• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 20th level Sorcerer vs the world

Ashrym

Legend
It doesn't work. Create or Show a build that could effectively challenge him.

It doesn't fail on your say so. It's obvious high level casters can have the spells I listed. It's obvious a DC 19 WIS save effect works on your build most of the time. It's obvious your passive perception and that of your minions is less than the minimum roll on any DEX 14 character with the invisibility spell and expertise stealth.

So on that note... half elf bard (lore) 20

Point buy 10 STR, 15 DEX, 13 CON, 10 INT, 10 WIS, 14 CHA becomes 10 STR, 16 DEX, 14 CON, 10 INT, 10 WIS, 16 CHA after race bonuses.

Feats -- shadow touched (silent image, invisibility +1 CHA), +2 CHA, resilient (WIS), metamagic (distant spell, subtle spell), +1 CHA/+1 WIS.

Final ability scores: 10 STR, 16 DEX, 14 CON, 10 INT, 12 WIS, 20 CHA.

Expertise: stealth (+15), perception (+13), investigation (+12), insight (+13).

Spells:

Cantrips -- prestidigitation, vicious mockery, minor illusion, mage hand
1st -- detect magic, identify, comprehend languages, unseen servant, dissonant whispers, silent image
2nd -- suggestion, detect thoughts, alter self, invisibility
3rd -- bestow curse, dispel magic, non-detection
4th -- dimension door, polymorph, improved invisibility
5th -- modify memories, scrying
6th -- true seeing, soul cage
7th -- teleport, plane shift
8th -- mind blank, glibness
9th -- true polymorph, wish

Your sorcerer example cannot be flying all the time, for starters. His range is good but lacks the ability to find the target on an infiltration build like this.

It doesn't matter how many search actions you think you might have. There's no reason to be searching at all. The mechanic is the invisible bard's stealth check (minimum roll 16) against a 10 DC passive perception.

The bard has true seeing illusions are not an issue.

The invisible stealthy bard sneaks in for an initial ambush, spends the surprise round casting dispel magic, it cannot be counterspelled because the sorc cannot take reactions while surprised, every 3rd level spell and lower on the sorc is gone, the bard makes a dispel check for every spell 4th level and above, the DC is 19 or lower depending on spell level, glibness minimum 15 roll +5 CHA bonus +3 JoaT gives a 23 check minimum removing every spell effect from the sorc, the bard's initiative roll is d20 +3 DEX +3 JoaT + d12 peerless vs the sorc's d20 +2 DEX - d12 cutting words for first attack most of the time, the bard true polymorphs the sorc into an inanimate object 9 timed out of 10 and the sorc with no more contingency has the stats of a turnip. The bard can plane shift or teleport away, or rely on a contingency spell using wish from a previous day in preparation.

I gave my bard subtle spell via feat so even losing initiative allows the second spell.

It doesn't need to be those spells either. That's just the example from weak amti-stealth and targetting weak saves.

Hohige

Explorer
It doesn't fail on your say so. It's obvious high level casters can have the spells I listed. It's obvious a DC 19 WIS save effect works on your build most of the time. It's obvious your passive perception and that of your minions is less than the minimum roll on any DEX 14 character with the invisibility spell and expertise stealth.

So on that note... half elf bard (lore) 20

Point buy 10 STR, 15 DEX, 13 CON, 10 INT, 10 WIS, 14 CHA becomes 10 STR, 16 DEX, 14 CON, 10 INT, 10 WIS, 16 CHA after race bonuses.

Feats -- shadow touched (silent image, invisibility +1 CHA), +2 CHA, resilient (WIS), metamagic (distant spell, subtle spell), +1 CHA/+1 WIS.

Final ability scores: 10 STR, 16 DEX, 14 CON, 10 INT, 12 WIS, 20 CHA.

Expertise: stealth (+15), perception (+13), investigation (+12), insight (+13).

Spells:

Cantrips -- prestidigitation, vicious mockery, minor illusion, mage hand
1st -- detect magic, identify, comprehend languages, unseen servant, dissonant whispers, silent image
2nd -- suggestion, detect thoughts, alter self, invisibility
3rd -- bestow curse, dispel magic, non-detection
4th -- dimension door, polymorph, improved invisibility
5th -- modify memories, scrying
6th -- true seeing, soul cage
7th -- teleport, plane shift
8th -- mind blank, glibness
9th -- true polymorph, wish

Your sorcerer example cannot be flying all the time, for starters. His range is good but lacks the ability to find the target on an infiltration build like this.

It doesn't matter how many search actions you think you might have. There's no reason to be searching at all. The mechanic is the invisible bard's stealth check (minimum roll 16) against a 10 DC passive perception.

The bard has true seeing illusions are not an issue.

The invisible stealthy bard sneaks in for an initial ambush, spends the surprise round casting dispel magic, it cannot be counterspelled because the sorc cannot take reactions while surprised, every 3rd level spell and lower on the sorc is gone, the bard makes a dispel check for every spell 4th level and above, the DC is 19 or lower depending on spell level, glibness minimum 15 roll +5 CHA bonus +3 JoaT gives a 23 check minimum removing every spell effect from the sorc, the bard's initiative roll is d20 +3 DEX +3 JoaT + d12 peerless vs the sorc's d20 +2 DEX - d12 cutting words for first attack most of the time, the bard true polymorphs the sorc into an inanimate object 9 timed out of 10 and the sorc with no more contingency has the stats of a turnip. The bard can plane shift or teleport away, or rely on a contingency spell using wish from a previous day in preparation.

I gave my bard subtle spell via feat so even losing initiative allows the second spell.

It doesn't need to be those spells either. That's just the example from weak amti-stealth and targetting weak saves.
Excellent and powerful build.
But as I said, you are not able to beat the Sorcerer.
The Bard died.

1) "Your sorcerer example cannot be flying all the time, for starters. His range is good but lacks the ability to find the target on an infiltration build like this."

I couldn't disagree more. The Sorcerer can fly all time. It's Divine Soul feature, Otherwordly Wings.
But the Bard cannot fly and cast invisibility at the same time. The bard lacks fly spell. The bard already failed here.

As I said, I demonstrated it before. The sorcerer minions will use Seach Action constantly, because their role is to protect the sorcerer.
Also, the sorcerer and his Simulacrum has +6 Perception with Magical Guidance for rerrols failed checks.
60 Seach action, it means that you were revealed quickly.
Your chance of failing each turn is 99,9%, each turn.

Did you think it would be that easy? The Sorcerer minions find you easily.

2) "The bard has true seeing illusions are not an issue."

I couldn't disagree more.

Okay. You saw the real shape of Galven Magen at 120ft.
The range of the True Seeming spell is limited, against flying creatures this is a clear problem.

The idea was good but it failed.

The Sorcerer is with Mind Blank that beats the True Seeming Spell. So, you're seeing a Galven Magen in front of you, like all the other 60 creatures.
Also, the Sorcerer has a second mundane disguise.
+17 Deception Check, Actor Feat, Disguise Kit, Magical Guidance for failed checks.
Simulacrum duplicates that.

With your True Seeming Spell, the most you can do is see several Galven Magen in front of you. Failing your tactic.

I had already thought of that defense against True Seeming.

3) Your offensive tatic failed, because you can't know who is the target and "Infiltration" tatics and you cannot fly and there's 60 Minions that you just can't discern who your target is.

I will ignore these brutal flaws.

You want to use 3 actions. (Dispel, True Polymorph and Plane Swift)
But before that, The Bard was forced to use Subtle Spell (You only have 2 Sorcery Points) to be invisible and cast True Seeming. Because Spell's Verbal Components reveal you.
Dispel, Polymorph and Plane Swift will be easily counterspelled. Two sorcery points ins't enough, unfortunelly.

Also, how will you survive 1500 damage?

True Polymorph? The Simulacrum just dispel it or the minions breaks your concentration with damage.

There are countless flaws in the bard.
Very powerful and fun build, but the chance to win is 0.

Last edited:

nogray

Adventurer
The many mistakes here.
In your boasts? Yep. :) And you didn't even address the important concerns in your reply. Additionally, I found another glaring error in your plan.

For reference, the most important errors in your boasts are (1) your "effective hit point total" and that your posts seem to indicate that your sims (2) have a 9th-level spell slot, and (3) have an unlimited "useful" life. None are true.
  1. Your simulacrum has a considerably smaller hit point total than you do. As soon as it dies, your resistance goes away, cutting your effective remaining hit points in half. The only way for it to recover hit points is with Unearthly Recovery (requiring that it be below half hit points to use).
  2. You use your 9th level slot to cast the Simulacrum, so it comes into being with an expended 9th-level spell slot. (That's my understanding of it, anyway.) It has no way to regain that spell slot.
  3. You depend on the sim to cast Warding Bond regularly. That's going to chew through its low-level slots or its daily SP rapidly. Regardless of the low-level slots, the sim has only two 6th, two 7th, and one 8th level slot, which can not be regained in any way.
The new error is that (from my reading) Seeming can neither have you look like your Magens convincingly nor your Celestials at all. The Seeming spell includes this text (my emphasis): "You can make each creature seem 1 foot shorter or taller and appear thin, fat, or in between. You can't change a target's body type, so you must choose a form that has the same basic arrangement of limbs." The celestial from the spell is a Large creature with six limbs (2 arms, 2 legs, 2 wings, as pictured in the spell). The magens are medium, 4-limbed creatures (as pictured). Based just on the number of limbs, there is no circumstance where these two can be made to look like one another with the Seeming spell. As to you and your sim, you are also medium, so can't be made to look like your Celestials, and your number of limbs while flying is also six, so you can't look like your magens. (No, I don't think the disguise kit can make up the difference. The celestial thing is maybe-kinda-questionably permissible, as a really short celestial might be made to appear shorter and you taller, but I (in my DM hat) wouldn't let the Seeming spell cross size boundaries without the "shorter" target having a feature like Powerful Build.)

SP and low-level slot analysis for Warding Bond:
If you want the sim to maintain SP for use in possible combats, 16 hours (one adventuring day) of Warding Bond costs a fresh simulacrum all of its level 1 slots (converted to SP), all of its level 2 slots, all of its level 3 slots, one of its level 4 slots, and 6 of its daily SP. Extending this to the whole 24 hour day costs the remaining two level 4 slots and two of its level 5 slots (though this "refunds" the sim 2 SP). If you instead spend SP to generate the slots for the spell, it costs 4 SP per spell, meaning that the sim can cast the spell up to 5 times for the 20 SP it has. The four level-1 slots and three level-2 slots and the 20 SP give 16 hours of protection. The next day, however, the sim would only regain the 20 SP, meaning that it would eat into its higher-level slots. This sorcerer must not have planned for multiple-day outings.

1) No, Coonttingency duration is 10 days.
The trigger for your Contingency was "When I can't cast spell." Can you cast a spell when you are asleep? No? Then your Contingency goes off. Congrats. Or maybe you meant something else to be your trigger. (I'm mostly kidding around here, as it's really not that hard to word a Contingency. A dickish DM, though, would do just that to you.

Sorcerer taking damage is actually very difficult. I found no enemy who was able to hit him.
Then you didn't take long to look. Except in white-room examples, you aren't always flying, as you have to rest (and have no means of quick travel to a safe haven nor any way to make a safe haven). As part of your "defenses" are the Seeming (with my new objection, above), I think I'll also add this: If you Extend the Seeming, you have 16 hours, so are you going to cast that again, or let it lapse for 8 hours each day?

3) I suggest you create/show a build that can challenge the Sorcerer, Its more harder than you think.
Low Perception, Low Wis saving throw doesn't really threaten him. His defenses bypass it.
How? In some white-room example where your play is inexplicably perfect while your enemies attack you with only rudimentary tactics?

4) ... Subtle Planar Binding avoid "Hostility". I love subtle spell so much.
How does Subtle Spell have anything to do with the "hostility" bit of Planar Binding? Subtle Spell on Planar Binding is meaningless. Sure, it removes the VS components (not the M of the 1000 gp gem you had to crush as part of casting the spell), but you were still there with the Celestial for the hour of casting the spell. It knows who cast the spell on it; otherwise, it wouldn't know whose orders to follow. As to the interaction of Planar Binding and Summon Celestial, it could be argued that, while the Summon Celestial gets you an Avenger Celestial that follows your verbal commands for an hour (okay, so you Extend the spell to two hours so it lasts long enough to Planar Binding it), but the Planar Binding spell (it might be argued) replaces/augments the description of the Summon Celestial's "obeys your verbal commands" and "is an ally to you" with information about a creature that is (or becomes) hostile to you. Depending on the DM's ruling, you could say that unnaturally extending the service from an hour to 180 days gets you that hostility; at that point, your minion is no more "loyal" than any other Planar Binding minion.

"It obeys your verbal commands (no action required by you)"
This does not mean that I need to give a command him every turn. Just give a general command and it's over. It also apply to Create Magen, give a general comand (Protect me and defeat every creature other than us that are on your range). You don't need do it every turn.
Cool! Now to kill you, all I have to do is make you look like any other creature (other than yourself and your gang). Any Illusion spell might just make it so that your minions don't recognize you. At that point, all your minions' damage is turned on you (only half-serious, here). The verbal command each turn (or each change in target, or whatever) vs. general command bit is a DM call. I could see it either way, so I'm happy to drop it.

5) Do you think 1x1 is a bad parameter for you?
That's not the parameter I was questioning. Since you didn't seem to understand that, let me be more clear:
  1. Would you prefer an arena combat or a more "part of real play" sort of challenge?
  2. If an arena, what sort of prep time and resources would you prefer? (From an absolutely alone beginning.)
  3. If a real-play encounter, you will need the exact composition of your forces, including that your hit point total and your sim's most recent casting will be reduced for each magen that is part of your forces, and you will have to resolve the Seeming spell issue, above. You would also need to put thought into how you travel, what your camping looks like, what your exact orders are to your forces, etc.
I think that's it for now. Have a good night! :)

nogray

Adventurer
You rest for a day before your simulacrum casts (Normal) Simulacrum on you. It means all your simulacrums have one less 7th level spell, but get your 8th and 9th level spells.
That doesn't work for this character. His sim can't cast a "normal" Simulacrum spell. He only has the spell from a Wish; it's not even on his list of spells that he can possibly know.

nogray

Adventurer
I couldn't disagree more. The Sorcerer can fly all time. It's Divine Soul feature, Otherwordly Wings.
Your sorcerer still has to rest. It has to land to do so.

As I said, I demonstrated it before. The sorcerer minions will use Seach Action constantly, because their role is to protect the sorcerer.
Also, the sorcerer and his Simulacrum has +6 Perception with Magical Guidance for rerrols failed checks.
That's not how stealth works. The bard rolls one stealth check, which is then the DC for all rolls that search. If the roll is 12+, no one in your party can see him. Ever. At all. If the roll is 8+, only the sorc and the sim have even a chance at spotting the bard. Do you constantly spend your SP on failed perception rolls for not seeing an encroaching enemy? If so, your out of SP two minutes into the day. Don't be silly. The roll would have to be 5 or less for the magen to even have a chance to find the bard with their perception.

So, now your Seeming is to appear as a Galvan? I thought it was "otherworldly celestial." Either way, you are the one with the wings. Your magen don't have wings. The Seeming spell can't cover that up.

The Sorcerer is with Mind Blank that beats the True Seeming Spell. So, you're seeing a Galven Magen in front of you, like all the other 60 creatures.
So this is, what, your sixth or seventh distinct use for your Wish today? (Exaggerating, but you claim to use the level 9 slot for a lot of things. And it changes each time someone brings something up.) If you plan to have the level 9 slot available for combat, you can't have used it on Mind Blank. If you use it for Mind Blank, you can't use it for anything else, like refreshing your depleted sim.

+17 Deception Check, Actor Feat, Disguise Kit, Magical Guidance for failed checks.
His normal skills will penetrate the Seeming pretty easily (DC 18). His soft skills are +12 or +13, which is not that far from your +17 (which is debatable as to whether the +17 from your deception or the +11 from the disguise kit actually applies. I'd rule the disguise kit, personally, so he is beating you, on average. Your Magical Guidance is great, but there goes another of your limited use abilities. Are you accounting for this?

But before that, The Bard was forced to use Subtle Spell (You only have 2 Sorcery Points) to be invisible and cast True Seeming. Because Spell's Verbal Components reveal you.
Dispel, Polymorph and Plane Swift will be easily counterspelled. Two sorcery points ins't enough, unfortunelly.
The bard pre-casts Invisibility and True Seeing as you are landing to rest after a hard day flying around destroying villages and whatnot. (No subtle spell needed.) From here, I'd likely change the actions that were described. Up close-ish, the bard finds some cover and subtle-casts Improved Invisibility (still little or no chance to detect anything). Then, A's Bard gets to melee range and (surprise round) subtle-casts the Polymorph (Greater restoration won't do anything to counter the polymorph) and uses his interaction to pick your character up. None of your minions can act before the bard plane-shifts out.

I might have missed some things. It's late/early here. :) Good night!

Ashrym

Legend
Excellent and powerful build.
But as I said, you are not able to beat the Sorcerer.
The Bard died.

1) "Your sorcerer example cannot be flying all the time, for starters. His range is good but lacks the ability to find the target on an infiltration build like this."

But the Bard cannot fly and cast invisibility at the same time. The bard lacks fly spell. The bard already failed here.

The sorcerer can fly at any time. That's not the same as flying all the time.

Did you think it would be that easy? The Sorcerer minions find you easily.

The minions cannot be searching at all times any more than the sorc can be flying all the time.

They also need to search the correct area leading to fruitless efforts.

2) "The bard has true seeing illusions are not an issue."

I couldn't disagree more.

The range of the True Seeming spell is limited, against flying creatures this is a clear problem.

The idea was good but it failed.

The Magen don't eat, drink, breath, speak, or sleep. They give themselves away via behavior. The celestials won't look like Magen.

The bard's passive investigation (22) beats the DC 18) to penetrate the seeming already.

Your hoping the Magens' poor search ability beats the bard's good stealth ability before the bard's good investigation and perception skills, and true seeing, find the only Magen using standard living features.

It should be +16 deception because your build had 18 CHA instead of 20 CHA, which isn't far from +13 insight opposing it, plus an inspiration die if needed.

With your True Seeming Spell, the most you can do is see several Galven Magen in front of you. Failing your tactic.

I had already thought of that defense against True Seeming.

It's mostly watching for that one guy who can't hold his breath forever and tries to keep more distance because the Magen don't have the same range.

3) Your offensive tatic failed, because you can't know who is the target and "Infiltration" tatics and you cannot fly and there's 60 Minions that you just can't discern who your target is.

The bard example needs to plan infiltration for when eating or resting is likely but eventually will figure it out, even if it means leaving and returning multiple times.

True seeing and invisibility last an hour. That's plenty of time to set up before approaching.

The argument for dispel magic is it cannot be cast while surprised because the sorc cannot use the required reaction.

The only spell that would be subject to counterspell is true polymorph, and that's protected by subtle spell.

Also, how will you survive 1500 damage?

The bard wouldn't, but that's beside the point of the build.

True Polymorph? The Simulacrum just dispel it or the minions breaks your concentration with damage.

You are unable to issue those commands. You've been polymorphed.

Even if that were the case, it was the point of my own contingency and escape, the simulacrum doesn't regain spent slots, d20+4 to dispel at DC 19 is low chance, and the bard can instakill the simulacrum with another dispel magic if needed.

There are countless flaws in the bard.
Very powerful and fun build, but the chance to win is 0.

Everything has it's flaws.

delph

Explorer
1) the level 17 can't bypass the "Improved Mirror Image" (More than 60 clones)
View attachment 131093
Disguised Galven Magen​
2) The Sorcerer defeats the caster with 260 damage at 660ft and 1000 damage per turn with Magen Minions.
3) Counterspell
4) Bestow Curse is touch range vs flying 660ft range
5) Bestow Curse can be dispelled.
1) I don't know spell "improved mirror image" ... and it can't have life time duration... but sorcerer must have great paranoia to keep it casted for every second of life
2) as 1 - have it casted for whole time? Will he attack for everything what move?
3) ok add 3 lvl warlock with pact of chain for invisible flying familiar delivering touch spell...
4) I don't know if any sorcerer conjured minion can cast dispell or remove curse, but when sorcerer with Wisdom save 0 have bestow curse with DC20 on him, he NEVER do anythig. So no dispell. An probably can't give comand to remove his Bestow curse.

Hohige

Explorer
The sorcerer can fly at any time. That's not the same as flying all the time.

The minions cannot be searching at all times any more than the sorc can be flying all the time.

They also need to search the correct area leading to fruitless efforts.

The Magen don't eat, drink, breath, speak, or sleep. They give themselves away via behavior. The celestials won't look like Magen.

The bard's passive investigation (22) beats the DC 18) to penetrate the seeming already.

Your hoping the Magens' poor search ability beats the bard's good stealth ability before the bard's good investigation and perception skills, and true seeing, find the only Magen using standard living features.

It should be +16 deception because your build had 18 CHA instead of 20 CHA, which isn't far from +13 insight opposing it, plus an inspiration die if needed.

It's mostly watching for that one guy who can't hold his breath forever and tries to keep more distance because the Magen don't have the same range.

The bard example needs to plan infiltration for when eating or resting is likely but eventually will figure it out, even if it means leaving and returning multiple times.

True seeing and invisibility last an hour. That's plenty of time to set up before approaching.

The argument for dispel magic is it cannot be cast while surprised because the sorc cannot use the required reaction.

The only spell that would be subject to counterspell is true polymorph, and that's protected by subtle spell.

The bard wouldn't, but that's beside the point of the build.

You are unable to issue those commands. You've been polymorphed.

Even if that were the case, it was the point of my own contingency and escape, the simulacrum doesn't regain spent slots, d20+4 to dispel at DC 19 is low chance, and the bard can instakill the simulacrum with another dispel magic if needed.

Everything has it's flaws.
1) "The sorcerer can fly at any time. That's not the same as flying all the time."

It looks like Thee bard is going to try to invade the Sorcerer's fortress. Well, that doesn't seem like a good idea.

1610286380499.png

You cause a temple to shimmer into existence on ground you can see within range. The temple must fit within an unoccupied cube of space, up to 120 feet on each side. The temple remains until the spell ends. It is dedicated to whatever god, pantheon, or philosophy is represented by the holy symbol used in the casting.
You make all decisions about the temple’s appearance. The interior is enclosed by a floor, walls, and a roof, with one door granting access to the interior and as many windows as you wish. Only you and any creatures you designate when you cast the spell can open or close the door.
The temple’s interior is an open space with an idol or altar at one end. You decide whether the temple is illuminated and whether that illumination is bright light or dim light. The smell of burning incense fills the air within, and the temperature is mild.
The temple opposes types of creatures you choose when you cast this spell. Choose one or more of the following: celestials, elementals, fey, fiends, or undead. If a creature of the chosen type attempts to enter the temple, that creature must make a Charisma saving throw. On a failed save, it can’t enter the temple for 24 hours. Even if the creature can enter the temple, the magic there hinders it; whenever it makes an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw inside the temple, it must roll a d4 and subtract the number rolled from the d20 roll.
In addition, the sensors created by divination spells can’t appear inside the temple, and creatures within can’t be targeted by divination spells.
Finally, whenever any creature in the temple regains hit points from a spell of 1st level or higher, the creature regains additional hit points equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum 1 hit point).
The temple is made from opaque magical force that extends into the Ethereal Plane, thus blocking ethereal travel into the temple’s interior. Nothing can physically pass through the temple’s exterior. It can’t be dispelled by dispel magic, and antimagic field has no effect on it. A disintegrate spell destroys the temple instantly.
Casting this spell on the same spot every day for a year makes this effect permanent.

A fortress of stone erupts from a square area of ground of your choice that you can see within range. The area is 120 feet on each side, and it must not have any buildings or other structures on it. Any creatures in the area are harmlessly lifted up as the fortress rises.
The fortress has four turrets with square bases, each one 20 feet on a side and 30 feet tall, with one turret on each corner. The turrets are connected to each other by stone walls that are each 80 feet long, creating an enclosed area. Each wall is 1 foot thick and is composed of panels that are 10 feet wide and 20 feet tall. Each panel is contiguous with two other panels or one other panel and a turret. You can place up to four stone doors in the fortress’s outer wall.
A small keep stands inside the enclosed area. The keep has a square base that is 50 feet on each side, and it has three floors with 10-foot-high ceilings. Each of the floors can be divided into as many rooms as you like, provided each room is at least 5 feet on each side. The floors of the keep are connected by stone staircases, its walls are 6 inches thick, and interior rooms can have stone doors or open archways as you choose. The keep is furnished and decorated however you like, and it contains sufficient food to serve a nine-course banquet for up to 100 people each day. Furnishings, food, and other objects created by this spell crumble to dust if removed from the fortress.
A staff of one hundred invisible servants obeys anycommand given to them by creatures you designate when you cast the spell. Each servant functions as if created by the unseen servant spell.
The walls, turrets, and keep are all made of stone that can be damaged. Each 10—foot—bya10-foot section of stone has AC 15 and 30 hit points per inch of thickness. It is immune to poison and psychic damage. Reducing a section of stone to 0 hit points destroys it and might cause connected sections to buckle and collapse at the DM’s discretion.
After 7 days or when you cast this spell somewhere else, the fortress harmlessly crumbles and sinks back into the ground, leaving any creatures that were inside it safely on the ground.
Casting this spell on the same spot once every 7 days for a year makes the fortress permanent.

• You make an area within range magically secure. The area is a cube that can be as small as 5 feet to as large as 100 feet on each side. The spell lasts for the duration or until you use an action to dismiss it.
    When you cast the spell, you decide what sort of security the spell provides, choosing any or all of the following properties:
    Sound can’t pass through the barrier at the edge of the warded area.
    The barrier of the warded area appears dark and foggy, preventing vision (including darkvision) through it.
    Sensors created by divination spells can’t appear inside the protected area or pass through the barrier at its perimeter.
    Creatures in the area can’t be targeted by divination spells.
    Nothing can teleport into or out of the warded area.
    Planar travel is blocked within the warded area.
    Casting this spell on the same spot every day for a year makes this effect permanent.
    At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 5th level or higher, you can increase the size of the cube by 100 feet for each slot level beyond 4th. Thus you could protect a cube that can be up to 200 feet on one side by using a spell slot of 5th level.

Hallow​

You touch a point and infuse an area around it with holy (or unholy) power. The area can have a radius up to 60 feet, and the spell fails if the radius includes an area already under the Effect a hallow spell. The affected area is subject to the following Effects.

First, Celestials, Elementals, fey, Fiends, and Undead can't enter the area, nor can such creatures charm, frighten, or possess creatures within it. Any creature Charmed, Frightened, or possessed by such a creature is no longer Charmed, Frightened, or possessed upon entering the area. You can exclude one or more of those types of creatures from this Effect.

Second, you can bind an extra Effect to the area. Choose the Effect from the following list, or choose an Effect offered by the DM. Some of these Effects apply to creatures in the area, you can designate whether the Effect applies to all creatures, creatures that follow a specific deity or leader, or creatures of a specific sort, such as ores or Trolls. When a creature that would be affected enters the spell's area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there, it can make a Charisma saving throw. On a success, the creature ignores the extra Effect until it leaves the area.

Courage: Affected creatures can't be Frightened while in the area.

Darkness: Darkness fills the area. Normal light, as well as magical light created by Spells of a lower level than the slot you used to cast this spell, can't illuminate the area.

Daylight: Bright light fills the area. Magical Darkness created by Spells of a lower level than the slot you used to cast this spell can't extinguish the light.

Energy Protection: Affected creatures in the area have Resistance to one damage type of your choice, except for bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing.

Energy Vulnerability: Affected creatures in the area have vulnerability to one damage type of your choice, except for bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing.

Everlasting Rest: Dead bodies interred in the area can't be turned into Undead.

Extradimensional Interference: Affected creatures can't move or Travel using teleportation or by extradimensional or interplanar means.

Fear: Affected creatures are Frightened while in the area.

Silence: No sound can emanate from within the area, and no sound can reach into it.

Tongues: Affected creatures can communicate with any other creature in the area, even if they don't share a Common language.

The Sorcerer's fortress has a temple of the gods in the middle and is protected by the Mighty Temple. Mighty temple protects against the temple of the gods against Desintegrate spell, but the bard does not have this spell.
All spells mentioned is to protect Temple of gods

Sentinels. Flying around the Temple, using Search Action, each turn. Find any intruder.

Search

When you take the Search action, you devote your attention to finding something. Depending on the Nature of your Search, the GM might have you make a Wisdom (Perception) check or an Intelligence (Investigation) check.

It means, with +16 stealth check has 20% chance to fail.
The Simulacrum has +6 Check with Magical Guidance. To It's 50% chance to fail, each turn. Each turn.
Sorcerer has over 60 Seach action per turn. Which means, that you failed with a 99.99% chance, each turn.

It will be really difficult (Impossible) for Bard to infiltrate.

2) "The bard's passive investigation (22) beats the DC 18) to penetrate the seeming already".

I couldn't disagree more. The Spell specifies, you need to expend an action for roll a Investigation check. Passive Investigation is useless here.
All creature is magically and mundane disguised, It's more than one check.
Your passive investigation is 22. The Sorcerer has actor feat.
  • You have an advantage on Charisma (Deception) and Charisma (Performance) checks when trying to pass yourself off as a different person.
It's +17 check with advantage and magical guidance and guidance cantrip for extra 1d4.
The Simulacrum duplicates it.

4d20 (the best roll) +17 +1d4(Average +2,5). Well, you're going to need a lot of luck.
With 4 rolls (d20), He needs roll 2 or more. (Good lucky).

3) "The argument for dispel magic is it cannot be cast while surprised because the sorc cannot use the required reaction."

The bard certainly will not surprise as explained. Can't fly and can't penetrate the sorcerer's fortness

4) "You are unable to issue those commands. You've been polymorphed."

I couldn't disagree more. The Sorcerer doesn't need commands every turn, every action.
The general comand is: "Protect me with your best abilities and defeat every creature other than us". "Protect me with your best abilities against intruders and find any enemy trying to infiltrate"

5) The bard can't teleport to save himself, Hollow Spell, Forbiddance will block your teleportation. You are dead in a single turn with 1500 damage.

6) The Sorcerer and his Simulacrum regain 4 Sorcery Points each short rest, He has a lot of SP avaiable.

7) Your subtle True Polymorph can be counterspelled, because It has material components. Sorry.

Last edited:

Hohige

Explorer
Your sorcerer still has to rest. It has to land to do so.

That's not how stealth works. The bard rolls one stealth check, which is then the DC for all rolls that search. If the roll is 12+, no one in your party can see him. Ever. At all. If the roll is 8+, only the sorc and the sim have even a chance at spotting the bard. Do you constantly spend your SP on failed perception rolls for not seeing an encroaching enemy? If so, your out of SP two minutes into the day. Don't be silly. The roll would have to be 5 or less for the magen to even have a chance to find the bard with their perception.

So, now your Seeming is to appear as a Galvan? I thought it was "otherworldly celestial." Either way, you are the one with the wings. Your magen don't have wings. The Seeming spell can't cover that up.

So this is, what, your sixth or seventh distinct use for your Wish today? (Exaggerating, but you claim to use the level 9 slot for a lot of things. And it changes each time someone brings something up.) If you plan to have the level 9 slot available for combat, you can't have used it on Mind Blank. If you use it for Mind Blank, you can't use it for anything else, like refreshing your depleted sim.

His normal skills will penetrate the Seeming pretty easily (DC 18). His soft skills are +12 or +13, which is not that far from your +17 (which is debatable as to whether the +17 from your deception or the +11 from the disguise kit actually applies. I'd rule the disguise kit, personally, so he is beating you, on average. Your Magical Guidance is great, but there goes another of your limited use abilities. Are you accounting for this?

The bard pre-casts Invisibility and True Seeing as you are landing to rest after a hard day flying around destroying villages and whatnot. (No subtle spell needed.) From here, I'd likely change the actions that were described. Up close-ish, the bard finds some cover and subtle-casts Improved Invisibility (still little or no chance to detect anything). Then, A's Bard gets to melee range and (surprise round) subtle-casts the Polymorph (Greater restoration won't do anything to counter the polymorph) and uses his interaction to pick your character up. None of your minions can act before the bard plane-shifts out.

I might have missed some things. It's late/early here. :) Good night!

1) "Your sorcerer still has to rest. It has to land to do so"

It looks like the bard is going to try to invade the Sorcerer's fortress. Well, that doesn't seem like a good idea.

1610286312082.png

You cause a temple to shimmer into existence on ground you can see within range. The temple must fit within an unoccupied cube of space, up to 120 feet on each side. The temple remains until the spell ends. It is dedicated to whatever god, pantheon, or philosophy is represented by the holy symbol used in the casting.
You make all decisions about the temple’s appearance. The interior is enclosed by a floor, walls, and a roof, with one door granting access to the interior and as many windows as you wish. Only you and any creatures you designate when you cast the spell can open or close the door.
The temple’s interior is an open space with an idol or altar at one end. You decide whether the temple is illuminated and whether that illumination is bright light or dim light. The smell of burning incense fills the air within, and the temperature is mild.
The temple opposes types of creatures you choose when you cast this spell. Choose one or more of the following: celestials, elementals, fey, fiends, or undead. If a creature of the chosen type attempts to enter the temple, that creature must make a Charisma saving throw. On a failed save, it can’t enter the temple for 24 hours. Even if the creature can enter the temple, the magic there hinders it; whenever it makes an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw inside the temple, it must roll a d4 and subtract the number rolled from the d20 roll.
In addition, the sensors created by divination spells can’t appear inside the temple, and creatures within can’t be targeted by divination spells.
Finally, whenever any creature in the temple regains hit points from a spell of 1st level or higher, the creature regains additional hit points equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum 1 hit point).
The temple is made from opaque magical force that extends into the Ethereal Plane, thus blocking ethereal travel into the temple’s interior. Nothing can physically pass through the temple’s exterior. It can’t be dispelled by dispel magic, and antimagic field has no effect on it. A disintegrate spell destroys the temple instantly.

A fortress of stone erupts from a square area of ground of your choice that you can see within range. The area is 120 feet on each side, and it must not have any buildings or other structures on it. Any creatures in the area are harmlessly lifted up as the fortress rises.
The fortress has four turrets with square bases, each one 20 feet on a side and 30 feet tall, with one turret on each corner. The turrets are connected to each other by stone walls that are each 80 feet long, creating an enclosed area. Each wall is 1 foot thick and is composed of panels that are 10 feet wide and 20 feet tall. Each panel is contiguous with two other panels or one other panel and a turret. You can place up to four stone doors in the fortress’s outer wall.
A small keep stands inside the enclosed area. The keep has a square base that is 50 feet on each side, and it has three floors with 10-foot-high ceilings. Each of the floors can be divided into as many rooms as you like, provided each room is at least 5 feet on each side. The floors of the keep are connected by stone staircases, its walls are 6 inches thick, and interior rooms can have stone doors or open archways as you choose. The keep is furnished and decorated however you like, and it contains sufficient food to serve a nine-course banquet for up to 100 people each day. Furnishings, food, and other objects created by this spell crumble to dust if removed from the fortress.
A staff of one hundred invisible servants obeys anycommand given to them by creatures you designate when you cast the spell. Each servant functions as if created by the unseen servant spell.
The walls, turrets, and keep are all made of stone that can be damaged. Each 10—foot—bya10-foot section of stone has AC 15 and 30 hit points per inch of thickness. It is immune to poison and psychic damage. Reducing a section of stone to 0 hit points destroys it and might cause connected sections to buckle and collapse at the DM’s discretion.
After 7 days or when you cast this spell somewhere else, the fortress harmlessly crumbles and sinks back into the ground, leaving any creatures that were inside it safely on the ground.
Casting this spell on the same spot once every 7 days for a year makes the fortress permanent.

• You make an area within range magically secure. The area is a cube that can be as small as 5 feet to as large as 100 feet on each side. The spell lasts for the duration or until you use an action to dismiss it.
    When you cast the spell, you decide what sort of security the spell provides, choosing any or all of the following properties:
    Sound can’t pass through the barrier at the edge of the warded area.
    The barrier of the warded area appears dark and foggy, preventing vision (including darkvision) through it.
    Sensors created by divination spells can’t appear inside the protected area or pass through the barrier at its perimeter.
    Creatures in the area can’t be targeted by divination spells.
    Nothing can teleport into or out of the warded area.
    Planar travel is blocked within the warded area.
    At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 5th level or higher, you can increase the size of the cube by 100 feet for each slot level beyond 4th. Thus you could protect a cube that can be up to 200 feet on one side by using a spell slot of 5th level.

Hallow​

You touch a point and infuse an area around it with holy (or unholy) power. The area can have a radius up to 60 feet, and the spell fails if the radius includes an area already under the Effect a hallow spell. The affected area is subject to the following Effects.

First, Celestials, Elementals, fey, Fiends, and Undead can't enter the area, nor can such creatures charm, frighten, or possess creatures within it. Any creature Charmed, Frightened, or possessed by such a creature is no longer Charmed, Frightened, or possessed upon entering the area. You can exclude one or more of those types of creatures from this Effect.

Second, you can bind an extra Effect to the area. Choose the Effect from the following list, or choose an Effect offered by the DM. Some of these Effects apply to creatures in the area, you can designate whether the Effect applies to all creatures, creatures that follow a specific deity or leader, or creatures of a specific sort, such as ores or Trolls. When a creature that would be affected enters the spell's area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there, it can make a Charisma saving throw. On a success, the creature ignores the extra Effect until it leaves the area.

Courage: Affected creatures can't be Frightened while in the area.

Darkness: Darkness fills the area. Normal light, as well as magical light created by Spells of a lower level than the slot you used to cast this spell, can't illuminate the area.

Daylight: Bright light fills the area. Magical Darkness created by Spells of a lower level than the slot you used to cast this spell can't extinguish the light.

Energy Protection: Affected creatures in the area have Resistance to one damage type of your choice, except for bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing.

Energy Vulnerability: Affected creatures in the area have vulnerability to one damage type of your choice, except for bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing.

Everlasting Rest: Dead bodies interred in the area can't be turned into Undead.

Extradimensional Interference: Affected creatures can't move or Travel using teleportation or by extradimensional or interplanar means.

Fear: Affected creatures are Frightened while in the area.

Silence: No sound can emanate from within the area, and no sound can reach into it.

Tongues: Affected creatures can communicate with any other creature in the area, even if they don't share a Common language.

The Sorcerer's fortress has a temple of the gods in the middle and is protected by the Mighty Temple. Mighty temple protects against the temple of the gods against Desintegrate spell, but the bard does not have this spell.
All spells mentioned is to protect Temple of gods. All permanent spells.

Sentinels. Flying around the Temple, using Search Action, each turn. Find any intruder.

Search

When you take the Search action, you devote your attention to finding something. Depending on the Nature of your Search, the GM might have you make a Wisdom (Perception) check or an Intelligence (Investigation) check.

It means, with +15 stealth check has 25% chance to fail.
The Simulacrum has +6 Check with Magical Guidance and advantage (Help action) for 4d20 +6 . To It's 70% chance to fail, each turn. Each turn.
Sorcerer has over 60 Seach action per turn. Which means, that you failed with a 99.99% chance, each turn.

It will be really difficult (Impossible) for Bard to infiltrate.

2) "That's not how stealth works. The bard rolls one stealth check, which is then the DC for all rolls that search. If the roll is 12+, no one in your party can see him. Ever. At all. If the roll is 8+, only the sorc and the sim have even a chance at spotting the bard. Do you constantly spend your SP on failed perception rolls for not seeing an encroaching enemy? If so, your out of SP two minutes into the day. Don't be silly. The roll would have to be 5 or less for the magen to even have a chance to find the bard with their perception."

I couldn't disagree more. You need to roll more than 60 stealth rolls against all minions, each turn. The bard will certainly fails.

Search

It isn't a passive roll. It's search action against all creatures.

+15 Stealth check isn't great vs +6 With Magical Guidance x 2 (Simulacrum and the Sorcerer)

Attacking the Sorcerer while he's resting doesn't seem like a good idea.

Last edited:

Hohige

Explorer
1) I don't know spell "improved mirror image" ... and it can't have life time duration... but sorcerer must have great paranoia to keep it casted for every second of life
2) as 1 - have it casted for whole time? Will he attack for everything what move?
3) ok add 3 lvl warlock with pact of chain for invisible flying familiar delivering touch spell...
4) I don't know if any sorcerer conjured minion can cast dispell or remove curse, but when sorcerer with Wisdom save 0 have bestow curse with DC20 on him, he NEVER do anythig. So no dispell. An probably can't give comand to remove his Bestow curse.
1) Multiclass isn't allowed.
2) 60 Search action per turn will certainly detect any intruders, including the "invisible flying familiar".
3) Bestow Curse can be dispelled with Dispell.
4) 60 Clones is hard to do.
5) The familiar can delivery a touch spell at 100ft of you x 660ft range enemies.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads