4e Heroic Souls (FULL/CLOSED - accepting alts)

Atanatotatos

First Post
[sblock=graf]hey graf, recently i had this idea about Heian's "relic" (the padlock). Since the idea of the Shield has stayed in my mind by now, i was thinking Heian could have some sort of "growing" magic item, in this case, a shield. Nothing uber. Simply, i was thinking that if/when you'd be thinking of placing a magic item for Heian, instead of him finding one, his padlock could change to an actual shield (of roughly the same shape, i'd say, since it looks appropriate more or less), and, detracting from Heian's magic items/lvl, it could periodically grow more powerful, instead of him getting a new one. I know shields are more limited in power now than back in 3e, but... Seems pretty fitting thematically... what do you say?[/sblock]

Graf

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]I like it. It's a good idea. I'll see if I can "work" it into something soon.

Actually, that brings up a question... Neeloo... I have an idea or two for her character, but I wanted to see if you had anything like a strong preference about Neeloo visa vie your own character development...[/sblock]

Atanatotatos

First Post
[sblock=graf]uhmm... yes I was thinking about it too. well, i had two ideas in mind:
1- Neeloo stays as an Npc and disappears/is kidnapped/leaves abruptly/awakens/falls in a mysterious coma/whatever and becomes an obvious plot hook for future development.
2- I noticed when the fungoid shaman "exploded" Heian's shield protected "especially Eldan". Is that semi-random from you or you had something in mind. Since Eldan's heroic soul was apparently a general or king or marshal of some sort, i give it some thought, though without really fleshing out anything. That's what I tried to represent in Heian's last flashback (the chain coming from another room meaning another tie in the soul's legacy, that is, the Fae Queen).

I haven't really thought much about the consequences of these, but I'd like to hear what you're thinking about the matter.[/sblock]

Graf

Explorer
Are you thinking in recruiting new player to take silvi and neelo?.

Weeeeeellllllll....
Honestly? I don't think it's very practical. I'd love it if someone were interested, but while I've picked up a complement or two about the game nobody's seems to interested in playing.

I think they're both really good characters, but I don't think, historically, people have been too interested in playing other people's characters.

Or playing in games that require a lot of rp involvement (which is a broader problem with Heroic Souls... most people don't like long winded games....)

[sblock=graf]uhmm... yes I was thinking about it too. well, i had two ideas in mind:
1- Neeloo stays as an Npc and disappears/is kidnapped/leaves abruptly/awakens/falls in a mysterious coma/whatever and becomes an obvious plot hook for future development.
2- I noticed when the fungoid shaman "exploded" Heian's shield protected "especially Eldan". Is that semi-random from you or you had something in mind. Since Eldan's heroic soul was apparently a general or king or marshal of some sort, i give it some thought, though without really fleshing out anything. That's what I tried to represent in Heian's last flashback (the chain coming from another room meaning another tie in the soul's legacy, that is, the Fae Queen).

I haven't really thought much about the consequences of these, but I'd like to hear what you're thinking about the matter.[/sblock]

Heian's shield protected eldan because,
1. You'd marked the shaman
2. You'd engaged so the mark was maintained
3. I decided the "death burst" was an attack by the Shaman
4. He rolled a 14 vs Eldan's fort, which would have hit, if I hadn't applied the divine challenge (in retrospect I shouldn't have, because the "attack included Heian).

But you were pulverized by the death blast, and it was more narritively interesting to say "Heian kills it, and absorbs the attack, protecting his allies" than "Heian takes lots of damage because the DM rolled well".

I have -no- ulterior motive... generally speaking I am somewhat leery of placing any one pc over another. It's OK if people want to do that, in my only non EnWorld game I play somebody's servant, but that was a choice that I made.
I wouldn't push that upon someone.

Eldan is a "leader type" and he has a follower.

Personally I am leaning, after some thought, toward 1 more than 2.

[d]--[/d]
Regarding new players
1. I am happy to have new people
2. I have litterally no free time --> personal stuff
3. So I'm not recuirting.
---If somebody comes by and is like "I'd like to play" I'd love to have somebody take over (especially Silvi, since she has a lot of very clear plot links that would be lost, Neeloo and Heian overlap enough that any "Neeloo plot" can be turned into a "Heian plot".)

I want to maintain my games (this one and the closed eye) during this time of personal issues; I'm already "retrenching" and committing to post 3 times a week (which is pretty low honestly... it's borderline "dead game").

I don't think it's smart to try to push that up.

Voda Vosa

First Post
I understand.

Speaking of the game:
I was hoping that the usage of the spells would render Quinn some memories. I didn't want to state just what he remembers, since what I loved from the game itself was finding something new about the PC each time. In Quinn's mind, casting spells is just something he can do, but he has no knowledge of the source or methodology behind spells, their creation and proper chanting. He just reads and follows the spells instruction. I would venture to say that there were many opportunities for Quinn to have a flashback, but it did not happened. So I have one questions: This is because it wasn't mean to happen at all, and Quinn will have his flashbacks eventually; or is just your lack of time?
I'm cool with any of the two options, as I can understand both, it's just the little bug of curiosity.

Graf

Explorer
Generally I see flashbacks as being the method by which you build your character...

Ata has done a few flashbacks recently, one of them, defeat by the demon, I jumped on. The other, the winter king, I wasn't able to process into something meaningful.

I -do- do things with the flashbacks, try to provide information, but it's somewhat scattershot. I don't want to distract from the "modern action" too much.

[d]--[/d]
> So I have one questions: This is because it wasn't mean to happen at
> all, and Quinn will have his flashbacks eventually; or is just your lack of time?
Lack of time is big deal for me right now. I'm focused on getting regular posts out the door in the time that I have.

I'm basically not fulfilling my judging responsibilities either for L4W; i'd hoped to have time to change that today, but it's not happening.

There is no "overarching plot" that you are supposed to follow/discover. There is -some- historical backstory, but it's not the only focus of the game.

It's not like I have 15 flashbacks carefully prepared. It's designed (or intended) to be dynamic. Collective rapid storytelling. (in principle)

I also, honestly, struggle with PC disappearance. When players disappear those links stop being relevant. Obviously there are NPCs, other heroic souls, etc. but those links aren't really coming to the fore yet; the game isn't about NPC heroic souls.

I didn't want to throw out stuff that it would be very difficult for you to act on. Like if there's an NPC heroic soul thousands of miles away, do I really want to foreshadow that? In Pbp it could be a years before you see that person.

>I didn't want to state just what he remembers, since what I
> loved from the game itself was finding something new about
> the PC each time.
> I would venture to say that there were many opportunities for
> Quinn to have a flashback, but it did not happened.
It was easier for me to do this when I had more direct hooks to the characters, more PCs, more NPCs, floating around.

You're out in the wilderness now, you have demonic fungi men, blood drained corpses, potentially open portals, etc. etc.

I was concerned a bit about "overload".
Dumping too much info.

And my time issues.

Lets think about it this week and see if we have any opportunities to do some cool flashbacking.

Graf

Explorer
I may actually have a new player... somebody I know from offline. I talked to my old group maybe a year ago and emailed me to say he was interested/had time now.

If it's OK with you guys I'll work him in in the next week or two.

[sblock=He wants to play a...]...swordmage. Which wasn't an option I provided to the group originally. I hope people don't feel disadvantaged...

He'll probably be a HS who is commonly genasi but has been incarnated as a human.[/sblock]

Remove ads