D&D 5E Did The Finished 5th Edition Change Anyone's Mind?

Iosue

Legend
Throughout the long playtest, there were a lot of highs and lows, moments of anticipation, and even for those excited for 5e, moments of extreme disappointment (I still miss that one iteration of the Rogue...) Of course, there were plenty of opportunities to rage-quit, and many declarations thereof!

But with the Basic Rules and now all three Core Books now out and released, and with many having the opportunity to play and/or run the game, I'm wondering did anyone's mind change?

Were you excited about the playtest, only to lose interest, and ultimately find your worst fears confirmed with the release?

Were you negative about the playtest, only to be pleasantly surprised with the finished product?

If you gave up at any point during the playtest, what brought you back? (I'm assuming that people who gave up on the game have better things to do than read a forum devoted to it.)

The Human Target

Adventurer
I gave up on following the playtest, got invited to play in a full game, and am at about the same place. Some stuff I like, some stuff I don't like, a lot of stuff I could take or leave. Generally disappointed they played it so safe. But perfectly playable, even if I don't forsee running it.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I was super excited leading up to the first playtest -- and then woefully disappointed. I feel like they did not put their best foot forward with that initial packet (it did not help that I hate the Caves of Chaos, finding it grindy and pointless). So although I did like how some of the later playtest packets were shaping up (I was particularly on-board with the idea of proficiency bonus), my hopes were way down.

The Starter Set changed my mind. Lost Mines of Phandelver is a fantastic adventure, and I like how it is presented, and it seems like the streamlined rules of 5e (particularly the monster rules) really help facilitate this style of adventure design. I figured, if this was the direction 5e was headed, I should probably check it out, and I was not disappointed.

Reynard

Legend
I was completely disinterested in 5E during the playtest. 4E had turned me off official D&D and the first playtest packet did nothing to pique my interest. But, having bought ever version of D&D since the Red Box, I was going to get the Starter Set "just to see." Instantly hooked. Favorite edition since 2E.

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
I was really on the fence until I saw the DMG. I can't point to just one thing in it, but that was what finally tipped the scale.

Nebulous

Legend
The Starter Set changed my mind. Lost Mines of Phandelver is a fantastic adventure, and I like how it is presented, and it seems like the streamlined rules of 5e (particularly the monster rules) really help facilitate this style of adventure design. I figured, if this was the direction 5e was headed, I should probably check it out, and I was not disappointed.

And from what I've seen so far, Princes of the Apocalypse is taking the flavor of LMoP and dialing it up to 10.

JeffB

Legend
Playtest drove me away. Starter set really was fun. I love 5e gameplay.

I have not bought the core books though, because the minimal amount and type of adventure support WOTC has produced, other than LMOP,sucks, IMO. Tyranny was awful, and I really dislike the AP model period.

I will check out POTA, because initial reviews are positive, but unless there is some kind of stand alone smaller adventure support, or a new OGL that makes this product available, 5e will just be a one shot system here and there for me/us, and I will continue to use the Basic PDFs for that.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
I did not participate in the playtest, because I was not playing D&D for the past 15 years; that said, with 5e Im now playing D&D again.

it changed my life :D

Last edited:

Chocolategravy

First Post
Very little changed over the course of the 2 year playtest. If you were to pull out the may 2012 packet and start playing it wouldn't be terribly different than pulling out your PHB, only of course with less pictures and less classes.

So no, it hasn't really changed anything for me, still looks like an alpha test.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I saw a lot change over the more than 3 years of alpha testing. For the most part, I've only become more impressed with 5E. There are only a few, minor changes I am less fond of. And, no I won't elaborate, as we are still bound by the NDA.

Remove ads