D&D 5E 5E Core Classes - According to Enworld

This Poll asked what classes should be core in 5E. The results fall into interesting categories

90%+: Fighter, Wizard, Cleric, Rogue
50%+: Ranger, Paladin, Druid, Bard
24%+: Barbarian, Monk, Sorcerer, Warlord, Warlock
9%+: Assassin, Shaman, Swordmage
0%+: Ardent, Artificer, Battlemind, Invoker, Psion, Runepriest, Seeker, Vampire, Warden

Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, and Rogue
These are the no brainer, must have classes. If you are doing DnD, these four have got to be in place.

The interesting thing is that most of the other classes can be covered by just these four archtypes. About the only ones that can't do this deal with Psionic Classes (as it's a completely different power source) and Vampire (which is a monster, not a class)

Paladin - Cleric / Fighter
Druid - Nature diety Cleric
Ranger - Fighter / Rogue with nature Role Playing elements
Bard - Rogue / Wizard with performances (Rock On)
Barbarian - Fighter with RP elements
Monk - Fighter / Rogue with RP elements
Assassin - Rogue with RP elements
Swordmage - Fighter / Wizard
etc.

Incenjucar

Legend
Core is a bit of a loaded term. 4E made everything core, so the term became meaningless. In 3E and prior, the term meant "appears in the PHB1". Significant difference.

Personally, I didn't participate in the poll, because it lacks options that should be in the game, but which have not already been added, so it's more a "What reruns do we want?" poll.

Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, and Rogue
These are the no brainer, must have classes. If you are doing DnD, these four have got to be in place.

The interesting thing is that most of the other classes can be covered by just these four archtypes.

You mean roles, do you not? :p

--

It's worth noting that the winners are the AD&D 2E class list.

The interesting thing is that most of the other classes can be covered by just these four archtypes. About the only ones that can't do this deal with Psionic Classes (as it's a completely different power source) and Vampire (which is a monster, not a class)

Paladin - Cleric / Fighter
Druid - Nature diety Cleric
Ranger - Fighter / Rogue with nature Role Playing elements
Bard - Rogue / Wizard with performances (Rock On)
Barbarian - Fighter with RP elements
Monk - Fighter / Rogue with RP elements
Assassin - Rogue with RP elements
Swordmage - Fighter / Wizard
etc.

Don't confuse similar roles with similar mechanics. For example, though a Bard may seem like a rogue or wizard in many aspects, I think that the method of performance is distinctly different in how it works. And I've never seen a game where a low level Fighter can decide to just give up weapons and armor and play like a Monk without getting himself killed.

The reason people like the different classes is because they are so distinct. If they were just true hybrids like you suggest, I think you would see a lot less interest in them.

Don't confuse similar roles with similar mechanics. For example, though a Bard may seem like a rogue or wizard in many aspects, I think that the method of performance is distinctly different in how it works. And I've never seen a game where a low level Fighter can decide to just give up weapons and armor and play like a Monk without getting himself killed.

The reason people like the different classes is because they are so distinct. If they were just true hybrids like you suggest, I think you would see a lot less interest in them.

I agree with this actually. The Paladin is way more then a hybrid fighter/cleric. I was just pointing out the flexibility of the four big classes to emulate the other classes.

Remove ads