D&D 5E 5e's new gender policy - is it attracting new players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wik

First Post
Show me the sexual orientation, gender identification stat block item in one book, please and thank you.

Plenty of stat blocks have gender in them. It's on the character sheet, for starters. As for sexual orientation - it's implied in a lot of character descriptions.

Do you really need page number quotations for this? Or are you one of those "I only read the statblocks" type players?

Evandis

First Post
Plenty of stat blocks have gender in them. It's on the character sheet, for starters. As for sexual orientation - it's implied in a lot of character descriptions.

Do you really need page number quotations for this? Or are you one of those "I only read the statblocks" type players?

All driver licenses have biological gender on them, regardless of your gender identity. Perhaps you need to go read what transgender means.

And what about NPCs? What about every villain having only heterosexual relationships? Every rescue the damself being a heterosexual relationship? Every husband and wife innkeeper family? Why can we not mix that up a little? Who does it hurt?

If every villain you have ever encountered was having only heterosexual relationships, then stop taking out your passive aggressive frustrations here and talk to your DMs. Same goes for the husband and wife innkeeper family. You have no valid argument here against WotC, take it out on the people running your games.

Read 'em again. The drow priestess in OotA has male lovers who compete with one another. The dragon queen series has a few that escape me at the moment. PotA has some villains where their gender plays an important role in their backstory (the air woman? Can't remember right now). The point is - why not flip it? Why not have a bit of a switch to generic roles?

Dark elves are a matriarchal race, that's a pretty big flip if you ask me, but you only see what you want to see. It is also well known that homosexuality is rare in dark elves, rare, do you understand this term?

I don't even know how you go through life. You must get angry at the fact that the vast majority of people you walk past every day are heterosexual and relate to their biological gender.

Once again you have failed to provide any valid and logical answer as to why a handful of examples is going to scare away people with differing sexuality and gender identifications. I wonder, when they walk into a store where all the staff are heterosexual, do they just cease to be able to shop there? Your argument is so absurd it is actually making me pity you.

Right. Long been known. Gamergate was a thousand years ago, not last year. Because THOSE guys were totally accepting of diversity, and they weren't gamers. Point me to this super acceptance.

Those guys, being a collection of 4chan trash were nothing more than a vocal minority. Play any MMO, just for a day, and you will see a large and visible LGBT community. Accepted and played with en masse. Openly advertising LGBT friendly guilds. For crying out loud in my own FFXIV guild, which is one of the top for our server and has a group of players in it that make the video guides that millions watch and use has multiple VERY open LGBT players who are well accepted and not discriminated against. The amount of times I have personally been in Mumble with them and hundreds of others and listen to them discuss their lifestyle free of judgement is too numerous to count.

Yet, you still only see what YOU want to see. You have decided that the volatile and childish FPS community makes up the whole of gamers. I'm not even gay and get assaulted for being a "fag" on FPS games for not meeting their performance standards or, ironically, for outperforming them. These people also call you a nerd for playing D&D.

This is not a video game section of the forum. The gamers being discussed here are those people who sit around a table, in person or virtually, and role-play. In my 17 years of this hobby and LARPing, I have seen one, one situation in which LGBT were treated poorly and the offender was removed, permanently. I can't think of one time I sat at a table with someone who was not part of the LGBT community. In fact, I remember playing with one who played a straight character while I played a homosexual one and then I spent the entire campaign trying to seduce his character. Not once did any of us make one single decision based on the cookie cutter NPCs who were probably all heterosexual.

These aren't novels, you are a fool for putting this much weight into a template. Your argument is a COLOSSAL waste of time. In fact I am going to start asking my LGBT friends who do not play D&D if this is because the NPC in Tyranny of Dragons has a heterosexual relationship. I expect a 100% no response followed by laughter at the lunacy of the suggestion.

Wik

First Post
All driver licenses have biological gender on them, regardless of your gender identity. Perhaps you need to go read what transgender means.

Um. Okay. Didn't know "stat block" meant "driver's license".

Glad *I'm* the foolish one.

If every villain you have ever encountered was having only heterosexual relationships, then stop taking out your passive aggressive frustrations here and talk to your DMs. Same goes for the husband and wife innkeeper family. You have no valid argument here against WotC, take it out on the people running your games.

1. I'm the GM.
2. I'm not going against WotC. I'm saying they could do more.
3. What's passive aggressive about making a point and then arguing for it? Do you know what passive aggressive means? (hint... that last bit? THAT was passive aggressive).

Dark elves are a matriarchal race, that's a pretty big flip if you ask me, but you only see what you want to see.

Um, what? What does that have to do with anything?

It is also well known that homosexuality is rare in dark elves, rare, do you understand this term?

