Zero Divide: Episode #2 "Black Star"

James Heard

Explorer
Hammerhead said:
The Aircraft

"Hey," Michael says defensively, "I've been able to figure out I'm a clone. I don't really know what he means by avatars or duplicates. If I had to guess, I'd say that something backfired during the cloning or reawakening process, destroying his memories and leaving him with some kind of mental condition."

"Of course, from a mental standpoint I realize I might not be one hundred percent, since it's entirely possible I hallucinated the image of that child...I would have gotten away, if I hadn't decided to help her. Probably a random firing of a synapse or something."

I need to convince Alan that Ashana and her corporate thugs are not friendly...although I am impressed by her ability to manipulate him. I wish I could remember more of our past.

"You and I are both clones of the original, Alan. Ashana and I were friends from way back," he says, flashing a smile at her. "So come on, how did I get killed?"
Alan snorts.

"You're not making sense, or listening to the woman while you're not answering her question."

Alan rolls his eyes.

"I am Doctor Alan Tighe. She confirmed this with a retinal scan. This is something that could not happen if I were a clone, because the pattern in someone's retinas isn't as simple as manufacturing their blood type or genetics. It's a developed pattern, as individual to the womb you were formed in and your very early childhood as it is an identification of who you are. Even identical twins don't have the same pattern, and a clone would be no different."

"If you are, in fact, deceased then your resurrection is owed to something rather more incredible than something as trite some callow-handed cloning process. Assuming that there isn't more than one process going on here, of course, and that the commonalities in background continue."

"While I venture some cloning has taken place, I'm fairly certain we've been radically... repaired rather than replaced."

Vanifae said:
“Fine, forget about that, I am more interested in your interactions with Doctor Tighe, did you know why she was keeping you there? I am trying to find her, her life may be in danger, VSC is not exactly pleased with her and neither is the Ghorvan Cartel… and I am not sure which is worse.”
"Why would the Ghorvan Cartel be involved in this?"

Vanifae

First Post
James Heard said:
"Why would the Ghorvan Cartel be involved in this?"
“She owes them a great deal of money; criminal syndicates tend to look down upon one skipping out on their debts,” the silent agent speaks up, Ashana having left the room.

Victim

First Post
"Giving up information on us? How poor. It's one thing for him to go his own way, another for him to comprimise us." His own mental state leaves something to be desired as well. He's responding by rote instead of thinking about the situation - where did he think he'd get lab access to perform tests on those samples?

"It's possible that they were here on a recruitment trip. Or they're keeping their options open." Killing is rather irrevokable, after all. Right?

James Heard

Explorer
Vanifae said:
“She owes them a great deal of money; criminal syndicates tend to look down upon one skipping out on their debts,” the silent agent speaks up, Ashana having left the room.
"And what's VSC's interest then? Did they loan her money too?"

"Are you going to shoot me if I get up to look after her?" Alan cocks his chin toward the forward cabin.

Vanifae

First Post
James Heard said:
"And what's VSC's interest then? Did they loan her money too?"
“Doctor Tighe worked for VSC, they funded this operation before things went south,” he responds.
James Heard said:
"Are you going to shoot me if I get up to look after her?" Alan cocks his chin toward the forward cabin.
“I would be more worried about her shooting you, Junians are not exactly like humans when it comes to emotions, take a hint from me if she is upset then it is best to leave her alone,” the man says.

Biggs walk in from the front, “We should be landing shortly.”

Michael can feel that he is reaching the limit of controlling this duplicate… it’s like a slight dull pain in the back of his head.

James Heard

Explorer
Vanifae said:
“I would be more worried about her shooting you, Junians are not exactly like humans when it comes to emotions, take a hint from me if she is upset then it is best to leave her alone,” the man says.
"Really? Fascinating... Is there any literature on that I might read?"

"He's Biggs. Your name is?" Alan asks politely.

Vanifae

First Post
James Heard said:
"Really? Fascinating... Is there any literature on that I might read?"

"He's Biggs. Your name is?" Alan asks politely.
"Yeah because I read books all day... you can call me Wedge," he replies with a snort.

Hammerhead

Explorer
The Tram

"Yeah, why kill someone now when you pump them for information, then kill them? I don't envy Alan's fate; then again, they must might keep him alive on the long-term, despite his flaws," Michael says with a grimace. "Plus, he seems to be showing off for the hot alien woman holding him at gunpoint."

"I'll be sure to keep in mind what you said about Junians, if I ever meet one...so what's the gossip on your people, Talos," he says with a forced smile as the pain of the separation gnaws at him. I need to hold on...this is painful, but I need to see where they took Alan. Just another minute or two.

"I don't suppose you have some kind of minor painkiller?"

The Aircraft

Michael rises to his feet from the chair, rather unsteadily. He closes his eyes for a moment, concentrating, then follows Ashana. "Chill guys, we've got history," he informs the two thugs. "I'll be alright."

While following, Michael attempts to look at any charts, automaps, windows, or other objects in the craft that might give some clue as to their location. Once he finds Ashana, his tone changes from the arrogant one he typically used with her to a softer, more understanding one. "I guess this is hard for both of us."

She seems pretty affected...and no VSC cleaner is going to be some soppy, emotional time bomb. She'd have to be cold and tough. No way just the return of a dead friend, even one gone for fifty years, could have affected her like this. We must have been involved or something. I'm not sure that'd be even possible though, and it seems a little disturbing right now.

Avalon®

First Post
"Talos, who are these Ghorvans? Are they like you or are they another species all together. Also, what species are you if you mind me asking?"

Remove ads