New "Stranger Things" D&D Starter Set Announced

That's really freaking cool! Thanks heaps for sharing, bro.

OB1

Jedi Master
I totally expected this.

The forum keeps talking about how WotC's goal with 5e is for it to be an evergreen product, like Clue and Monopoly. Like Monopoly has Catopoly and Harry Potteropoly, The Starter Set seems the perfect D&D product to do the same thing with.

Exactly this. D&D fans who are also Stranger Things fans will pick it up, but if 1-2% of Stranger Things fans who never played D&D purchase it, that’s a ton of new players being introduced to the hobby.

And the fact that Hasbro is doing this now and making their logo so prevalent likely means they feel strong about the brand and the game.

If this works, I’d expect to see a lot more, especially if it can tie into other Hasbro properties.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Finally the new Starter Set I’ve been clamoring for, but not in the manner I expected. I hope it has more hand holding for folks new to D&D... And come on WotC/Hasbro put two d20s in the box!

But this looks like fun, very intrigued.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I bought the 1981 Basic D&D set (the pink box between the Holmes blue box and the red box above), boot hill, Gamma world, they all came with dice you have to crayon yourself.

Sure, but by 1983, the Basic and Expert sets came with dice that had the number already filled in. So, it's only a small window of years in the 80s that until led dice existed.

guachi

Hero
My Basic and Expert sets purchased in 1984 and 1985 came with dice and a crayon. The Red Box Basic Set I purchased from ebay to replace my heavily used set came with a crayon (BRAND NEW!) and dice (UNCOLORED!)

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Ordered!

cool it’s already #1 in amazons games and toys...looking at the top 100, well maybe not AS surprised but nice to see! :)

Remove ads

Remove ads