Zero Divide: Episode #2 "Black Star"

Vanifae

First Post
Hammerhead said:
The Aircraft

"You know, I never know what this idiot is babbling about either," Michael's duplicate says scornfully. "So," he asks cheerfully, "Where are we going?"
Ashana responds, “Biggs I want you to upload those samples right away; let’s find out just who these people are and what they were doing there.”

Biggs nods ands heads up to the front of the craft, the second agent stares at the two newcomers. Ashana addresses Alan first, “What do you mean that he could just ask them, you mentioned that this,” she gestures to Michael, “is just an avatar? It sounds like you mean this is some kind of fake… a double? It looks rather human to me,” the attractive Junian responds.

In the better light of the craft her features are much easier to discern, it seems that Junians and Humans have similar body types, the main superficial difference is the green skin and facial markings… that and the yellow/gold irises. But on the surface at least Junians appear similar to humans.

Ashana glares at Michael, “So Georgy is there any truth to what Doctor Tighe is saying?”

The Tram

The tram starts moving, gliding out of the structure fairly quickly into a tunnel, the only coming from the Tram itself. Talos responds to Ian, “Well human male, I do not know your benefactor directly, I was paid well, given explicit directions and that is all I need to consider. That is the way things are done here on Haven V, this is considered a Free Zone, essentially private neutral territory where the mandates of the Galactic Republic Council do not reach. It makes it much easier to pursue research in areas that are considered illegal to more as you humans would say provincial individuals.”

“That does not mean there are no rules, there are rules, and you need a great deal of capital to set up a research lab on this world or orbiting it, but if you have enough backing then you will find Haven V to be an amicable and welcome place. You are funny human, how can you lose 200 years, by my studies humans rarely live longer then 150 at best, is this perhaps a joke? I do enjoy learning more about your species,” Talos adds.

Dee glances at Ian, “Yeah it was a joke, we just kind of feel a little out of touch, right?”

Talos replies to Michael, “Oh human male thank you for your praise, you make my eyes glimmer with happiness.”

Vanifae

First Post
James Heard said:
"There's some indications of age regression going on along with the other reactions: hypersexuality, a heightened distrust of authority, the whole fanciful pretend names they've invented for themselves on occasion?"

Alan shrugs, gesturing helplessly with his hands.
"Any reason why you seem unnafected, Doctor Tighe," she responds.

Shalimar

First Post
"What exactly is the idiot telling them about us?" Haven asked, looking out the window wistfully at the tunnel instead of open air. It was not surprising that Melvin was being an arse and doing what he could to screw everyone over.

"I like the name of the planet, whoever picked it had taste."

James Heard

Explorer
"I suppose that depends on what's real and what isn't, and what's human and what isn't? Doesn't it?"

"Aren't we all just engine drivers of consciousness guiding the framework of our biology? Georgy has more than one choo-choo, a fact that I'm sure he's very proud of but would seem to me to be rather confusing in terms of self-identification."

"Is he the real one or the clever duplicate? Alan lifts his hands helplessly. "Does that even matter?"

Alan frowns.

"He's still who he is, no matter where he is, in as many places as he is, in any given instance. I think, with a few exceptions. Since he apparently didn't come along because he trusted my good sense, it follows that this is likely the projection, however based upon the physical it might seems. The Herr Heisenberg's cat, no doubt, would be horrified."

"Any reason why you seem unaffected, Doctor Tighe," she responds.

"Knowing my responsibilities, focusing upon them, has helped me immensely. Other than that? Perhaps I'm just stodgy and hopelessly adult by nature."

Vanifae

First Post
Shalimar said:
"What exactly is the idiot telling them about us?" Haven asked, looking out the window wistfully at the tunnel instead of open air. It was not surprising that Melvin was being an arse and doing what he could to screw everyone over.

"I like the name of the planet, whoever picked it had taste."
Talos nods at Haven, “Not many appreciate the Human styled naming convention, which is not surprising considering your species is a second tier species in the galactic community, but I believe it will not be long till your species is invited into the first tier; I mean if the filthy and barbaric Junians can have a seat on the Council surely there is room for your species.”

“But humans you should not concern yourself with the concerns and observations of other species; even if you are a lesser species I find your kind to be interesting to study and observe; for one your eyes are quite small which makes you look rather hideous on the whole, but I have looked past your superficial shortcomings to see that your species is not so bad, perhaps in a century or two you will be perfectly ready to join the Council. Maybe three of your Earth centuries; I find your species adherence to your world centric calendar a delightful and humorous affectation,” Talos replies.

Alan and Michael’s Duplicate

Ashana directs her question to Michael, “So which is it, are you the original clone, or some duplicate?”

Last edited:

James Heard

Explorer
"You're certain he's some form of clone, then?" Alan asks curiously.

That lovely shade of green has something to do with photosynthesis? Intentional, or a lucky circumstance of biology?

Unbidden his hand lifts and twitches, resisting the urge to touch her skin. The doctor rubs his hand preciously, as if to remind himself these are possibly as dangerously-minded as the idiots inside the simulation with him.

Hammerhead

Explorer
The Tram

"Call me Michael, Talos. It sounds like the Golden Rule applies here in Haven...which, for all we know, was named after you. Or by you, for that matter," Michael says, staring out the window. "It's nice to hear that our species is so popular...it sounds like you don't like the Junians much? Why not?"

We made First Contact, and we're minor characters? Presumably we defeated the Junians in that war, and yet they're on this governing body and we're not. Oh well, not really my concern.

"Right now, Alan's made quite a few disparaging comments about our psychology, apparently discounting his own assault on our benefactor. And he's trying to tell the cleaner team that I'm spying on them through my 'friend'; fortunately, effective communication doesn't seem to be his strong point."

The Aircraft

"Hey," Michael says defensively, "I've been able to figure out I'm a clone. I don't really know what he means by avatars or duplicates. If I had to guess, I'd say that something backfired during the cloning or reawakening process, destroying his memories and leaving him with some kind of mental condition."

"Of course, from a mental standpoint I realize I might not be one hundred percent, since it's entirely possible I hallucinated the image of that child...I would have gotten away, if I hadn't decided to help her. Probably a random firing of a synapse or something."

I need to convince Alan that Ashana and her corporate thugs are not friendly...although I am impressed by her ability to manipulate him. I wish I could remember more of our past.

"You and I are both clones of the original, Alan. Ashana and I were friends from way back," he says, flashing a smile at her. "So come on, how did I get killed?"

Bluff, bluff, bluff the clever Junian. Bluff +10.

Shayuri

First Post
"Talos," Facade asks abruptly. "It occurs to me that these 'cleaners' are a lot less trigger happy than we were expecting. Exactly what fate would you say awaits Alan? Who has him, exactly?"

Vanifae

First Post
James Heard said:
"You're certain he's some form of clone, then?" Alan asks curiously.

That lovely shade of green has something to do with photosynthesis? Intentional, or a lucky circumstance of biology?

Unbidden his hand lifts and twitches, resisting the urge to touch her skin. The doctor rubs his hand preciously, as if to remind himself these are possibly as dangerously-minded as the idiots inside the simulation with him.
Michael rolls a 20 on his Bluff check.

“Fine, forget about that, I am more interested in your interactions with Doctor Tighe, did you know why she was keeping you there? I am trying to find her, her life may be in danger, VSC is not exactly pleased with her and neither is the Ghorvan Cartel… and I am not sure which is worse.”

She leans back looking at Michael after he asked the question about how he died, “Omega Tau III, 2169 by Earth time, two weeks before the holiday you humans call Christmas. Contact was lost with that colony, I… don’t know what happened but I was in orbit at the time…”

She stands and walks to the front, “You died there, Georgy.”

The silent agent continues staring at the two from behind his visor.

The Tram

“Of course male human, Michael it is, the pleasure is all mine. Oh and your species is quite famous, you have earned a place as a second tier species quite quickly, and despite some minor setbacks, you have made progress and expanded your influence greatly. Unlike those Junians, filthy species, warlike, brutal… it is said that amongst all the languages and dialect on their home world they have no word for friend or mercy, hah can you imagine that? Never trust a Junian humans, that is my advice to you,” he smiles, or at least he tries.

“Oh do you not recall their bloody siege of your colony during the Incident 406, I believe you humans call it the First Contact war or conflict. They murdered millions of your kind in retaliation for the loss of a few thousand. If it had not been for the Council stepping in, who knows what brutality the Junians could have wreaked,” Talos steeples his spindly blue fingers.

Vanifae

First Post
Shayuri said:
"Talos," Facade asks abruptly. "It occurs to me that these 'cleaners' are a lot less trigger happy than we were expecting. Exactly what fate would you say awaits Alan? Who has him, exactly?"
“Oh human you would be remiss to think that just because they stay their hand now does not mean they are safe. I would not trust anything they say, and most likely your friends are dead; or will be dead soon. But I have a suggestion humans if you seek some form of protection or perhaps information you should contact the Ghorvan,” Talos notes.

Remove ads