D&D 5E A different take on Alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oofta

Legend
Can you imagine Lawful Evil Ogres that complain to their friends and spouses about their douchey captain/boss?

I can (and I suspect you can as well).

Can you imagine Lawful Evil Ogres that reflect upon the hierarchy they're ensconced in and see real or perceptual corruption and fantasize about (perhaps even consider if the means become available or the corruption becomes too pernicious) overthrowing it?

Can you imagine Lawful Evil Ogres who punch in predictably every day and follow procedure like a good worker bee...yet one day they screw up procedure and due to the fear of liability/social cost, they do something rash that is entirely out of character (perhaps destabilizing the order of their culture)?

Can you imagine a Lawful Evil Ogre who has ascended his command hierarchy quite a bit, generally still stays inside the expected structure but begins a creeping regime of exploitation and nepotism and soft rule-shirking that becomes more and more insidious (or perhaps just stays the same)?

Like Captain America, I can do this all day. Neither Humans nor Ogres are free from personality discontinuity. We (and surely they because I'm sure they possess similar neurological and endocrine systems) are wired to inhabit discrete states and competing personas/ideals. Consequently, I don't see Lawful Evil doing service to this (in terms of expressing the dynamism of an intelligent social animal dealing with extreme environmental inputs and in terms of reliably creating interesting obstacles for PCs).

Can you make an overly snarky post (I know I can)?

Alignment is one aspect of many. It doesn't take into consideration every aspect of personality and it's not intended to. In a game with HP, AC, ability scores, all of which can be torn apart, can you see how silly this argument is? I know I can.

Can you make an overly snarky post (I know I can)?

Alignment is one aspect of many. It doesn't take into consideration every aspect of personality and it's not intended to. In a game with HP, AC, ability scores, all of which can be torn apart, can you see how silly this argument is? I know I can.

How in the world are you getting snark out of what I posted? Absolutely none was intended and I can't imagine how it would even be delivered.

Is it because of the format? Presumably that is your issue because of the format of your response?

The format was just of the following structure:

* Example of an imagined possibility.

* I expect we both agree that this is a feasible imagined possibility (but I'm not going to assert it outright because I don't know...I can only speak for myself...so I'll just detail my expectation).

* Rinse/repeat.

That format looks to me to be as benign as it gets. I have no idea how one takes offense to that.

Oofta

Legend
So, that sounds less like "justice" and more like "legal repercussions". When we are talking about a system in which chaos/law are separate from evil/good, we cannot assume that enaction of legal process to equate to justice - because those laws can be evil...

Unless, of ocurse, you want to say that sometimes justice is evil. But I'm guessing you may not want to do that.

Well, some laws can be evil. If I were doing a campaign based on Rome for example, slavery was legal. But it's also complicated. Some slaves were sent to mines where they had a life expectancy of 1-2 years. Some were reasonably well treated servants that could win their freedom. The former? LE. The latter? That seems more LN to me.

Or suppose some close-to-utopian future society. This is a future where people are not punished for crimes that do not harm others, there is no poverty. A future where some people are treated for chemical imbalances in their brain that, along with therapy, help them control violent impulses and no longer take pleasure while causing other people to suffer.

That society would probably look at our current society as barbaric, prisons as evil. But we don't have that utopian treatment so we do the best we can; there has to be some consequence to crime. If you eliminate the option of prisons, there are only so many options left.

On the other hand, not all societies in my world are "good" and some of the laws and traditions I do consider evil. I just don't consider corporal punishment and even execution as necessarily evil when there is little or no other choice.

Oofta

Legend
How in the world are you getting snark out of what I posted? Absolutely none was intended and I can't imagine how it would even be delivered.

Is it because of the format? Presumably that is your issue because of the format of your response?

The format was just of the following structure:

* Example of an imagined possibility.

* I expect we both agree that this is a feasible imagined possibility (but I'm not going to assert it outright because I don't know...I can only speak for myself...so I'll just detail my expectation).

* Rinse/repeat.

That format looks to me to be as benign as it gets. I have no idea how one takes offense to that.

Repeatedly stating "I can (and I suspect you can as well)." came off as snarky to me. Maybe just implying that if someone else cannot, it's their fault for not agreeing with an obvious truth.

On the other hand, tone doesn't always carry and I've cutting way back on caffeine consumption so maybe I'm just overly cranky and need to make myself some tea.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
While there are jails for those waiting trial, there are effectively no prisons.

I wanted to note - while a fantasy world may be different, in the real world, what this does is make jail into a punishment exacted without trial - this is the oubliette. Toss them in, and they come out for trial... which never happens because they aren't important enough or don't have rich friends.

He constantly rebelled against authorities that he was forced to work under. He absolutely never accepted their orders on the basis of their authority to give such orders. If he were Lawful, he’d have not constantly challenged the rulings and orders of the Council at every turn.

Assume a legitimate authority, for a moment.
a lawful person accepts their rules and orders unless they have a reason not to.
a chaotic person accepts their rules and orders only if they make sense, feel right, etc. Because authority is only legitimate so long as it acts legitimately.

I just don't see how this follows.

Can you not have a lawful(ly inclined) person (or persons) overthrow a structural hierarchy for reasons that don't have to do with the dysfunctionality of the structure? They believe in order and structure but this hierarchical structure isn't sufficient. Perhaps the structure, though coherent and functional, doesn't sufficiently serve their ends (their own "right" ascension atop a hierarchical structure which will yield MOAR justice)? Perhaps the structure, though meritocratic and functional, isn't meritocratic or functional enough?

Mutiny and coups within hierarchical structures don't exclusively occur because either (a) the hierarchical structures are dysfunctional and/or (b) those revolting are order/structure-disinclined (eg Chaotic). They can happen because of the intersection of a lot of reasons that the Alignment matrix just fundamentally fails to capture.

Im not trying to argue about D&D or It’s history. I don’t care about legacy or tradition at all. What I’m saying is that alignment needn’t be useful to a pbta game that you run in a narratively loose manner where you decide what kind of person an NPC is during the scene in which you use them, in reaction to PC actions and decisions, in order to be a useful tool in a more standard game of D&D.

Ok, while I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "narratively loose manner" here, I think I read you.

What about the above that I've posted? I take it you don't believe that the D&D Alignment matrix has conceptual blind spots for complex people with competing (often at outright tension) internal priorities and even extremely heterogenous ideals?

It seems to me that 5e (since this is the forum) does better work with its Ideals/Bonds/Flaws. Take the mutiny/coup example from above (even if its just latent within the person and hasn't, and perhaps won't ever be, acted upon).

Ideal - Structure and order is necessary for a comprehensively just and stable society.

Bond - My commander is a good soldier but an incompetent leader.

Flaw - Only I can see us through these trying times.

That Flaw is clearly hubris...but hubris doesn't mean you're wrong. They may be right.

Is that person above a latent Lawful Evil? Latent Lawful Good? What if they put the above 3 into action? Do they become Chaotic?

It just seems to me that (beyond the other issues I've spoken of above regarding increased cognitive burden, contracted dynamism of characters because of the restrictive lens of the matrix, not being able to be surprised by an NPC) here are enormous conceptual blind spots in the matrix.

Bold, enigmatic, impulsive, ruined. Those 4 words open up enormous possibilities while simultaneously channeling my imagination in an interesting, yet constrained, direction in the way writing "LE" does not. Some of that is admittedly going to be my own mental framework. But a fair bit more of that (in my opinion) is operationalizing that very flawed matrix of D&D alignment.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, some laws can be evil. If I were doing a campaign based on Rome for example, slavery was legal. But it's also complicated. Some slaves were sent to mines where they had a life expectancy of 1-2 years. Some were reasonably well treated servants that could win their freedom. The former? LE. The latter? That seems more LN to me.

I don't know that you can separate the punishment from the crime and be able to tell if the punishment is fitting, and therefore good or evil. Jean Valjean, after all, was sentenced to servitude. It didn't kill him - he came out quite strong. So... Lawful Neutral? But he went in for stealing a loaf of bread, and in the meantime, iirc, his sister and niece died without his financial support. 5+ years of servitude and two people dead over bread... does not sound neutral any more, now does it?

One of the #1 ways to avoid understanding the evil you do is to narrow the scope you look at. Javert chases Valjean for years, based on technical violation of the law, thoroughly thinking himself LG, and looking to the audience as LN at best. That holds until he sees the reality of the person he was chasing, after which Javert commits suicide because he cannot reconcile his beliefs and self-image with the reality.

That society would probably look at our current society as barbaric, prisons as evil.

So above, Javert's assessment of his morality, and here, what the society thinks, is irrelevant. In standard D&D metaphysics, your alignment is the result of objective metaphysical operations of the universe interacting with your behavior. To deny that you are evil in typical D&D is like denying that it is raining outside during a monsoon.

Oofta

Legend
I wanted to note - while a fantasy world may be different, in the real world, what this does is make jail into a punishment exacted without trial - this is the oubliette. Toss them in, and they come out for trial... which never happens because they aren't important enough or don't have rich friends.
Prisons, and imprisoning all but a very few people, has only occured in the relatively recent past. Keeping people alive in prison is simply too expensive.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Prisons, and imprisoning all but a very few people, has only occured in the relatively recent past. Keeping people alive in prison is simply too expensive.

"Relatively recent" and "all but a very few" is not terribly specific, and maybe not terribly functional when we are speaking of fictional worlds. The dynamic there is not difficult to see - courts for all but people of politically important status are rarely a high priority in monarchies.

Louis XIV turned the Bastille into a prison. From 1659 onwards, it served as a penitentiary. And there's a long history of using sanitariums as a form of imprisonment when someone was inconvenient. And, Queen Guenevere being sent to a convent is a very polite form of imprisoning her, but since Lancelot went to rescue her, we ought to call it what is was, no?

