D&D 5E 5e should develop more Defender role mechanics

Voadam

Legend
I know and play with people in different groups who enjoy playing protectors as a character concept.

I have enjoyed playing a tough front line defender role in 4e.

Voadam

Legend
was the defender also a good damage dealer?
My sword mage was an OK but definitely not striker damage dealer. Even getting in the occasional threatened strikes when people did not target me it did not feel like it came close to matching the normal output of the rogue or warlock in the party next to him. When I had played a 4e ranger it felt a lot more on the dangerous damage dealer end.

Most everybody is a decent damage dealer generally in D&D. Playing a healer warlord who granted other people attacks a lot I felt I was a decent enough armored melee guy with a sword in a three person party.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I know of few people who would agree with you.
I know quite a few who like to feel the hero and the defender/protector is very much that... and the 4e fighters mark was as much punishing those who attack your ally.

4e fighters are also not a passive shield standing in a doorway

Last edited:

My experience playing my Cavalier with Shield Master and Sentiel was that I could do the mechanical sticky part of things pretty well. Sure I would have been more sticky if I wasn't limited to one reaction, but I didn't find it to much of an issue.

No the issue was that I just wasn't tough enough and my armour class just wasn't high enough to feel like a 4e Defender. Getting everyone to focus on the one character is only really a great strategy if that character's defences are high enough. Otherwise you're better off spreading the damage around.

Remove ads