4E Alternity?

tyrlaan

Explorer
Just curious if anyone out there is taking a stab at 4e-izing Alternity. For some reason I have this vague memory (hallucination?) that someone mentioned 4e versions of the races were out there...

masshysteria

Explorer
I haven't heard of one, but I wouldn't doubt there's something out there.

The races should be pretty easy to convert, but I don't know where you go with the classes. As the game was skill based, a 4e at-will/encounter/daily seems... problematic.

tyrlaan

Explorer
Yeah, probably not the easiest :)

Though initial thoughts would be to leverage the concept of skill powers and derive all the powers off skills intead of classes.

arscott

First Post
Well, Here's a start:
Races
Fraal[Sblock]Ability Scores: +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Normal

Languages: Mindspeak
Skill Bonuses: +2 Culture, +2 Mindwalking, +2 Science
Psionic Heritage: You gain a bonus psionic feat at 1st level. You must meet the feat's prerequisites
Resilient Mind: You gain a +5 raical bonus to saving throws against telepathy effects[/sblock]Mechalus[Sblock]Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Intelligence

Languages: Alereen, Terran
Skill Bonuses: +2 Computers, +2 Endurance, +2 Pilot
Cyber Tolerance: The healing surge cost of your installed cyberware is reduced by 1.
Overclock: You can use overclock as an encounter power

Overclock Mechalus Racial Power
You send your bio-circuits into overdrive, but your impressive achievement comes at a cost
Encounter
No Action Personal
Trigger:
You fail an attack roll, a saving throw, a skill check, or an ability check
Effect: lose a number of hit points equal to the amount by which you failed, plus one-half your level. Your roll becomes a success[/sblock]Sesheyan[sblock]Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom
Speed: 6 squares, Fly 6
Vision: Darkvision

Languages: Sheya, Terran
Skill Bonuses: +2 Acrobatics, +2 Perception, +2 Survival
Light Sensitivity: A Sesheyan in bright light takes a -1 penalty to all attack rolls and skill checks, and grants combat advantage.[/sblock]T'sa[sblock]Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence
Speed: 7 squares

Languages: Terran, T'san
Skill Bonuses: +2 Diplomacy, +2 Engineering, +2 Manipulation
Tough Hide: You gain a +1 bonus to Armor Class
Quick Reaction: You gain a +2 racial bonus to initiative checks.
Enduring Optimism: You gain a +1 racial bonus to will defense.[/sblock]Weren[sblock]Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Constitution

Languages: Terran, Weren
Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Intimidate, +2 Stealth
Durability: You gain bonus hit points equal to 5 plus half your level.
Chameleon Fur: You gain a +1 racial bonus to reflex.
Vicious Claws: You gain unarmed combat proficiency, and your unarmed attack damage is 1d8
Sudden Swipe: You can use sudden swipe as an encounter power
Primitive: Your starting skills and proficiencies are limited by your background. See the individual class descriptions for details.

Sudden Swipe Weren Racial Power
The swipe of your sharp claw catches an enemy by surprise.
Encounter • Weapon
Minor Action Melee
Target: One Creature
Special: You must attack with your unarmed strike
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Strength Modifier damage.[/sblock]

Classes
Combat Spec[Sblock]Armor Proficiency: Medium
Weapon Proficiency: Melee, Modern Ranged, Unarmed
Systems Proficiency: Defenses, Weapons
Bonus To Defense: +1 Fortitude, +1 Reflex

Hit Points at 1st Level: 15 + Constitution Score
Hit Points per Level Gained: 6
Healing Surges per Day: 8 + Constitution Modifier

Trained Skills: 3 class skills, 1 unrestricted skill
Class Skills: Athletics, Endurance, Intimidate, Perception, Survival

Primitive Combat Specs: Lose modern ranged weapons proficiency and all systems proficiencies. Gain primitive ranged weapons proficiency.

Class Features: Warrior's Mark, Weapon Mastery

Warrior's Mark: When attacking, you can choose to mark one target of your attack until the end of your next turn.

Weapon Mastery: Choose a weapon group. Attacks using weapons from that group gain +1 to hit and +2 to damage. This bonus increases to +4 at 11th level, and +6 at 21st.[/sblock]Diplomat[sblock]Armor Proficiency: Cloth only
Weapon Proficiency: Modern Pistols
Systems Proficiency: Communications, any one other
Bonus To Defense: +1 Fortitude, +1 Will

Hit Points at 1st Level: 10 + Constitution Score
Hit Points per Level Gained: 4
Healing Surges per Day: 6 + Constitution Modifier

Trained Skills: 2 class skills, 4 unrestricted skill
Class Skills: Bluff, Business, Culture, Diplomacy, Insight

Primitive Diplomats: Lose modern pistols proficiency and all systems proficiencies. Pilot is not considered a class skill for you.

Class Features: Affinity, Invoke Contact

Affinity: Choose a second class. You are considered a member of that class for the purpose of meeting prerequisites

Invoke Contact: One per day, you can call upon a contact to perform some favor. You begin with the "I know an expert" and "I'm on the list" powers. You can gain more invoke contact powers with feats, but you can only use one such power per day.

I Know an Expert Diplomat Feature
Though you and your companions are puzzled by a question, you're sure your knowledgeable friend can sort it out
Daily
Invoke Contact:
You can only use one invoke contact power per day.
Effect: You contact an expert, who makes a knowledge check for you. The expert's knowledge skill bonus is 5 plus half your level plus your charisma modifier
Special: The check must be one where you could conceivably contact an expert, and you must have some means of communication and devote the necessary time to make contact.

I'm on the List Diplomat Feature
You don't need an invitation, you just need to know the right people.
Daily
Invoke Contact:
You can only use one invoke contact power per day.
Effect: You (and guests) are admitted to an exclusive gathering or event to which you were not otherwise invited.
Special: This power only provides benefit where reputation and social standing might be of some use. You could use this power to attend the planetary governor's ball or talk your way into a private high-stakes card tournament, but not to participate in an intelligence briefing or talk your way into a mob's warehouse.[/sblock]Free Agent[sblock]Armor Proficiency: Light
Weapon Proficiency: Knife, Modern Pistols, Unarmed
Systems Proficiency: Helm, Sensors
Bonus To Defense: +1 Fortitude, +1 Reflex, +1 Will

Hit Points at 1st Level: 12 + Constitution Score
Hit Points per Level Gained: 5
Healing Surges per Day: 7 + Constitution Modifier

Trained Skills: 4 class skills, 6 unrestricted skill
Class Skills: Acrobatics, Bluff, Insight, Manipulation, Perception, Pilot, Stealth, Streetwise, Survival

Primitive Free Agents: Lose modern pistols proficiency and all systems proficiencies. Gain primitive ranged weapons proficiency. Pilot is not considered a class skill for you.

Class Features: Lucky, Wing it

Lucky: You can spend an action point to re-roll a failed attack roll, skill check, ability check, or saving throw. You gain a +2 bonus to the new roll, but must take the new result even if it is worse than the original.

Wing it: One per day, you can treat an untrained skill as trained, or use an at-will or encounter power you qualify for but do not possess.[/sblock]Tech Op[sblock]Armor Proficiency: Light
Weapon Proficiency: Modern Ranged
Systems Proficiency: All
Bonus To Defense: +1 Reflex, +1 Will

Hit Points at 1st Level: 12 + Constitution Score
Hit Points per Level Gained: 5
Healing Surges per Day: 6 + Constitution Modifier

Trained Skills: 4 class skills, 3 unrestricted skill
Class Skills: Computers, Engineering, Manipulation, Medicine, Perception, Pilot, Science

Primitive Tech Ops: Lose modern ranged proficiency. Gain primitive ranged weapons proficiency. Only Proficient with one system of your choice. Only trained in 2 class skills and 2 unrestricted skills.

Class Features: Bonus Feat, Skill Mastery

Bonus Feat: At 1st level, you gain one additional Tech Op feat or Specilization feat for a Tech Op class skill.

Skill Mastery: Choose one skill. When making checks with this skill, you can always take 10, regardless of the circumstances.[/sblock]

Skill List[sblock]
Code:
Acrobatics	DEX
Athletics	STR
Bluff		CHA
Business	INT
Computers	INT
Culture		WIS
Diplomacy	CHA
Endurance	CON
Engineering	INT
Insight		WIS
Intimidate	CHA
Manipulation	DEX
Medicine	INT
Mindwalking	WIS
Perception	WIS
Pilot		DEX
Stealth		DEX
Streetwise	CHA
Science		INT
Survival	CON
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Can we get a 2nd edition of Alternity before we get a 4th. ;)

I'd much rather see an updated set up Alternity rules, than see Alternity setting forced into DND rules.

Sadrik

First Post

I'd much rather see an updated set up Alternity rules, than see Alternity setting forced into DND rules.

100% agreed, alternity had some great concepts rules wise that I really enjoyed. Not to mention the star*drive setting kicked major ass.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
Awww what's wrong with using 4e to simulate a new Alternity edition. I think it would work great, especially if they went with a direction of characters getting powers that are just reliant on their professions. If they created a set of powers that are Professionless, like based around technology or guns or vehicles or even generic tactics that just about anybody would be able to learn and use, then they have their more profession specific talents as well.

What was listed above could be a great base.

Why not also set it up where you can get generic talents and then your professions could have talents that enhance the generic talents, so anybody could get, oh, idk, a Multifire Shot talent with a gun, but the Solder then has a talent that makes Multifire Shot better. IDK, but it could maybe work.

I'm not a game designer by choice, i just come up with wacky ideas from time to time that might make sense, but maybe they don't, but who knows. /shrug

arscott

First Post
I feel like 4e's strengths cover alternity's biggest weaknesses: unclear and unnessesarily complicated rules. A game that combines the clarity of 4e's skill and power structure, and unified math, with the flexible, skill emphasizing spirit of alternity is a game worth playing.

Looking at what I wrote above, I think that sticking with D&D's rapidly advancing hit points is probably not in keeping with the spirit of alternity. I have a few ideas in mind to replicate the stun/wound/mortal system in a 4e framework, and I'll try to post something here when I get back from my new years trip in a week or so.

Stormonu

Legend

It lives as the Serenity/Battlestar Galatica system. A bit simplified and removed the d20 from rolls. A lot of stuff translates directly from Alternity to the Serenity system with little conversion. The people who made the Serenity rule system were involved in/worked at TSR at the time Alternity was in production.

I used the Serenity rules to replace the Alternity Gamma World rules (keeping mutations and most of the gear from the Alternity system), and it worked fairly well.

Remove ads