for the moment… the earth shifts… as if a terrible earthquake is striking the Estate.

Michael rolls a Reflex save of 9, Ashley gets a 12 for real this time, Façade rolls a 12, and Haven gets a 16 on his roll; I will wait to see if anyone uses an HP. Please post your characters in the Rogue’s Gallery thread here: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p=3985648 if you have not done so already.

James Heard

Explorer
Vanifae said:
Alan

Adrenalin pumps through his body as he lifts Vanessa over his shoulder in a fireman’s carry. He turns to the stairway but it collapses under the stresses of the fire and a collapsing tree. The room behind him has a window he could possibly make or he could drop down through the dire and debris a story or two to the ground floor…

He uses a Hero point to gain the Rage feat for his next action.
Utterly fearless, and knowing that his female charge is stable, Alan pauses long enough to gesture tough straps connecting the two of them and a rough circle of ...something fire retardant? He hoped. Kicking it off before him like some strange surfboard, he drops off into the flames hoping that Vanessa will be OK.

Vanifae

First Post
James Heard said:
Utterly fearless, and knowing that his female charge is stable, Alan pauses long enough to gesture tough straps connecting the two of them and a rough circle of ...something fire retardant? He hoped. Kicking it off before him like some strange surfboard, he drops off into the flames hoping that Vanessa will be OK.
He rolls a 7 Toughness check, and a 12 Fortitude check including the bonus from Rage. Let me know if you wish to use an HP, Alan has used 2 thus far.

Remove ads