D&D 5E 5e Sorcerer versus Wizard, which is better?

DM-Rocco

Explorer
The DM running our game is letting everyone remake their characters when we get to 10th level, which should be in the next month.

Currently, I am running Warlock 2/Sorcerer 6. I don't know how long this campaign will go, but I love playing higher-level spell casters to play with the higher level spells, so I am going to for sure drop the Warlock levels and either go 10 Sorcerer or 10 Wizard. Sure, I can do more damage overall with the 2 Warlock, but I want access to the higher level spells as soon as possible and I've had my fun abusing the 2 Warlock.

So, in your opinion, which is better for higher-level play, Wizard or Sorcerer?

If you want to get into sub-classes, that is fine.

Sorcerer gets the metamagic feats that 5e stole from the Wizard, so they have that going for them.

Wizard, basically is a sorcerer without metamagic feats, but the ability to have access to a wider variety of spells not only usable at any one time, but just access to a wider list of spells in general.

Sure, you can then get into sub-classes, which should be taken into consideration of course, but what are everyone's thoughts on which is better and why just a straight up cast or multiclass that won't impact when you get higher level spells.

FYI, as far as sub-classes, I am thinking Lore master or School of Divination for WIzard, and Draconic or Shadow for Sorcerer, but I do love fun builds, so make suggestions please. The goal for me is having fun with higher-level spells.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
Personally I think the wizard edges out the sorcerer. But this is due to personal preference of valuing versatility, and utility so highly in my spell casters. A wizard can prepare more spells than a sorcerer knows meaning they always have access to more options! With the wizard you are free to take a good mix of in combat and out of combat spells, and you don't have to feel bad about having a few sub-optimal personal choice spells. There are some spells that are very situational but strong in those situations where they feel perfect on the wizard.

But on the other hand the sorcerer does have access to raw power. If you build cleverly around your metamagic choices your spells go further than the wizard's can. At low levels twinning Chromatic Orb can erase two enemies. At higher levels twinning Banishment or Haste is truly bonkers if you can keep your concentration on them for an entire encounter. You'll rely on a select few tricks but they are damn good tricks. And that's mostly why I like playing a sorcerer for one shot adventures.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
See, you both make valid observations. I do like me some spell options, currently, I do have ritual caster feat for the sorcerer because I like having options. I know I can do some fun stuff with the sorcerer and I like the metamagic, but I find that the spells like Vampiric touch that I want to twin aren't on his spell list.

The meta magic is a strong, very strong, argument for the sorcerer, if I can find the right combination of spells to make me happy. The wizard though can have some good options too, like portent for the divinity arc or being able to cast any one spell from any spell list for the lore master, or even the lore masters ability to make any energy type into another (although I don't think monsters have weakness to certain elements like they did in past editions). Anyway, keep the feedback rolling please.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It really depends on your style preferences, but for me it's Wizard all the way. Nobody else gets the kind of access to spells that they do. Nobody else is finding spells and putting them in their spellbook as treasure, casting as many rituals, and manipulating reality in such unique and varied ways. I mean, you can make a fine blaster with a Sorcerer, but it's unlikely you will control battlefields and make everyone else better on and off the battlefield as well as you could as a wizard.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
But Banishment comes with a built-in twinning effect. Cast it at a higher slot and it twins.
Huh, for some reason I thought that Banishment didn't allow upcasting. Still, being able to save on higher level slots is useful as I find that typically upcast spells are a tad weaker than spells that are natively at that level.

For example at 5th level you get Wall of Force which is a considerably more powerful control spell. And I'm now just remembering that sorcerers don't even get Wall of Force so I'm doubling down on my opinion. Wizards are awesome and sorcerers are the pale imitation.

Last edited:

Remove ads