D&D (2024) 48 Subclasses: 4 per Class

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
Early Video said:
After that you're going to see a series of Unearthed Arcanas that also unveil new versions of subclasses, as well as some brand new subclasses for those classes. The total number of subclasses when all is said and done: 48.
Most Recent Video said:
Before we get there we're focusing on the core character options of the game, especially character classes, which means we also have in the end there will be a total of 48 subclasses that will appear in this play test process, four for each of the game's 12 classes.

timestamped:

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I think the first video of this new set that just came out (or at least one of them) had Jeremy say specifically and confirm that the 48 subclasses would be 4 subclasses per class.
You misunderstood. We know it was brought up in the current video, were were discussing the first UA and videos (months ago) when they also talked about the 48 subclasses. The question was whether our not the also confirmed 4 subclasses for each class back then. Now that I have reflected on it, I am 99% sure that they only mentioned 48 subclasses and I just assumed 4 per class because there are 12 classes in the '14 PHB.

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
Just to be clear, no one was doubting this. The question was whether or not they mentioned 4 subclasses per class months ago (when they original mentioned the 48 subclasses).
Yep, just added the original video. People had been half-quoting it for a while now, so I thought I'd just pull both quotes directly.

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
Worth noting, I think: it feels like they're being careful to say 48 classes will appear in this playtest process, which is not to necessarily say that is the number of classes that will be in the new PHB. There were 40 subclasses available in the original PHB.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Sees like too many to me. 4 classes, 4 subclass, 16 total seems good to me
Nha, you got it all wrong:

3 classes; Warrior, Mage, Rogue

4 Specializations each:

Warrior: Slayer, Defender, Ranger, Cavalier (beast masters and unarmed/unarmored figthing are left to figthing styles)
Mage: Healer, Elementalist, Necromancer, Conjurer
Rogue: Thief, Bard, Shadow, Explorer

I think that covers a good part of the more commons fantasy tropes.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Just to be clear, no one was doubting this. The question was whether or not they mentioned 4 subclasses per class months ago (when they original mentioned the 48 subclasses).
Oh, then I misunderstood.

I can concur that as far as I could remember, there was no mention in the original videos that the 48 were split into 12 groups of 4. It was only this latest one that Jeremy confirmed it.

Remove ads