New Errata Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stalker0

Legend
So the new errata is out...lets debate!!

First of all, I want to say I am very pleased with WOTC's presentation of the errata. I like how they give you the change and the actual product how it looks with the change. That really helps to clarify some of the more complex changes.

Second, I'm so glad they are putting in a section for old updates in there now. Before I could never tell what was new and what was old.

From content, generally it was a nerfest for the most part, and I agree with most of the changes. I'll review some of the bigger ones.

Change to Bloodclaw: Some will call this an overnerf, and I can understand the reaction. However, lets remember that Bloodclaw by item level is one of the weakest magical enhancements you can get. At least the ability works when you hit, so its pretty much an automatically 3x enhancement bonus damage once per fight.

Reckless Weapon: On the other hand, I think this was an overreaction. Its higher level than bloodclaw, does less damage, and you have activate the power before you hit. Its just not worth the cost to me.

Save Stacking Nerfs: Two of the big items got nerfed, the Earthroot Staff and the Phrenic Crown. As a DM of a player who uses these items heavily, I can say they needed a good nerf. Saving throw penalties shouldn't scale period, frankly I think the phrenic crown is still too good, it should be left at -1 and be done with it.

Avenger Armor Nerf: This one is probably going to have the biggest impact for a lot of people, I can't think of a single avenger build I would do that doesn't have leather armor. Is the nerf too strong? I think its really a good of were avengers too good in the AC department? I have one in my game that has the same AC are our fighter in plate, but he also doesn't have as many hitpoints so it hasn't come up.

Divine Miracle: They finally eliminated the infinite elven accuracy abuses and the like, a good change in general (still an amazing ability).

Triumphant Attack: I think this one just became one of the strongest feats in the game. Before I already had it on nearly every epic build, now its a given. Heck with a good crit monkey (avengers, daggermasters) it may now be a stronger feat than epic expertise.

Rod of Reaving: To me the minion abuse was more about the rod of corruption than this rod. I would have left this one alone and nerfed the corruption rod.

Needlefang Nerf: About damn time! This little guy may hold the title for the most overpowered monster in the game. Sure Orcus can give epic guys some fun, but these guys could mow through equal level parties like moses through the red sea!

Double Weapons: The D weapons definately needed some nerfing, though at first glance I'm not exactly sure what has changed. Also I think there's an error in the errata, they mention the small property but I don't see that anywhere.

Cloak of Distortion: This one got a big nerf, and it probably deserved it. I don't know if the lower level versions of the cloak are worth it anymore, but the higher level versions are still good.

Ritualist's Ring: Anything that lets me make magic items at a 2 for 1 special is broken period. This is a good nerf.

Swordmage Warding: I'm really glad to see they took out the clause about losing your warding when you went unconscious and came back up. That was a serious disadvantage.

Quicksilver Stance: I figured this one would get nerfed, though it got a bump in the mobility department so that's something.

Unfailing Resources: Dreadnought is probably one of the best Paragon Paths in the game (especially if you encounter a lot of status effects). The ability is nerfed slightly, its still an amazing class feature, but its lost a little bit of the craziness.

There are definitely things on the list I would have liked to see (clarifiaction on teleportation!) but overall I think they took care of the most blatant issues. A solid update imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads