D&D 5E 5e/Next Cosmology

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Personally, I only paid much attention to the Great Wheel when I was running Planescape. Good fun, there, but I don't really want it for my other campaigns.

I think that tools and advice on making a cosmology are far more important than any default cosmology that I'm likely to ignore. New DMs will need to know more about how to design a campaign where X or Y is common or uncommon than about where Bytopia fits on the alignment wheel. While I realize that tic-tac-toe alignments are going to be "default", I don't plan on using them much, myself, so the Great Wheel kinda falls apart, for me.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Few thoughts:

• The idea of a proper planar toolkit is neat. I like toolkits.
  • I like the Great Wheel (huge PS fan). I also like 4e's cosmology. I use bits and pieces from both in my game.
  • In general, I find 4e's cosmos better as an attachment to a normal fantasy campaign, but the Great Wheel as more interesting as it's own thing.
  • It's much easier to explain the 4e cosmology bits to my players.
  • I miss some of the metaphysical aspects of the Great Wheel.

Steely_Dan

First Post
One thing I absolutely hated about Planescape was the half-assed cockney rhyming slang ripped off to use in Sigil.

It's not cockney rhyming slang (it's just slang), cockney rhyming slang is phrases such as "apples and pears" (stairs), "me old China" (plate = mate), "Sherman" (tank = yank) etc.

Steely_Dan

First Post
An' in all this, the Ethereal - she just winked out of existence. No one knows where she's gone or what 'appened to 'er. Tha' ghosts that used to haunt it 'ave all moved on to the Shadowfell and the rest seem to 'ave been dropped into the Astral, all acting like there never was an Ethereal at all.

Ha, very cool, but the Ethereal is in the 4th Ed cosmology (and 5th).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases