• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A "character driven" FR campaign.

Ion

Explorer
Voadam said:
an exalted feat called Nymph's kiss that has a prereq of having been loved by a nymph.

I'm sort of thinking Brother Shatterstone had his fingures on the "Nymph" nieche first, and I think there are a lot of other cool aspects to your character that could be focused on and explored first. So I'm going to have to say I'd rather you didn't to the Nymph's kiss idea.

Ferrix

Explorer
I'm working between two concepts:

A pistol wielding swashbuckler type, happy with the ladies.

A to tough for his own good wrestler.

What with the rest of the crew geared towards the romantic, the swashbuckler type seems the most likely.

Voadam

Legend
Ion said:
I'm sort of thinking Brother Shatterstone had his fingures on the "Nymph" nieche first, and I think there are a lot of other cool aspects to your character that could be focused on and explored first. So I'm going to have to say I'd rather you didn't to the Nymph's kiss idea.

No sweat.

Blindfighting fits well as well. It was his first 2e nonweapon proficiency, and connected to his mercenary group the Dokkalfar (dark elves) who had a rep as good at night fighting. And it has come in handy against a couple of foes who went invisible repeatedly (a hag sorceress, a wight assassin).

Voadam

Legend
Ferrix said:
I'm working between two concepts:

A pistol wielding swashbuckler type, happy with the ladies.

A to tough for his own good wrestler.

What with the rest of the crew geared towards the romantic, the swashbuckler type seems the most likely.

While Voadam is a lusty guy and has had romantic relationships, I consider that as simply flavor for his characterization and interactions. More important is that he is an inquisitive good guy mercenary. He learns things, fights evil (sometimes working with one evil against another), is greedy, pursues power, and gets involved in things.

I don't think the whole story thrust needs to be romantic so I'd say go with whichever concept is more appealing to you. A tough brawler would work fine I'm sure. My taste preference would be for the wrestler because I don't really care for guns in D&D (despite their being an established Realms and Spelljammer element).

Tactically so far we have a wizard, a fey bard with fewer HD, a rogue, and a beauty paladin. Either a ranged swashbuckler or a wrestler could fit in fine.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Ferrix, I pretty much prefer the wrestler concept also, for the same reason that Voadam gave (dislike of firearms in D&D) but that's hardly a good reason for telling a fellow player no to a concept so please, as always, run what you want. :D

Ferrix

Explorer
Ah, I was going to make him Lantanese and play up the technology over magic philosophy.

I had originally planned a crossbow wielding marksman, but found that it wasn't really an effective choice compared to other ranged weapons. That and I couldn't find as many interesting 3rd party rules for them.

Ion

Explorer
And here I've always considered the heavy crossbow to be one of the best weapons around. 1d10 19-20/×2 at 120 ft. I mean, you got damage, range, and even a better chance to crit. How do you figure ineffective?

Ferrix

Explorer
Ion said:
And here I've always considered the heavy crossbow to be one of the best weapons around. 1d10 19-20/×2 at 120 ft. I mean, you got damage, range, and even a better chance to crit. How do you figure ineffective?

Reload time of a full round action which provokes an attack of opportunity. Compare it to a composite longbow with a decent strength bonus and it seriously falls behind. Not even considering multiple attacks.

Lord Wyrm

First Post
How's that for a background?

[sblock]

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Nicos Morieth
[B]Class:[/B] Rogue 3/ Warlock 2
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] N/E
[B]Deity:[/B] Mask

[B]Str:[/B] 10 +0 (02p.)     [B]Level:[/B] 5        [B]XP:[/B] 10000
[B]Dex:[/B] 15 +2 (06p.)     [B]BAB:[/B] +3         [B]HP:[/B] 29 (5d6+5)
[B]Con:[/B] 12 +1 (04p.)     [B]Grapple:[/B] +3     [B]Dmg Red:[/B] -
[B]Int:[/B] 16 +3 (10p.)     [B]Speed:[/B] 30'      [B]Spell Res:[/B] -
[B]Wis:[/B] 12 +1 (04p.)     [B]Init:[/B] +2        [B]Spell Save:[/B] -
[B]Cha:[/B] 16 +3 (10p.)     [B]ACP:[/B] -0         [B]Spell Fail:[/B] -

[B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]              10    +4    +0    +2    +0    +0    +1    17
[B]Touch:[/B] 13              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 15

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                      +1    +1          +2
[B]Ref:[/B]                       +3    +2          +5
[B]Will:[/B]                      +4    +1          +5

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Rapier                      +3     1d6     18-20x2
Dagger                      +3     1d4     19-20x2
-thrown                      +5     1d4     19-20x2
Sap                      +3     1d6(sub)     20x2

[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Chessentan, Chondothan, Illuskan, Mulhorandi

[B]Abilities:[/B] Detect Magic, Eldritch Blast 1d6, Evasion, Invocations, Sneak Attack +2d6, Trapfinding, Trapsense +1

[B]Invocations:[/B] (Least) Beguiling Influence [I](+6 to Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate checks for 24 hours)[/I], Devil's Sight [I](May see normally in darkness and magical darkness out to 30ft)[/I]

[B]Feats:[/B] Able Learner, Smooth Talk, Skill Focus(Diplomacy) 

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 84       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 8/4
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Bluff                      8    +3           +11
Climb                      4    +0           +4
Concentration              5    +1           +6
Diplomacy                  8    +3    +9     +20
Disable Device             5    +3           +8
Gather Information         5    +3           +8
Hide                       5    +2           +7
Intimidate                 5    +3    +2     +10
Knowledge(Nobility&Royalty) 4   +3           +7
Knowledge(History)         3    +3           +6
Open Lock                  6    +2           +8
Sense Motive               8    +1    +2     +11
Sleight of Hand            5    +2    +2     +9
Search                     5    +3           +8
Use Magic Device           8    +3           +11

[B]Equipment:                          Cost  Weight[/B]
Ring of Undetectable Alignment      1000gp   0lb
Ring of Protection +1               2000gp   0lb
Studded Leather Armor +1            1175gp   20lb
Spool of Endless Rope               2000gp   1lb
Handy Haversack                     2000gp   5lb
-Bedroll                            1sp   5lb
-Blanket, Winter                    5sp   5lb
-x5 Candles                         5cp   0lb
-Case, Map                          1gp   0.5lb
-Chalk, 5 pieces                    5cp   0lb
-Crowbar                            2gp   5lb
-Flint and Steel                    1gp   0lb
-Grappling Hook                     1gp   4lb
-Ink, 2 vials                       16gp   0lb
-x2 Inkpens                         2sp   0lb
-Mirror, Small Steel                10gp   0.5lb
-Parchment, 10 sheets               2gp   0lb
-Rations, Trail, 4 days             2gp   4lb
-Sealing Wax                        1gp   1lb
-x2 Sewing Needles                  1gp   0lb
-Soap, 1lb                          5sp   1lb
-Spade                              2gp   8lb
-x4 Torches                         4cp   4lb
-x2 Waterskins                      2gp   4lb
-Thieves Tools, MW                  100gp   2lb
-Courtier's Outfit(w/jewelry)       80gp   6lb
-Scholar's Outfit                   5gp   6lb
-x2 Traveler's Outfits              2gp   10lb
Signet Ring                         5gp   0lb
x2 Daggers                          6gp   2lb
Rapier                              20gp   2lb
Sap                                 1gp   2lb
[B]Total Weight:[/B]32lb      [B]Money:[/B] 55pp 9gp 3sp 6cp

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]               33lb   66lb   100lb      200lb     500lb

[B]Age:[/B] 33
[B]Height:[/B] 6'2"
[B]Weight:[/B] 190lb
[B]Eyes:[/B] Blue-Grey
[B]Hair:[/B] Blonde and Grey
[B]Skin:[/B] Caucasion

Appearance:[sblock]
While fairly young Nicos looks much older than he should, appearing to be at least in his mid-fifties, possibly older. His hair is a curious mix of blonde and grey, he wears it short on the sides and long on top, combing it back. He has somewhat wrinkled flesh, especially around the eyes which are a bright blue. He has good posture and likes to dress in darker colors, prefering black and dark blues. He stands at about 6'2" and is well built, although not heavily muscled. He moves very fluidly and typically has a wry smile.

