D&D 5E The New Class Tiers

Zardnaar

Legend
Something to take into consideration is how the DM runs the game. A DM that allows the 5MWD (or only 2-3 combats per day) is going to see a lot more full casters. A DM that runs closer to 6-8 combats per day is going to see a lot more Fighters, Rogues, and Warlocks, because they get most of their stuff back on only Short Rests, and can even go a while with only a couple of short rests. If Feats are not allowed, the Fighter gets quite a bit worse, as the ASI will quickly max out Str/Dex then work on Con, rather than getting cool abilities. If multi-classing is not allowed, I think a couple of classes become less exciting, because they work best with combos (I've not played in a game without multi-classing, so I wouldn't know for sure).

Yep if I get around to it I will state the criteria I use. 5MWD doesn't happen much in my games but neither does 8 combats. I would assume a moderate amount if min maxing for example a warlock player picks Eldritch blast and hex but not a full on Sorlock build.

Hussar

Legend
I do agree either the basic point a few posts ago. There really aren’t tiers in the 3e sense. While I do bitch about fighters, really, they aren’t all that far behind.

The range from top to bottom really isn’t that great.

Stalker0

Legend
I think bards are pretty top notch. They really do it all in this edition.

Tons of skill, and the ability to blow normal skill limits out of the water. Good combat, great spellcasting, can heal, can steal class abilities with their taking of spells, good buffer...I mean what’s not to like.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I think bards are pretty top notch. They really do it all in this edition.

Tons of skill, and the ability to blow normal skill limits out of the water. Good combat, great spellcasting, can heal, can steal class abilities with their taking of spells, good buffer...I mean what’s not to like.

I've never once looked at a bard and thought he's good at combat. He's exceptional out of combat and passable in combat. though.

FrogReaver

Yeah, this is a point that I never really buy.

Precision attack isn't going to make that much of a difference. Most attacks are hitting about 66% of the time. That's what the game is set at anyway. Given Archer specialization for either fighter or Ranger, that's actually probably higher. So, if 3/4 of your attacks already hit, then precision attack really only matters for those other 1/4 of attacks. If your adventuring day is 20 rounds of combat long, we're talking 10 attacks, at the absolute most. But, it's never going to turn all 10 into hits since at least some of those will miss be more than the Precision Attack will make up - there will be wasted Precision Attacks and attacks that simply cannot hit, no matter what.

So, essentially, we're talking about maybe 5 hits difference between the ranger and the BM fighter. But, the ranger either gets a +d8 on every round (or close enough) of combat or an extra attack a lot of times depending on the type of ranger.

Since they're both using SharpShooter, that's moot. And the SS+Xbow expert cheese only really applies for a couple of levels - the ranger can have both by 8th, the fighter by 6th. Not enough to make a difference.

Add to that, now, the ranger out and out blows the fighter out of the water out of combat - remember, no "Oh, we'll have out of combat feats" because you've used your feats for combat - and I really can't see how the fighter rates higher than a ranger.

In archery anyway. Sword and board? Ok, that's the paladin taking the cake there.

Fighters, IMO, really are falling a bit behind the other fighter types until at least 11th level.

You say that everytime, I show you numbers and you still don't believe me.

(Just with a longbow)
If you make 20 attacks then on average you will miss by 1 once. You will miss by 2 on average once etc. You have 12 precision dice a day assuming 2 short rests.

8/8 (chance precision attack changes the roll) + 7/8 + 6/8 + 5/8 + 4/8 + 3/8 = (6 superiority dice used). You will turn on average 4.125 of your misses into hits. Since your average damage is 17.5 that means your 6 superiority dice add 72.1875 average damage to your day. You still have 6 superiority dice left to use regular and they can add 27 damage per day. That's a total of right at +100 damage per day. A single attack from your regular longbow with -5/+10 over 20 rounds does between 87.5 and 245 damage per day (low vs high ac).

By the time you add in hand crossbows and crossbow expertise you stop using non precision superiority dice. You double your number of attacks so you spend twice as many resources on precision attack. It turns twice of 4.125 misses into hits = 8.25. At 16.5 damage per attack that is 136.125 damage per day. Hand crossbows will do between 132 and 429 damage per day.

Do you know how much colossus slayer adds to a similar longbow ranger per day that's trying to use the -5/+10? Between 27 and 63 damage. Hunter's mark adds between 21 and 49 = 48 to 112 damage. Against most AC's the battlemaster fighter is better.

The issue is that CE and SS don't play nice with hunters mark. So now you have competing bonus actions. You gain very little by using hunters mark because of this even against a boss. Now the ranger really struggles to use one of his damage bonuses while the fighter got significantly more effective at using his.

Conclusion: Rangers are good but an optimized battlemaster trumps them in damage and has a much better NOVA capability than they do given he can action surge. Damage now is always better and it's one more reason that the optimized battlemaster is better at combat than the hunter ranger.

Zardnaar

Legend
You say that everytime, I show you numbers and you still don't believe me.

(Just with a longbow)
If you make 20 attacks then on average you will miss by 1 once. You will miss by 2 on average once etc. You have 12 precision dice a day assuming 2 short rests.

8/8 (chance precision attack changes the roll) + 7/8 + 6/8 + 5/8 + 4/8 + 3/8 = (6 superiority dice used). You will turn on average 4.125 of your misses into hits. Since your average damage is 17.5 that means your 6 superiority dice add 72.1875 average damage to your day. You still have 6 superiority dice left to use regular and they can add 27 damage per day. That's a total of right at +100 damage per day. A single attack from your regular longbow with -5/+10 over 20 rounds does between 87.5 and 245 damage per day (low vs high ac).

By the time you add in hand crossbows and crossbow expertise you stop using non precision superiority dice. You double your number of attacks so you spend twice as many resources on precision attack. It turns twice of 4.125 misses into hits = 8.25. At 16.5 damage per attack that is 136.125 damage per day. Hand crossbows will do between 132 and 429 damage per day.

Do you know how much colossus slayer adds to a similar longbow ranger per day that's trying to use the -5/+10? Between 27 and 63 damage. Hunter's mark adds between 21 and 49 = 48 to 112 damage. Against most AC's the battlemaster fighter is better.

The issue is that CE and SS don't play nice with hunters mark. So now you have competing bonus actions. You gain very little by using hunters mark because of this even against a boss. Now the ranger really struggles to use one of his damage bonuses while the fighter got significantly more effective at using his.

Conclusion: Rangers are good but an optimized battlemaster trumps them in damage and has a much better NOVA capability than they do given he can action surge. Damage now is always better and it's one more reason that the optimized battlemaster is better at combat than the hunter ranger.

Maybe a lot of our archers don't use hand crossbows because you basically don't find magical ones but magical bows are fairly common.

With bows you don't trip over bonus actions with hunters quarry. At best you are talking about a very narrow build with CE+SS, and there are draw backs. That magical bow (way more common in real games) will deal full damage to critters that need magical weapons to damage or bypass resistance.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I've never once looked at a bard and thought he's good at combat. He's exceptional out of combat and passable in combat. though.
The group I DM (currently at 4th level) just added a 6th player: a college of swords bard.

The boost in combat has been significantly more than just adding an extra person.

1. Judicious use of bardic inspiration has swung several fights - where an attack would have missed or a saving throw would have otherwise failed.

2. Fairie fire has been a massive boost to the group, automatic advantage is huge.

3. The bards spells, in general, have made combats much easier and less swingy for the group.

4. Backup healing has freed the cleric to be quite a bit more offensive in his tactics.

5. While certainly not as damaging as the gloomstalker ranger or BM fighter of the group, the bard holds his own; which combined with how much he buffs up the other characters makes him a significant boost in combat.

Now, my perception may be colored by the fact that the only arcane caster in the group prior to the bard was (and still is) a blaster sorcerer, but the bard certainly seems to be bringing a lot to the group (and that's in combat, out of combat, the contribution is even higher).

Ebony Dragon

First Post
but the bard certainly seems to be bringing a lot to the group (and that's in combat, out of combat, the contribution is even higher).

That brings up a good point. Are the tier lists mainly looking at combat effectiveness, or all around utility and ability to shape the story/resolve plots?

If we are just looking at combat the fighter and the barbarian are quite good I think. I've found those pure martial characters exceptional at beating up bad guys in this edition. I mean, they have always been good at beating up bad guys, but during 3.5 clerics and wizards could actually build themselves to be better fighters than the fighter was at higher level. Not so in 5e.

However, if we are looking at who can influence the story most those same classes end up at the bottom of the barrel. About the only thing they can do well is kill stuff.

Playing in a home game that is skewed heavily towards non-combat activities I wonder how I can translate these tier lists to the type of game I typically play. How much weight do people put on combat effectiveness as a basis for the ranking?

Zardnaar

Legend
That brings up a good point. Are the tier lists mainly looking at combat effectiveness, or all around utility and ability to shape the story/resolve plots?

If we are just looking at combat the fighter and the barbarian are quite good I think. I've found those pure martial characters exceptional at beating up bad guys in this edition. I mean, they have always been good at beating up bad guys, but during 3.5 clerics and wizards could actually build themselves to be better fighters than the fighter was at higher level. Not so in 5e.

However, if we are looking at who can influence the story most those same classes end up at the bottom of the barrel. About the only thing they can do well is kill stuff.

Playing in a home game that is skewed heavily towards non-combat activities I wonder how I can translate these tier lists to the type of game I typically play. How much weight do people put on combat effectiveness as a basis for the ranking?

Put it this way, if a class is good at something that matters it will get a good rating.

The points above about Bards is spot on. The Valoe Bard is tier 1 at all 4 level tiers IMHO the points made are preaching to the choir. I wouldn't rate wizards for example at tier 1 level 1 to 5 although the valor bard will get a lower rating than the lore bard.

FrogReaver

Put it this way, if a class is good at something that matters it will get a good rating.

The points above about Bards is spot on. The Valoe Bard is tier 1 at all 4 level tiers IMHO the points made are preaching to the choir. I wouldn't rate wizards for example at tier 1 level 1 to 5 although the valor bard will get a lower rating than the lore bard.

Wizard has more in combat influence. Bard has more out of combat influence. Especially at levels 1-4. Neither of them come close in tier one to what an optimized battlemaster fighter with feats can do in combat.

Remove ads