Elemental Monk Fix

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The Monk already gets a resource free bonus-action attack. He can spend a single KI and get 2 bonus-action attacks.

Currently the elemental monk can forgo making all his attacks, spend twice as much ki only to cast a level 1 burning hands. This feels pretty bad except in the most extreme horde situations.

The solution to get the elemental monk to function and his abilities to be fun and useful is to allow most of his elemental monk abilities to be used as a bonus action and still cost the same ki as they currently do. So the new elemental monk can attack and then bonus-action cast burning hands etc. In effect he's trading 2 attacks from flurry of blows to be able to cast the given spell. He's also spending one more ki in order to do so. That's a much more fair trade than taking all your attacks and your bonus action attacks in order to cast a single level 1 burning hands.

Try it out sometime. With this simple change I think you'll agree the elemental monk is much more fun to play.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I think it needs a total rework to be honest. Starting with something like:

"You are a monk of Fire, you learn the Produce Flame Cantrip, which uses Wisdom as your casting stat. Additionally, Whenever you use Flurry of Blows, you can cause your fist to light on fire, which causes all of your unarmed strikes to deal fire damage instead of bludgeoning damage."

Xeviat

Hero
The Monk already gets a resource free bonus-action attack. He can spend a single KI and get 2 bonus-action attacks.

Currently the elemental monk can forgo making all his attacks, spend twice as much ki only to cast a level 1 burning hands. This feels pretty bad except in the most extreme horde situations.

The solution to get the elemental monk to function and his abilities to be fun and useful is to allow most of his elemental monk abilities to be used as a bonus action and still cost the same ki as they currently do. So the new elemental monk can attack and then bonus-action cast burning hands etc. In effect he's trading 2 attacks from flurry of blows to be able to cast the given spell. He's also spending one more ki in order to do so. That's a much more fair trade than taking all your attacks and your bonus action attacks in order to cast a single level 1 burning hands.

Try it out sometime. With this simple change I think you'll agree the elemental monk is much more fun to play.

Not to toot my own horn, but I think I pitched this idea way back when the Sun Soul Monk came out. They get a bonus action burning hands. I think it would be fine. I'd rather a more full rework, but I think it would be playable. You're right to compare it to the output of Flurry of Blows.

Xeviat

Hero
Maybe bonus action cantrips and let them use their martial arts/flurry when casting spells. I'll check the math I did on this tomorrow and reply again.

Eubani

Legend
Many of the spells cost too much ki and need to be re-evaluated. Also one should be able to add an element keyword to their unarmed attacks.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Many of the spells cost too much ki and need to be re-evaluated. Also one should be able to add an element keyword to their unarmed attacks.

Technically the Elemental Monk is on par with the Warlock for casting potential. The ki cost is on-par considering that, but then that's only if you use ki for casting. Where it falls down is the Warlock can do a decent amount of damage without spell slots, but the Monk can't without ki, so the costs are a little too high. Now we could try and fiddle with the amount of Ki to resolve that... or just make the spells better.

Eubani

Legend
Technically the Elemental Monk is on par with the Warlock for casting potential. The ki cost is on-par considering that, but then that's only if you use ki for casting. Where it falls down is the Warlock can do a decent amount of damage without spell slots, but the Monk can't without ki, so the costs are a little too high. Now we could try and fiddle with the amount of Ki to resolve that... or just make the spells better.

I usually allow Cantrips free and other spells -1 ki cost min. 1.

Spell like burning hand are rapidly outdated.
Great at level 1, honest at level 3, meh at level 5.
At level 5 a monk can spend 1 ki to make 4 attacks for 30 damage,
Spending the same to do 10 on two or three targets never worth it, even the rare four targets won’t be enough.
Full caster can wisely use defensive or utility spell with lower spell slot,
I think monk miss variety of spell choice.
Absorb element, a flaming fist feature, maybe some spell from druid spell list can help.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I'd like to point out that this has been my advice for the Elemental Monk since before I even made my guide (and I think it's mentioned in my guide... that I... stilll have to... update)

Remove ads