🏳️‍🌈Pride Month- Celebrating Representation in TTRPGs🏳️‍🌈

trashHeap

Villager
Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t there an indie game company with a majority of their designers being part of the LGBTQ + community? I seem to remember something like that.

I was recently reminded of the fact that Green Ronin seems to employ a number of LGBTQ+ designers. Which honestly shouldn't surprise given their level of support for LGBTQ representation with things like Blue Rose. No idea if it's a majority of designers though.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I think one of the settings is a coffee shop?
The additional supplement, AL&L (Advanced Lovers & Lesbians) devotes most of its page space to a bunch of additional, completely buckwild settings, from sci-fi roller derby to Greasy Deck Goblins. My favorite though is the one set in a chess tournament: Queen Pins Queen.

the Jester

Legend
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Burne and Rufus from the Village of Hommlet. I've seen it asserted that there is a subtext that they are a couple, and I've run it that way myself before.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Burne and Rufus from the Village of Hommlet. I've seen it asserted that there is a subtext that they are a couple, and I've run it that way myself before.
The only time I ran that, I was young enough that if that was the intent, it went right over my head.

Staffan

Legend
Similarly, the city of Elversult on the Dragon Coast in FR was ruled by a lady named Yanseldara along with her live-in "deeply trusted companion" Vaerana Hawklyn. At least that's how they were described in 2e, in 3e Vaerana was specifically described as Yanseldara's consort.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

While I think that is a great way to run it, I would be a little surprised if that was the intended subtext if only because it was published by TSR in 1979, and based on the even-earlier home campaign of Gygax.

Because of the nature of coding in the 70s and especially the 80s, it's often difficult to separate things that are obvious now (see, e.g., practically anything put out by George Michael) as opposed to those things that seem insanely obvious now but ... weren't intended (see, e.g., Top Gun).

the Jester

Legend
While I think that is a great way to run it, I would be a little surprised if that was the intended subtext if only because it was published by TSR in 1979, and based on the even-earlier home campaign of Gygax.
That's pretty much how I see it too, which is why I didn't actually make the assertion myself. But since I saw the idea, I can't unsee it, and I'll probably run them as a couple whenever I run T1 in the future.

Because of the nature of coding in the 70s and especially the 80s, it's often difficult to separate things that are obvious now (see, e.g., practically anything put out by George Michael) as opposed to those things that seem insanely obvious now but ... weren't intended (see, e.g., Top Gun).
Well said, and very true.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

Rufus and Burne are recipients of pretty much the same subtext projection as Bert and Ernie. They're two guys who live together and don't actively engage in obviously heterosexual behavior (though Burne does hang out at the bar - so maybe he's open to hook-ups of an undefined nature).
I think it's mainly a bit of harmless fun, though it does get a bit tiring about Bert and Ernie because it's so commonly used and kind of obscures the more overt example that the Muppet duo serves - how two people who are SO different can still be best of friends.

Remove ads