The Romans had the Mamertine prison in 640 BC. Galley slavery had you chained to the boat, which is certainly imprisonment.

And, for crying out loud, the "dungeons" in "Dungeons and Dragons" are named for places people were imprisoned!

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I just don't see how this follows.

Can you not have a lawful(ly inclined) person (or persons) overthrow a structural hierarchy for reasons that don't have to do with the dysfunctionality of the structure? They believe in order and structure but this hierarchical structure isn't sufficient. Perhaps the structure, though coherent and functional, doesn't sufficiently serve their ends (their own "right" ascension atop a hierarchical structure which will yield MOAR justice)? Perhaps the structure, though meritocratic and functional, isn't meritocratic or functional enough?

Mutiny and coups within hierarchical structures don't exclusively occur because either (a) the hierarchical structures are dysfunctional and/or (b) those revolting are order/structure-disinclined (eg Chaotic). They can happen because of the intersection of a lot of reasons that the Alignment matrix just fundamentally fails to capture.
I disagree. Mutinies and coups happen for those reasons, or because someone wants the power and is willing to kill for it, etc, but there is no difference that means anything to a moral argument between "unjust" and "not just enough".
A lawful person is, either way, going to be more reluctant to overthrow rather than seek to fix that structure or system, and won't generally disobey the authority unless they see a good reason to do so. On the other hand, the Chaotic person is passively ready to overthrow the system, and whether or not they do is more about other factors like how many people seem to be with them, how likely they are to succeed, how much danger is involved and how risk averse they are, etc.
The chaotic person sees authority as inherently in need of challenge in order to determine it's legitimacy, and doesn't care if the authority is legitimate in general when deciding if a given rule or order needs to be followed.

The default position is different. What direction evidence or a good reason is needed is different. It's about how likely the person is to stop and ask why, and wait for an answer that makes sense and seems honest, before carrying out an order from a "neutral party" that they have no specific reason to distrust.
Ok, while I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "narratively loose manner" here, I think I read you.
What I mean is, it seems like you don't generally determine things ahead of time, and instead wait to see what will add to the scene the most. You didn't enter the scene knowing what kind of person Rose was, or even what the nature of the loan and the debtor relationship was, or who was the jerk and who was the victim. That isn't how DnD is generally played. If you play dnd that way, alignment might get in your way, I"m not sure. I'd have to try using alignment in such a game in order to know. But I do know that it isn't as useful to discuss alignment outside of it's intended useage, which is in a world where people exist outside of the perception and interaction of the player characters.
What about the above that I've posted? I take it you don't believe that the D&D Alignment matrix has conceptual blind spots for complex people with competing (often at outright tension) internal priorities and even extremely heterogenous ideals?

It seems to me that 5e (since this is the forum) does better work with its Ideals/Bonds/Flaws. Take the mutiny/coup example from above (even if its just latent within the person and hasn't, and perhaps won't ever be, acted upon).

Ideal - Structure and order is necessary for a comprehensively just and stable society.

Bond - My commander is a good soldier but an incompetent leader.

Flaw - Only I can see us through these trying times.

That Flaw is clearly hubris...but hubris doesn't mean you're wrong. They may be right.

Is that person above a latent Lawful Evil? Latent Lawful Good? What if they put the above 3 into action? Do they become Chaotic?
No, they're clearly Lawful, we can't tell good or bad from that, and mutiny doesn't change their alignment in any way. They're acting in the direct interest of establishing legitimate authority as part of a structured system of rules and hierarchies that will (hopefully) lead to greater stability. In this case, its a matter of greater stability in the face of adverse circumstance, and good men have been mutinied against for less.

Hell, some vikings once sacrificed their king/chief/whatever I don't recall to Odin because the ship was having bad luck all trip and the guy running the rig is the guy responsible for that.
It just seems to me that (beyond the other issues I've spoken of above regarding increased cognitive burden, contracted dynamism of characters because of the restrictive lens of the matrix, not being able to be surprised by an NPC) here are enormous conceptual blind spots in the matrix.

Bold, enigmatic, impulsive, ruined. Those 4 words open up enormous possibilities while simultaneously channeling my imagination in an interesting, yet constrained, direction in the way writing "LE" does not. Some of that is admittedly going to be my own mental framework. But a fair bit more of that (in my opinion) is operationalizing that very flawed matrix of D&D alignment.
I again disagree. It's mostly your own mental framework, just like how well alignment works for those of us it works for is our own mental frameworks. There is no need to think consciously about alignment, for me, pretty much ever. It's there in the back of my head, and I just use it.

So, here's the problem I have. I just am not ever going to walk through a several step scenario like you want me to in order to have this discussion. The process is excruciatingly frustrating for me, in large part due to ADHD, but also simply because dissecting a hypothetical sequence of events is just an inherently unenjoyable experience for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads