D&D (2024) 4/26 Playtest: The Fighter

Bluenose

Adventurer
If it's free, it doesn't really matter how small it is at later levels, because it's still better than what you had before. It might matter at level 1 though, especially taking into account multi-class dipping.

If there is an opportunity cost, e.g. sacrificing one attack to get it, then I can see how someone might want to consider balance issues but I would have thought that you would only want to sacrifice one of your attacks where it was worth it, e.g. where practically surrounded or where the enemy's damage potential is high.
If it's up there listed at 11th level, it's not likely that there'll be other abilities added to the Fighter at 11th level. It won't matter how mediocre it is, it'll be something the Fighter gets at higher levels just like the Wizard gets more abilities at higher levels.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
This thread is to discuss the new fighter.

So all in all, pretty solid. First, the bonus to indomitable is great! Its not quite auto-pass like I was hoping but it gets pretty close at high levels. Also the ability at higher levels to combine an indomitable and heal is very nice!

On the masteries, I think they will be nice editions, although I do think WOTC doesn't understand that more masteries really isn't a benefit. You get 3 at the start and you can swap them with a long rest....I mean what else do you need? That's 2 melee and a ranged weapon right there. Getting to 4th and 5th weapons for masteries, that seems like a complete ribbon at that point. Obviously using multiple masteries on the same weapon is cool.

And of course the greatest flavor victory, giving Persuasion to the fighter! While there have already been a number of ways to do this through backgrounds and the like, its nice that WOTC acknowledges the Fighter is often the leader of the group in flavor, and needs to have a bit of persuasive charisma to get the job done at times.

In terms of the Champion, the new powers are both simple and generally quite useful. Another skill....absolutely. More heroic inspiration, can always use more of that. I appreciated that they focused a bit more on the breadth here, giving the champion options that can be used in combat, or more out of combat stuff if they want to.

Will this fighter be equal power to a high level caster, eh probably not. Is it a step in the right direction and overall an improvement to the original concept? It is indeed.
I just completed the playtest survey. I mostly like the fighter but I did not like the Action Surge and other needless Nerfs in the play test. I like indomitiable but I thought it would be good to just make Unconquerable an auto success. The Martial Masteries help but I thought they should clarify the language about adding masteries to a weapon that wouldn't normally have them. I thought adding a mastery and keeping the one that the weapon has onboard would not be out of line or OP. The individual masteries need more work especially flex. We missed a reason to use a versatile weapon two handed.

Remove ads