1. Is it well known? I didn't know this. But even if it is - they're a fictional race? Why not play around with things? It's not like the dark elven westboro baptist church are gonna get butthurt over it.
2. Understand what term? Dark Elf? Homosexuality? I literally have no idea what the hell you're going on about.

I don't even know how you go through life.

Generally? Happily, successfully, doing the things I want. And accepting other people for doing the same.

You must get angry at the fact that the vast majority of people you walk past every day are heterosexual and relate to their biological gender.
"Vast majority"? Do you understand THAT term? Because anywhere from 1 in 10 to 1 in 20 are non-heterosexual, which means that the "vast majority" of people are NOT heterosexual. Just a "majority".

For what it's worth, I'm a straight male. So there's that.

Once again you have failed to provide any valid and logical answer as to why a handful of examples is going to scare away people with differing sexuality and gender identifications.

I wasn't ever trying to do that. I was trying, in fact, to argue the exact opposite - that by including a few examples OUTSIDE of heterosexual relationships, it'd be fine for everyone. It wouldn't scare too many people away, and the ones it did probably should be scared away anyway.

I wonder, when they walk into a store where all the staff are heterosexual, do they just cease to be able to shop there?

"They"? What?

You're making extreme arguments against mild points. I say "I wish one NPC out of fifty would have a gay reference" and you're getting "I want every NPC to be transgender".

Do you see the difference?

Your argument is so absurd it is actually making me pity you.

Well hey, have fun with that.

Those guys, being a collection of 4chan trash were nothing more than a vocal minority.

Hey! We agree on something! Wouldn't call it a small group though - got some pretty big coverage.

Play any MMO, just for a day, and you will see a large and visible LGBT community.

Not my scene. But for what it's worth, I believe you.

Accepted and played with en masse. Openly advertising LGBT friendly guilds. For crying out loud in my own FFXIV guild, which is one of the top for our server and has a group of players in it that make the video guides that millions watch and use has multiple VERY open LGBT players who are well accepted and not discriminated against. The amount of times I have personally been in Mumble with them and hundreds of others and listen to them discuss their lifestyle free of judgement is too numerous to count.

So what? So you don't have a problem with LGBT people. This reminds me of the whole "I can't be racist, I have a black friend". But okay. Let's use your example.

There's a huge LGBT community on MMOs. Makes sense. That's as it should be. Now... I did a very quick google search, and it turns out there are LGBT characters in MMOs! Guild Wars had them with some degree of success, and it seems some fans are upset that WoW doesn't have them.

Why can't we do this for D&D? What's the big deal? I've asked you a couple of times now, and you haven't answered. Instead, you just say my argument is silly without answering my points. Instead, you answer trumped up charges with absurb oversimplifications.

Yet, you still only see what YOU want to see.

Very ironic, because the very next thing you say is...

You have decided that the volatile and childish FPS community makes up the whole of gamers.

When did I say that? Like, ever? Not even once did I mention FPS. I mentioned Gamergate in one sentence. Nothing about FPS games.

Yet I'm the one who only sees what he wants to see.

*golf clap*

I'm not even gay and get assaulted for being a "fag" on FPS games for not meeting their performance standards or, ironically, for outperforming them.

Welcome to the internet. Your point?

These people also call you a nerd for playing D&D.

Well, in their defence... it's D&D. D&D and Nerds go together like Bacon and Eggs.

This is not a video game section of the forum.

Nope. Which is why I didn't really mention much about video games. It's more been your soapbox. I've been talking about RPGs. You think that for some reason, having a throwaway comment about a character being gay would destroy RPGS as we know it (isn't it great when someone does that? Expands your ideas to ridiculous extremes?)

The gamers being discussed here are those people who sit around a table, in person or virtually, and role-play.

Yeah. So?

In my 17 years of this hobby and LARPing, I have seen one, one situation in which LGBT were treated poorly and the offender was removed, permanently. I can't think of one time I sat at a table with someone who was not part of the LGBT community. In fact, I remember playing with one who played a straight character while I played a homosexual one and then I spent the entire campaign trying to seduce his character. Not once did any of us make one single decision based on the cookie cutter NPCs who were probably all heterosexual.

Well that's great. But so what?

So you play that sort of game, and yet you don't think it'd be nice to OCCASIONALLY - or even ONCE - have an NPC have the word "gay" associated with him or her? Have a transgender paladin or something? I mean, Paizo already does this... and it's not like they're dying in the world of market shares.

Yes, you can play the game however you want. Not once did I argue otherwise, despite what you keep trying to insist. All I've said is that it'd be nice for the game to include a gay character once and awhile.

The world will not implode, I assure you (did it again! I'm such a scamp).

These aren't novels, you are a fool for putting this much weight into a template.

D&D books are templates?

Is that another term you don't understand?

Give me your address; I'm fed-exing you a dictionary, post haste. (psst. "post haste" means "quickly").

Your argument is a COLOSSAL waste of time. In fact I am going to start asking my LGBT friends who do not play D&D if this is because the NPC in Tyranny of Dragons has a heterosexual relationship.

Sure. But let's change it a bit. Because most LGBT people I know don't care when media has heterosexual relationships. They care when occasionally, they get some attention, too.

So, instead, ask them this: "hey. If the occasional D&D module had a gay relationship mentioned - even in passing - would it improve your chances of playing the game?"

Because that is what I am asking. I am not attacking heterosexual relationships or anything of the sort. I am promoting the fact that MOST gamers are probably mature enough to expect a bit more sexuality diversity in their games.

I expect a 100% no response followed by laughter at the lunacy of the suggestion.

Sure. If you ask them the question you were planning on. But the only person who seems to think that this is what I am asking was you. So either you're deliberately misreading what I said, or you're unintentionally misreading what I said.

Ask my question, though, and we'll see what response you get. Maybe I'm wrong - I've been wrong before - but I dunno. It seems like a good question to ask.

Looking forward to see how you amp up my comments to suggest that I think all weddings should be "adam and steve" and that anyone who plays an FPS are complete morons.

Endearingly yours,

Wik.

Hussar

Legend
Show me the sexual orientation, gender identification stat block item in one book, please and thank you.

So none of the NPC's have marriage or romantic relationships in the entire module? I haven't read it, so it's possible. But, I do know that in the first two free Adventurer's League modules that WOTC has released through the Dragon+ App have both featured NPC's in hetero relationships. Either married couples that run a farm, or a widow, the fact of which that her husband had died some time ago is specifically mentioned in the module, despite it having zero bearing on the plot of the module.

Heck, I'm bored. Here's the exact quote:

DDEX3-2 Shackles of Blood said:
Deirk Erlich
A bony shouldered man missing several front teeth.
• Deirk comes from the slums of Hillsfar, and plans to send for his wife and daughters when his cottage is complete.

The Widow Miller
The grey haired woman, Vigdas, has lived alone in the millhouse since her husband's death two winters ago

Deriel Rethslane
This female moon elf scout has been living among the trees and beasts of Cormanthor forest for over a century. Years ago she fell in love with a surface-dwelling drow merchant named Arrizz (DDEX3-1 Harried in Hillsfar). Things have gone from bad to worse for Arrizz. He recovered from his malady, the Underdark fungal illness known as Goodroots, only to be captured by the Red Plumes a tenday ago and subsequently sent to the Hillsfar arena to fight or die.

There's three examples all from the same, very short, module. Now, the sexual orientation of the first two bears zero bearing on the adventure while the hetero relationship of the third is a major plot point. Hopefully this puts paid to the idea that sexual orientation is never mentioned in WOTC products AND they never have any bearing on the plot of the scenarios. Thank you WOTC for so clearly highlighting my point.

Now, how hard would it be, in the spirit of inclusiveness to change the Widow Miller to the Widower Miller. Easy peasy. Change two words and now you have made the module more inclusive. Doesn't have to be major changes in order to add a smidgeon of inclusiveness into the mix. Might not hurt for some of the names to be a bit less Eurocentric and a bit more world centric. Deirk can easily be changed to something else without a major change in the adventure.

Inclusiveness is easy and costs virtually nothing.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Now, how hard would it be, in the spirit of inclusiveness to change the Widow Miller to the Widower Miller. Easy peasy.
Easier yet, change only the word "husband's" to "partner's". That way it's all left more open-ended so anyone can read into it whatever she or he wants to read into it. (could do the same for the first one too, but the presence of daughters kind of implies hetero either now or at some point in the past)

Lan-"in D&D where death can be temporary the marriage vow 'till death do us part' doesn't quite work the same as in reality"-efan

S

Sunseeker

Easier yet, change only the word "husband's" to "partner's". That way it's all left more open-ended so anyone can read into it whatever she or he wants to read into it. (could do the same for the first one too, but the presence of daughters kind of implies hetero either now or at some point in the past)

Lan-"in D&D where death can be temporary the marriage vow 'till death do us part' doesn't quite work the same as in reality"-efan

Honestly the word "partner" is horrible, what are they in a business relationship? Spouse is much more indicative of the nature of the relationship and still gender neutral.

Honestly, I don't approve of going with "spouse" or "partner" or other gender-neutral terms in cases like this. We've had decades of assumed heteronormativity. If we're going to be inclusive, we need at least occasional instances of specific examples that fall outside those parameters, not merely situations that could.

Hussar

Legend
Whichever word you choose to use, at least I think we agree that using some word is better than none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads