• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[AU] Siege on Ebonring Keep

Old Fezziwig

Well, that was a real trip for biscuits.
"My people often do this to rhodin skulls, which are notoriously flimsy." Khajom nods and picks the dog's head up and probes it with his fingers. Once he gets the skin out of the way, the litorian looks for places where the skull feels weak. When he finds them, he sinks his claws into them a little way to get a grip and then starts to pry the skull apart.

If this feels like it's not going to work, Khajom will put the skull down before he damages it and suggest that Pyior may want a saw after all.

Rybaer

First Post
Pyior and Khajom return outside to fetch the rhodin corpse. Several soldiers wrinkle their noses at you as you bring it into the camp. A minor officer inquires as to your intentions and is a bit surprised by Pyior's interest in the anatomy. He eventually just chuckles and suggests that you might use the butchery table...as long as you clean up after yourself. The camp isn't big enough to warrant a full-time butcher, but there is a table and some knives set aside for the purpose near one corner of the camp.

Pyior casts Creature Loresight three time upon the body and learns the following:

1 - species: Rhodin (already known)
2 - name: Gurlathck
3 - class: warrior
4 - means of death: slain in combat (already known)
5 - most recent, basic goal: fleeing (recall, the creature didn't live long enough to even attempt to flee from your group)

Khajom isn't quite able to pry the skull open with his claws, but is quite capable of helping open it with the assorted butchery knives and cleavers. Pyior spends several hours digging through the pulpy tissue and diagramming what he learns.

The others follow the map sketched out by Iriana and head upstairs. The upper level is much different from the cavernous main hall - a narrow passage winds around the outside wall and all the rooms are on the interior of the building. There are many arrow slits overlooking the camp, but no true windows.

An unusual feature repeats itself several times through the hallway - a section of wall about 10 inches wide that doesn't match up to the rest of the stonework. In each case, there is a recessed groove in the opposite side of the hall that matches. When you finally enter "your" room, the nature of this feature becomes apparent. Several sections of wall stick into your room, set into runners in such a way that they can be pushed out into the hallways and section it off. This entire level appears to be built around partitioned defense against an invading force.

Your room is large, but quite bare. There are a couple entrances, as well as a stairwell leading up to the roof. Stacked near the stairwell are a few boxes that contain spare bows, crossbows, strings, arrows, and so on. There are a couple thin, musty straw matresses piled in one corner. As there is no natural light source or window in this room, you'll have to provide one or leave open a door to the hall or roof to let in any light.

It's presently early afternoon. Pyior and Khajom will be gone for a couple hours completing their dissection. Are any of you doing anything here aside from resting and/or tending to your gear?

Mirth

Explorer
"Since we are all waiting for the scouts to come back from the Floating Forest, I am going to see if I can scrounge up something to eat," Ys-Baddaden says to the others as they survey the room. "Anyone else want to join me? Mayhaps once our bellies are full, we can survey the keep and find out how the rhodin were able to sneak away with this so-called Ebonring. As the Truthspeaker indicated, there must be more hidden entrances than the one she used herself."

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
"It has a name! Isn't that facinating, Khajom?! This has significant implications with regards to the meta-cognitive level of the creature! Awareness of self, social structures... Hmmm... yes."

Pyior excitedly wipes his bloody hands off on his robe and starts scribbling in his journal.

Rybaer

First Post
OOC - I'm going to be off on vacation until Feb. 1. Next post will have to wait until after that. Although it's been running just a wee bit slow, I think we're about to finally start hitting into the heart of the story soon. Something to look forward to, I guess.

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
After finishing the dissection and rejoining his comrades-in-arms, Pyior says: "I've been thinking, friends, it seems certain we will encounter more rhodin in our mission. You all know my feelings on the subject, but I also realize that diplomacy may not be possible, especially as none of us speaks their language--a situation I intend to address as soon as possible. So, I believe it would be prudent if we pool our knowledge about these creatures."

As Khajom opens his mouth, Pyior laughs and cuts him off "Khajom, I know! I know! They eat their dead. What else do you know about them?"

OOC: My intent with this is to establish what we all know in character and what we don't know. And thus what knowledge it's fair for us to act on in going forward. Pyior will also use Knowledge: Dangerous Creatures with his book.

Last edited:

Old Fezziwig

Well, that was a real trip for biscuits.
Khajom scowls good-naturedly and then looks thoughtful for a moment. "They eat the dead of their enemies, too. They're extremely lazy, selfish, undependable, dirty, backstabbing, lying, cheating, swindling--I mean, they're lazy and selfish--they prefer stealing things to making things."

OOC: I figured Khajom would know this information, if he doesn't let me know, and I'll take it down and modify it.

Remove ads