• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 4/26 Playtest: The Fighter

I don't understand what you mean? do rogues have an ability I don;t know? I think the arcane trickster can use mage hand as a bonus but I'm not sure about that. Any sorcerer can quicken with enough points?
What does this have to do with action surge change?

oh so this has nothing to do with rogues it's just "If your not a spell caster you can only atttack" BS I keep finding.

okay so you added 1 level to the dip for a spell caster, and by adding that 1 level you get the spell caster level of 1/3 so it works out perfect, and the most common caster multi into fighter I have seen... three levels. So what changed?

oh what changed is you didn't silo the fighter into only using there abilities in combat...
To clarify, Rogues get Cunning Action that allows them to use some Actions as Bonus Actions. They are limited in the types of actions. That is not weird. It would be weird if they could also cast a spell as a bonus action. That is not in their purview. Now some Rogue subclasses can do more stuff with Cunning Action (but not cast a spell as a bonus action).

By the same reasoning, it is also weird for a Fighter to know how to cast a spell quickly with Action Surge. There is no narrative or functional reason for a baseline fighter to be able to do that. It's not in their purview. Right now there are people who dip 2 levels into a non-magical fighter to cast 2 spells per round. Makes no sense. However, perhaps at 3rd level, the Eldritch Knight could be justified narratively in that they have learned how to cast 2 spells in a round. By taking a 3rd level in fighter and taking that subclass, that is an interesting choice that makes narrative sense, and requires another class to invest more into that archetype to make that a reality (taking 3 levels of fighter rather than 2). You're right in that the 1/3 level multiclass spellcaster thing makes it work even better.

ChameleonX

Explorer
I don't see how the base fighter got nerfed. You still get double the attacks for a turn.

Was there some other action (besides casting a second spell) that you want to see?
Drinking a Potion, using the Help action, or Search, or Study, or equipping a shield, or administering a potion to an ally, activating a magic item, using a skill that takes an action, using an object.

Literally anything that takes an action.

If spells are what they're worried about, why not just specify that you can't use a Magic action? Isn't that the whole point of adding that distinction?

mellored

Legend
dash is the most common one I have seen but also for knowladge checks, spells, parts of skill challenges and social rolls I have seen it used myself
Seems really odd that talking twice as fast makes you more persuasive, but sure. Why not add the influence and study actions.
Also the help action.

Mainly they just need to keep spell casting out.

Drinking a Potion, using the Help action, or Search, or Study, or equipping a shield, or administering a potion to an ally, activating a magic item, using a skill that takes an action, using an object.

Literally anything that takes an action.

If spells are what they're worried about, why not just specify that you can't use a Magic action? Isn't that the whole point of adding that distinction?
Maybe Fighter subclasses can expand what Action Surge can do. Perhaps a "Banneret" Fighter can use it with the Help action, with added functionality to inspire their ally kick some butt (maybe make an attack that hits an auto crit? That could be fun and meaningfully worth it.)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I hopped that if the fighter was bounded to "just doing regular stuff better they would lean into it

1. If Fighters got Extra Attacks then should get
    1. Extra Dash
    2. Extra Dodge
    3. Extra Disengage
    4. Extra Search
  2. The fighter should get some sort of out combat ability. For example having a mastery of body control due to mastery of combat allows the fighter to recover from a failed Athletics, Acrobatics, or Performance roll as if it didn't happen.

Remove ads