D&D 5E Warlock hex

I see discussion all over the place about the warlock's hex adding d6 damage and can last a really long time but I can't find it. I can only find a version in XGTE that adds proficiency bonus and lasts 1 minute. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. Can someone point me to it?

Xeviat

Hero
There is a spell called "Hex". When cast with a 3rd or 5th level slot, which scales automatically for the Warlock, the duration increases.

Oofta

Legend
Hex is a first level warlock spell with a duration of 1 hour that requires concentration.
You place a curse on a creature that you can see within range. Until the spell ends, you deal an extra 1d6 necrotic damage to the target whenever you hit it with an attack. Also, choose one ability when you cast the spell. The target has disadvantage on ability checks made with the chosen ability.

If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends, you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of yours to curse a new creature.

[FONT=Roboto, Helvetica, sans-serif]Note that there is some, shall we say, controversy about this. Some DMs rule that once you cast hex, you transfer the hex to another creature any time within an hour as long as the original target dropped to 0 HP and you've maintained concentration. Others rule that the hex needs to be transferred the turn after the original target drops to 0 or during the same combat since you don't track turns once an encounter is over.

Personally I rule that the hex has to be transferred during the same encounter, but that's just me.

[/FONT]

Dausuul

Legend
Note that there is some, shall we say, controversy about this. Some DMs rule that once you cast hex, you transfer the hex to another creature any time within an hour as long as the original target dropped to 0 HP and you've maintained concentration. Others rule that the hex needs to be transferred the turn after the original target drops to 0 or during the same combat since you don't track turns once an encounter is over.
Anything can be house-ruled, but by the book, the spell is quite clear: You can transfer it any time (hence why it says "a subsequent turn of yours" instead of "your next turn"), and there is nothing in there saying it has to be the same encounter.

It would be pretty silly to have a duration that scales all the way up to 24 hours if you could only use it in a single combat.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases