• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Have you bought any (non DM's Guild] 3rd party 5E products?

Have you bought any [non DM's Guild] 3rd party 5E products?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • No

Votes: 27 28.4%

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I backed Fifth Edition Fantasy and Skulduggery on Kickstarter. One of these days I'm going to break down and get EN5ider.

S'mon

Legend
Bought a Goodman Games 5e adventure on Saturday http://www.goodman-games.com/5555preview.html. It's absolutely terrible - 16 pages for £6.99, much of which is badly formated stat blocks of MM creatures, and a 12th level adventure (mostly very weak foes) with million gold piece, multi-page treasure hoard (comprising 3 x level 17-20 hoard rolls) with huge numbers of magic items, guarded by a single adult CR 17 green dragon. The writer obviously didn't realise how the 5e treasure system works. It states inside that it's intended for a single session of play - well I buy products like Dyson's Delve for ca £12 that give me dozens of sessions of play, or even an AP hardback adventure 1-15 levels, ca 40 sessions, for twice that.

I'm not buying any more Goodman stuff.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
The writer obviously didn't realise how the 5e treasure system works.
I'm not sure that's the case, considering

"If a treasure hoard seems too small, you can roll multiple times on the table. Use this approach for monsters that are particularly fond of amassing treasure. Legendary creatures that accumulate treasure are wealthier than normal. Always roll at least twice on the appropriate table and add the results together."

Is a quote taken directly from the section "Using the Treasure Hoard Tables", preceding another quote that says "You can hand out as much or as little treasure as you want."

Not that saying the module has too much treasure isn't a valid complaint against it - just that claiming the writer doesn't know how the system works isn't a valid way to phrase that complaint in a case where the system works literally however a particular adventure-planning person wishes it to work.

I've picked up the Frog God/Necromancer titles "5th Edition Foes" and "Book of Lost Spells", backed Sasquatch's "Primeval Thule" Kickstarter, and am an en5ider patron.

S'mon

Legend
I'm not sure that's the case, considering

"If a treasure hoard seems too small, you can roll multiple times on the table. Use this approach for monsters that are particularly fond of amassing treasure. Legendary creatures that accumulate treasure are wealthier than normal. Always roll at least twice on the appropriate table and add the results together."

Is a quote taken directly from the section "Using the Treasure Hoard Tables", preceding another quote that says "You can hand out as much or as little treasure as you want."

Not that saying the module has too much treasure isn't a valid complaint against it - just that claiming the writer doesn't know how the system works isn't a valid way to phrase that complaint in a case where the system works literally however a particular adventure-planning person wishes it to work.

My objection was that epic hoards are for level 17-20 PCs fighting epic threats like ancient dragons, not adult dragons who happen to be cr 17. If it's a level 12 adventure you use the level 11-16 hoard table (x3 if desired), not the level 17-20 table. Hoard level refers to PC level not monster cr. There is no level 30 table for fighting tarrasques!

Edit: A GM can do what he wants, but if you're writing a published adventure then think about what you're doing.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
My objection was that epic hoards are for level 17-20 PCs fighting epic threats like ancient dragons, not adult dragons who happen to be cr 17. If it's a level 12 adventure you use the level 11-16 hoard table (x3 if desired), not the level 17-20 table. Hoard level refers to PC level not monster cr. There is no level 30 table for fighting tarrasques!
"When determining the contents of a hoard belonging to one monster, use the table that corresponds to that monster's challenge rating," suggests that a CR 17 dragon certain does use the CR 17+ treasure table, and clearly stats that the hoard level refers to CR, not PC level.

As for tarrasque, or other CR 30 monsters, they use the table labelled "Treasure Hoard: Challenge 17+"

Again, not to say that the complaint of their being more treasure than you think there should be isn't valid - just that your claims that something is objectively (rather than subjectively) incorrect appear not to be the case.

S'mon

Legend
"When determining the contents of a hoard belonging to one monster, use the table that corresponds to that monster's challenge rating," suggests that a CR 17 dragon certain does use the CR 17+ treasure table, and clearly stats that the hoard level refers to CR, not PC level.

As for tarrasque, or other CR 30 monsters, they use the table labelled "Treasure Hoard: Challenge 17+"

Again, not to say that the complaint of their being more treasure than you think there should be isn't valid - just that your claims that something is objectively (rather than subjectively) incorrect appear not to be the case.

OK... a million gp & page of items in an adult dragon hoard still felt wrong. :)

Fifth Edition Foes, Book of Lost Spells, and Quests of Doom. All of which were excellent, especially the Book of Lost Spells.

Plus some EN5IDER stuff from Patreon, which I've never actually read.

Remove ads