D&D 5E Starter Set: Excerpt 6

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Makes more sense than "destroyed, but they poop out an item one plus less"

I see a quest here. Send the PCs out to collect rust monster poop for an ingredient in some magic item they are constructing.

Ancient NPC: "You need the blood of a medusa, the powdered horn of a unicorn, and uh...the poop of a rust monster."

PC Wizard: "I'm sorry. What was that last one again?"

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Someone xp this, please.

BTW, can't find it in the FAQ anywhere - what IS the limit on xpicizing? How much 'spread it around' before I can xp the same person again?

The limit is variable depending on what Morrus & the Mods believe works best for the site. Some posters estimated, early in using the system, that the limit was something like 30 in a month: XP person A, then 29 others before being able to XP person A again. However, it appears to have been adjusted, and probably will be adjusted again.

The simplest advice is: feel free to XP lots of different people, not merely your favorites. The system is set up to encourage that behavior. (And don't worry about the limit.)

Also, there is a hard limit on how many times you can give XP in any one 24-hour period. Some posters estimate that it is something like 10.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Considering how rare, wondrous and special magical items are (seriously, check out the organized play info on magic items!) I'm ok with them being nigh-indestructible. Makes more sense than "destroyed, but they poop out an item one plus less"

Players will probably have mundane items to worry about when rusty come acallin'

I actually come out on the other side of this.

Magic items aren't required for balance.

So there's absolutely no balance issue if a rust monster comes along and devours your armor.

So D&D monsters with a history of chomping down on PC gear can continue to do so. Poor widdle cleric got his shiny armor all munched up by the big bad rust monster? Cry me a river, you big tough adventurer, you.

I do think that "special" items are a different case. There's items out there that are more properly described as part of your character's identity than they are as simple magical equipment.

That stuff shouldn't be found randomly, and shouldn't be destroyed easily -- it's more like an artifact than a simple +1 suit of brigandine or whatever. And it's more accurately like a class, race, feat, or other character element than it is like bonus treasure.

As for the preview itself? Attunement! Bah! ;)

Snapdragyn

Explorer
The limit is variable depending on what Morrus & the Mods believe works best for the site. Some posters estimated, early in using the system, that the limit was something like 30 in a month: XP person A, then 29 others before being able to XP person A again. However, it appears to have been adjusted, and probably will be adjusted again.

The simplest advice is: feel free to XP lots of different people, not merely your favorites. The system is set up to encourage that behavior. (And don't worry about the limit.)

Also, there is a hard limit on how many times you can give XP in any one 24-hour period. Some posters estimate that it is something like 10.

Thanks for the info. I try to xp around (xp slut that I am), but some posters seem to just consistently hit my funny/informative bone.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
Is there a reason for a character with an 18 strength to use the gauntlets?

Is there some other benefit that a 19 has over an 18 that makes it a good item or is it really just for characters in the 16 range?

side not ogres always look like they're stronger than their strength score suggests.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
I actually come out on the other side of this.

Magic items aren't required for balance.

So there's absolutely no balance issue if a rust monster comes along and devours your armor.

So D&D monsters with a history of chomping down on PC gear can continue to do so. Poor widdle cleric got his shiny armor all munched up by the big bad rust monster? Cry me a river, you big tough adventurer, you.

I do think that "special" items are a different case. There's items out there that are more properly described as part of your character's identity than they are as simple magical equipment.

That stuff shouldn't be found randomly, and shouldn't be destroyed easily -- it's more like an artifact than a simple +1 suit of brigandine or whatever. And it's more accurately like a class, race, feat, or other character element than it is like bonus treasure.

As for the preview itself? Attunement! Bah! ;)

Yep. Kinda where I am on it. Rust monsters and disenchanters can eat magic items; but not artifacts or "special" items.

barasawa

Explorer
attuned items

The rules page describes a few magic items, how to identify magic items, and how to attune to a magic item, but none of the items on this page have the attuned property. Not all magic items are attuned.

An actual example item that needs attunement would have been nice. Maybe in a later release, and if not, there's always the actual launch on the 15th. (3rd for some people.)

Remove ads