5E: Converting Monsters from White Dwarf Magazine for Fifth Edition

Cleon

Legend
ok, so maybe make it CHA then after all for a different setting. And make the save bonuses WIS and CHA (and drop INT)

I went for INT and WIS as it already had a decent Charisma bonus and that ability doesn't crop up as often for saving throws compared to Intelligence (illusions) and Wisdom (enchantments).

It made it fairly balanced over the mental stats. With INT and WIS proficiency the saves are INT +3, WIS +2, CHA +2, with WIS and CHA they'd be INT +1, WIS +2, CHA +4.

Hmm, how about changing tact and making it DEX and WIS for DEX –1, WIS +2?

agree with line of sight admendment

Updating the Chthon.

Cleon

Legend
ok, so maybe make it CHA then after all for a different setting. And make the save bonuses WIS and CHA (and drop INT) - agree with line of sight admendment

Come to think of it, does attempting to establish control over beasts and plants require an action of some kind? I forgot to discuss that.

The wording suggests it's a free and automatic risk, like the Petrifying Gaze of a Basilisk. I'm fine with that, but thought it best to check.

Oh, and I was going to add "A target that successfully saves is immune to this chthon's control attempts for the next 24 hours" but forgot.

Updating the Chthon.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Yes. I initially made it an action, but concede it makes it quite limiting in some way. What happens if the Chthon is caught off guard and it can only control one extra creature a turn etc. I think more playable as a trait.

Maybe just leaving as INT and WIS for saves then. making a DEX penalty is intriguing though.

We could have plant growth as a lair/lair action?

Cleon

Legend
Yes. I initially made it an action, but concede it makes it quite limiting in some way. What happens if the Chthon is caught off guard and it can only control one extra creature a turn etc. I think more playable as a trait.

Seems we're agreed.

Maybe just leaving as INT and WIS for saves then. making a DEX penalty is intriguing though.

It's got such a low Dexterity that even with its +2 proficiency bonus its DEX save is negative.

Come to think of it, with DEX save proficiency it has the same saving throw as an Earth Elemental, which feels very appropriate somehow.

Now I'm leaning towards DEX, WIS save proficiency over INT, WIS.

We could have plant growth as a lair/lair action?

I'd be more inclined to make it an Action that's, I don't know 1/Long Rest or 1/week or something.

More to the point, I fancied a more dynamic plant manipulation abilities that can create vegetative barriers or attacks on the fly.

Not necessarily damaging attacks, it could just cause branches/vines/roots to trip or entangle a target.

Nothing very powerful, but something that makes the battlefield more interesting.

Cleon

Legend
I've decided to increase the maximum range of the Chthon's control.

A mile isn't a big enough area to sustain a decent sized retinue.

For example, a mountain lion's territory is usually in the range of 50 to 400 square miles while a wolf usually needs 20+ square miles. An elephant or Ankylosaurus presumably needs even more land to feed its multiton body.

A 1 mile radius probably wouldn't have enough prey in it to feed a single wolf let alone a pack of them. Once they start starving their instinct to survive will drive them to leave the area to find food since the Chthon's control cannot force unnatural behaviour.

With such a small area a Chthon would just have foxes and rabbits as its bodyguards unless it was lucky enough to live near an isolated waterhole or the like that'd act as a magnet for prey.

I'll up the range by a magnitude and make it 10 miles.

Updating the Chthon.

Cleon

Legend
Okay, getting back to the "Plant Protection" idea for the Chthon.

I'm thinking of giving it a couple of Action options, one that's active (i.e. an attack that entangles or trips) and one passive (i.e. a barrier that blocks travel or makes terrain difficult).

Remove ads