Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Brains?

d4c2d45e-dc12-4489-90a3-808b5bcfb360_text.gif

Orius

Legend
Cycles? It's like Stardates, a meaningless unit of time that are intended to sound important. I just handwave it. We all know Trek travels at the speed of plot anyway, and the Orville is just following that tradition. Star Wars is even worse -- The Last Jedi was so ludicrous with Plot Speed that it almost went plaid....

So we've got Yaphit to the rescue, huh? It was interesting watching him in action here. Actually, the two biggest joke characters on the show were critical here -- the only time it seems Gordon isn't a complete fool is when he's flying something (and speaking of plaid... ;)).

Nutation

Explorer
Actually, the two biggest joke characters on the show were critical here -- the only time it seems Gordon isn't a complete fool is when he's flying something (and speaking of plaid... ;)).

There were a few too many long shots that hit their mark for my taste. But, we already know Gordon is likely the best pilot in the Union, so we do have the foundation for two of those crazy attempts. (Or three. Putting a human in a Krill fighter?)

The Orville should have been vaporized as soon as Kaylons were no longer in charge. That should have been easily noticed.

Leaving aside those quibbles, though, damn they spent a lot of computer power on the final battle mayhem sequence. I particularly liked the image of one Union ship scraping against another. There were other unique shots as well, much more imaginative than "ship takes a bunch of energy hits and blows up".

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Pretty good, if a bit simplistic resolution.

The Kaylons don't carry through on their threats. "This will be a test of your compliance. If you do not comply, we will depressurise the shuttle bay and kill your entire crew!"

Three minutes later...

"You didn't comply! OK, we changed out mind, we're just gonna kill one of your guys instead. Forget we said anything..."

That aside....

Are all Union ships exactly the same shape, just different scales? I've noticed that before, and it bugs me a little. Wouldn't they have different ships of different types, built at different times, which would look different to each other? I guess it's just a budget thing - one CGI ship model which they can replicate?

I very much liked that they've largely jettisoned the fart jokes (at least for now) and are going full TNG.

Back to the distances discussion, they mentioned that it would take a month to get the Union fleet back to Earth. That definitely supports the cycle=day theory.

Do all Kaylons except Isaac have red eyes? Was Isaac always able to do the head guns?

Richards

Legend
Well, they did go out of their way to mention (several times in fact) that Isaac was constructed well after the Kaylons rose up against their creators and slaughtered them, so maybe the blue eyes are a feature of a member of his generation.

As for the head guns, I don't think we'd ever seen them before the first part of this two-parter. I was actually rather disappointed that Isaac did in fact have head guns - I had thought that might only be a feature of a warrior class of Kaylon or something. (Plus, if he's had those guns in his head the whole time, was there never a situation in any previous episode where they would have come in handy?)

Johnathan

Ryujin

Legend
Do all Kaylons except Isaac have red eyes? Was Isaac always able to do the head guns?

Don't know about the head guns but I recall seeing at least one other Kaylon with blue lights, and others were either red or orange (slight difference).

Remove ads