• 6. Discovery: seeking out hidden things, the lure of the unknown

Votes: 28 57.1%
  • 7. Expression: letting out your creative side

Votes: 35 71.4%
  • 8. Submission: losing yourself in the game to switch off the world

Votes: 16 32.7%

akr71

Hero
You forgot #9. Food & drinks! Our game nights used to be BYOB and a couple bowls of chips or popcorn. My wife & I brought brie one night and that was a game changer. One of our players said "You opened my eyes to a whole new world - I thought cheese was cheese."

Lately it has stepped up again, with home baked cookies, cakes and all kinds of snacks. That could be because we are all so happy to be playing face to face again.

Back to the poll - as a player # 4, 5, 6, as a DM add in #1, 3, 7

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
“What do you find fun?

8. Submission”

Um.....

Marv the Masochistic Monk: “Hurt me, hurt me!l

Sam the Sadistic Assassin: “....No.”

Welcome to 50 Shades of Chromatic Dragons.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Well I can predict the following mathematically: With Number of people participating in this survey (n -> big number) => ((all the bars) -> 100%) in an almost even manner, except 8. whereas I think the expression "submission" has a negative co-notation for some, so it is not selected that frequently.
I should have put a limit on the number if choices :)

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Well I can predict the following mathematically: With Number of people participating in this survey (n -> big number) => ((all the bars) -> 100%) in an almost even manner, except 8. whereas I think the expression "submission" has a negative co-notation for some, so it is not selected that frequently.

Someone pointed out that when Extra Credits (a VG design video series) covered the 8 kinds of fun, they chose to refer to #8 as "abnegation" rather than "submission" precisely because of that negative connotation. Basically, the idea is the fun you get from shutting your brain off and going with the flow. In VG RPG terms this is all about grinding. The closest tabletop RPGs come to this is in the "beer and pretzels" play; ie kick-down-the-door, kill-the-monsters, take-the-loot, lather-rinse-repeat style of play.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
BTW I went 3, 5, 7. I'm actually kind of shocker to see Narrative so high; in a place as grognardy as ENWorld I'd have expected to see fewer people in support of it.

Tallifer

Hero
BTW I went 3, 5, 7. I'm actually kind of shocker to see Narrative so high; in a place as grognardy as ENWorld I'd have expected to see fewer people in support of it.

Narrative can also be what emerges from spontaneous exploration. Players' journals and art can record that story. In fact, those narratives are far more memorable than any script I have encountered.

Remove ads