D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] TWF only for rogues?

iwatt

First Post
I was reading the [3.5] SRD and noticed the prerequisites for the higher twf feats have higher dex requirements (ITWF has 17 Dex BAB +6, GTWF 19 DEX). I might be wrong, but in 3.0 the requiremnts were DEX 15, the previouis TWF feat and an appropriate BAB. Why the extreme Dex? This places it out of reach for those high strength fighters with "only" 15 DEX (I know it's suboptimal. If you have the muscle use it). But as written the only way to achieve all those extra attacks requires using most of your attribute raises to amp up your Dex (losing flexibilty).

The only reason I can come up is that:
Strong---> You will use Power attack and Cleave
Dex ------> You will use TWF, preferably with a long knitting needle and a skinning knife. By the way, forget about raisng your strength damage if you want to get any use out of TWF

I'm not in any great pain, although I really don't understand the need to keep upping the Dex requirements.

Spatula

Explorer
Tear44 said:
I think its because TWF feat chain in 3.0 started with Ambidexterity.

Didn't it have a dex 15 requirement?
Yes, but you never needed higher than a 15 Dex in order to get the Improved or Greater 2WF feats. Needing a 19 Dex for Greater 2WF definitely seems to pigeon-hole 2WFers into finesse characters (or rangers).

Darklone

It's still nice for archer fighter chars who have too many feats left. And I never saw one fighter with less than dex 18 as soon as he got some boosts.

Dex 19 at level 11 seems possible too.

Drawmack

First Post
Rangers can choose the two weapon fighting path which eventually gives them all the feats even if they don't qualify for them.

iwatt

First Post
What I mena is that in 3.0 you didn't need the uber dex (and 19+ DEX is pretty high when you are a TWF, you need strength for damage and Con for those full round attacks)

What I don't undesrtand is "why" they keep piling up the Dex requirements?

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I really think the high stats reqs for any feat are a poor design decision. This limits the availability of the feats to the lucky(rolling is still the standard), the powergamers, and the really specialized character. People who want to pick up a 2nd track like most fighters will with their feat progression are basically screwed, a cleric or other class with a different prime stat who wanted for some reason to be an archer or two weapon monkey is screwed. It just seems to be a restrictions not options method of deisgn.

There are plenty of better ways of giving a pre-req that limits it to those of a certain powerlevel in order to balance a feat. level pre-reqs, BAB pre-res which only limit it from wiz/sor types, maybe another feat needed etc.

Mike Sullivan

First Post
I agree that the high Dex requirements are silly.

However, I feel compelled to note that Rangers get the feats without needing to meet the Dex requirements -- thus, it's clearly not "only for Rogues." :)

Remove ads