Here's a picture I found
[/sblock]

Background:[sblock]
The son of a Chessentan noble and a woman of the North, Nicos Morieth inherited the physical traits of a Northerner and the mind of a well schooled member of the Chessentan nobility. When Nicos was ten his mother wished to take him and his younger sister to her homelands, the Ten Towns of Icewind Dale. The young Nicos was exceptionally intelligent and advised against the journey as at the time spring was on its way and Nicos predicted orcish aggression with the mountain passes now open. The journey happened regardless, and the family was to summer in the region. Upon arriving at the small home that belonged to Nicos's grandfather the family learned of an orcish incursion. The attack had cut off the family's route back to Chessenta and so they stayed in the region. The family settled into the area and built an exceptional home with their monies brought from Chessenta. After seven months the orcs had been cleared out and the family could of returned home, however once more against Nico's counsel they decided to stay reasoning it too late in the year to make the journey. That winter the orcs once more attacked, apparently not as depleted as initially thought. Several orcs occupied the Morieth estate for nearly a month and during that time Nico witnessed several atrocities. Orphaned, Nico was sent to live with a distant relative in Waterdeep. Nico was schooled in many arts and after the age of twenty two was considered as learned as many sages.

Nicos has travelled across the vast expanse of Faerun several times in the past ten years. He currently has ties to several organizations such as the Shadow Thieves of Amn, which he is a full member of and a possible future guildmaster for Waterdeep, and the Red Wizards of Thay, which he has served a diplomat for in the past. His notable enemies include several members of the Harpers, which he claims is by no action of his own, and a few cells of the Zhentarim, of which he only says something about "a Red Wizard, a horse, and a tower."

Currently Nicos resides in Waterdeep, where he is considered something of a minor noble. He is a member of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors and has aided the city watch in criminal investigations on several occasions. His public persona is of a well cultured member of the political elite. The side that people do not see is hidden deep within Skullport, he actively aids the Shadow Thieves branch in the area and has made himself an enemy of the Xanathar's guild, his skill at diplomacy all that is keeping him from being killed by them. His friends in the area include Halaster Blackcloak, in so far as Halaster not killing him even in his bouts of insanity, several nobles, a few moderately powerful bards, multiple diletantes, and Aleena Paladinstar. The most interesting relationship Nicos has in Waterdeep is with a young female paladin who has constantly tried to expose him as the evil he truly is, however due to his own political manuevering, the Shadow Thieves cover-ups, and some aid from Halaster he has managed to not only to suppress any evidence that might of existed but has also crippled the paladin's public persona. Nicos has an affection for the young paladin and is actively trying to turn her to his ideals.
[/sblock]

Goals:
[sblock]
Nicos's most immeadiate goals are concerning the Xanathar's Guild in Skullport, as one of the Shadow Thieves he is actively trying to destroy the "usurpers". Unfortunately he has no where near the power to get rid of them outright. He has resorted to his old tactic of political manuevering to try and place himself so that he may strike the guild down. If he accomplishes this the guildmaster in Amn has promised to make him guildmaster in Waterdeep.
Nicos is attempting to redeem himself in the eyes of the Harpers, unfortunately this has not gone well so far but Nicos has been having some success and hopes to eventually speak with Khelben Arunsun, Lady Cylyria, and Storm Silverhand so as to clear his name with the three branches of the organization. In addition he is arranging to execute a crushing blow to the Zhentarim in the area of Waterdeep, he is pinpointing the cells with the aid of a Red Wizard and hopes to strike them down within the decade. His other goals to be brought to fruition in that time include finding the lore neccessary to make him immortal and the corruption of the young paladin.
[/sblock]

Personality:
[sblock]
Nicos is very calculating, he is highly intelligent and he knows it. He is cordial at all times, a result of his youth as a noble and the events in Icewind Dale. He is cultured and smooth-tongued and could probably talk anyone into anything given time. He despises melee combat as the last resort of a weak mind, this is not to say he can't engage in it, just he prefers not to. He is utterly ruthless and has no problem burying a stilleto to the hilt in an enemy if neccessary. He is a supreme manipulator and enjoys his position as such. He prefers to plan out events several steps in advance and while not paranoid is rather cautious trying to vary his routines so he can not be ambushed or taken advantage of. A lover of the arts in all their forms he despises a poor performance or bad piece, he views such things as tragedies and crimes. He prefers to surround himself not with normal comforts but things that have context, he would rather sleep on a bare bed that belonged to a famed archmage of the past than a soft mattress within an inn.
[/sblock]

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Lord Wyrm, since Eluvan has already posted that he is playing a paladin and therefore is forbidden by his class from associating with evil characters I would suggest either changing the alignment to be not evil or taking some magic that conceals your evil from a paladin's detect evil power and designing the character so he does not have serious conflicts with the paladin.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads