1st/2nd Ed Multiple Attacks

Steely_Dan

First Post
Quick question,: if you have a Warrior type with multiple attacks (like a fighter with 2/1, two attacks per round), can you move up to your movement rate in one round and make your multiple attacks?

TanisFrey

First Post
I do not think there was ever a restriction on it like in 3ed but it has been a long time since I played 1st/2nd ed. I do remember that 3/2 attack rate you had to take the extra attack on the second round, which avoids your issue.

Celebrim

Legend
Quick question,: if you have a Warrior type with multiple attacks (like a fighter with 2/1, two attacks per round), can you move up to your movement rate in one round and make your multiple attacks?

Yes.

However, note that thet second attack will occur after all other (non-iterative) attacks in the round.

The same is true with monsters as well. A monster with the claw/claw/bite reutine for example will attack, then the fighter will make his first attack, then the second claw, then the fighters second attack, then the bite attack.

Note also that the fighter will need to declare what he is moving toward at the beginning of the round prior to resolving all actions. So, if the fighter declares he's moving up to attack the monster, but the monster has (secretly and simultaneously) declared that he's pulling back (perhaps to use a breath weapon) such that the fighter doesn't reach the monster this turn, then the fighter doesn't necessarily make any attacks (and certainly won't make the second one). Remember, 1e has simultaneous declaration and resolution. There are examples in the DMG.

Steely_Dan

First Post
I do not think there was ever a restriction on it like in 3ed but it has been a long time since I played 1st/2nd ed.

But in the combat chapter of the 2nd Ed PHB it says you can move up to half your movement rate and make an attack.

It's the "an" bit that niggles me.

Steely_Dan

First Post
1) Yes.

2) The same is true with monsters as well. A monster with the claw/claw/bite reutine for example will attack, then the fighter will make his first attack, then the second claw, then the fighters second attack, then the bite attack.

3) Note also that the fighter will need to declare what he is moving toward at the beginning of the round prior to resolving all actions. So, if the fighter declares he's moving up to attack the monster, but the monster has (secretly and simultaneously) declared that he's pulling back (perhaps to use a breath weapon) such that the fighter doesn't reach the monster this turn, then the fighter doesn't necessarily make any attacks (and certainly won't make the second one). Remember, 1e has simultaneous declaration and resolution. There are examples in the DMG.

1) Right on, so in 1st Ed a human could move up to his/her movement rate (12'') and still make all his attacks in one round?

2) I believe monsters get theirs all at once (claw/claw/bite etc), only iterative attacks with the same weapon (sword etc) are staggered.

3) Total, and announcing the spell you're casting that round.

Knight Templar

First Post
You may move and then make a single attack. At the end of the round you may make any remaining attacks, but if you have already used all your movement you cannot move. However, animals with claw/claw/bite attack routines can make ALL of their attacks at their initiative; they don't have to wait until the end of the round.

Steely_Dan

First Post
You may move and then make a single attack. At the end of the round you may make any remaining attacks, but if you have already used all your movement you cannot move.

Right on, thanks (thanks to everyone who's replied); one last thing, can you move you entire movement rate, or just half and still attack?

And how did it work out in Basic (D&D Cyclopedia etc) style?

juboke

Explorer

In AD&D 1e, normal melee is not possible when the opponents begin the round over 1” distant. A round must be spent closing.

Alternatively, the attacker may choose to charge. This action brings the charging party into combat on the charge round, provided movement rate (plus bonus) allows this.

Check out DMG page 66 for more on this.

Multiple Attack Routines DMG page 62-63.

TanisFrey

First Post
Most of my 1st ed play was with the old Box CRPGs. They allowed you to move and get all of your attack for the round, no waiting.

Most of my Table top gaming was 2ed which had weapon speeds. When fully used you would add your weapon speed to your initiative roll, that is when you get your move/first attack. You then waited and additional number of counts to you weapon speed to get you second attack. You would keep waiting your weapon speed until you were out of attacks for the round.

Remove ads