The In Character Character Game: Part III

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
"You don't need to accept the premises; many debates are about the premises, not the validity of the conclusion reached from them. As far as solipsism goes, it's entirely possible that someone actually believes this world is fictual, but if they do and are still talking to you, they're hypocrites. It doesn't take the assumption of any premise to point out that inconsistency."

ThoughtBubble

First Post
Paxus Asclepius said:
"You don't need to accept the premises; many debates are about the premises, not the validity of the conclusion reached from them. As far as solipsism goes, it's entirely possible that someone actually believes this world is fictual, but if they do and are still talking to you, they're hypocrites. It doesn't take the assumption of any premise to point out that inconsistency."

"Huh? Why would talking to someone who I believe is fictual be hypocritical?" Daniel shakes his head. "And maybe 'assumption' is too strong of a word, but to point out an internal logic error, you do need to follow the logic from the beginning. And I still don't see how a debate about the basic premises of a belief system will turn into anything other than a 'yes it is', 'no it's not' sort of setup. Could you give me an example?"

He laughs. "But we are sort of arguing the premise right now, aren't we?"

Last edited:

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
"But you can disprove premises," argues Thomas amiably, oblvious some might be tiring of the discussion, or even considering magical means of ending it. "Take the Christian worldview. An argument with an atheist does not devolve into a 'yes it is, no it isn't' argument; it becomes an attempt on the part of the atheist to dipsrove the premises of the Christian, namely that of an all-good god. Sentiment only comes into it if rational debate breaks down."

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
"And further, you can often take those premises back another step, and so forth, until you reach the actual basic assumption that creates the difference in your worldviews. Even if you can't reconcile that, it still gives you insight into why other people believe what they believe."

ThoughtBubble

First Post
Thomas Hobbes said:
"But you can disprove premises," argues Thomas amiably, oblvious some might be tiring of the discussion, or even considering magical means of ending it. "Take the Christian worldview. An argument with an atheist does not devolve into a 'yes it is, no it isn't' argument; it becomes an attempt on the part of the atheist to dipsrove the premises of the Christian, namely that of an all-good god. Sentiment only comes into it if rational debate breaks down."

Daniel smiles. "No, you can't." He then breaks into laughter, obviously amused at his joke. "Anyway, every arguement I've seen between a Christian and an athiest goes 'yes it is, no it isn't' until the Christian says 'Whatever' and goes to do something else. And while I'm tempted to persue this avenue, I'd prefer we manuver it into something that I'm not quite so hot tempered about."

ThoughtBubble

First Post
Paxus Asclepius said:
"And further, you can often take those premises back another step, and so forth, until you reach the actual basic assumption that creates the difference in your worldviews. Even if you can't reconcile that, it still gives you insight into why other people believe what they believe."

"Now that I can buy."

Remove ads