D&D 5E A Victorian-Era, Minimal-Steampunk, Dead Magic, Mainly Roleplaying, Tabletop Game for a friend's girlfriend.

Well, it's a complicated situation. My friend is part of a group of 8+ who I DM for, a task I do rather well. The problem is his girlfriend has a problem with our D&D gaming, which we started as of recent. She's got the whole stereotype going, the game's about demons, it's a ritual to satan, the game is not fit for any good person to play, magic is bad, yada yada yada yah. And to boot she's not too keen on math, pretty terrible actually. But just recently (yesterday), the discussion came up and she would be open to trying on the condition that her boyfriend's brother (another one of my player's) DM. Now, it's not that I'm not confident in his ability... but I'm not confident in his ability. Come to find out neither is he, he contacted me last telling me the situation and asked me to help in arranging everything. Now since she doesn't like math we're going with a largely roleplaying game. I'm teaching him all about DMing so there's no problem there.

The thing I need help with is content. I've got enough homebrew classes to fit this world, and race, well, that one's easy. But is there any resources you know of that have Victorian-appropriate content? Have you anything you could contribute that would fit? Any tips in DMing a Victorian-Era game? And then there the question of the quest! What should we do to get her a good feel for the game? Any unique quest ideas? Is there anything you'd recommend to give her a better opinion of the game? Go ahead and tell me what you think, any contribution is useful.

Alright, so here the EDITS begin:

It's not the whole group playing, it's just my friend who has no idea how to DM, me, the boyfriend and her. And whoever she wants to bring, should she want that, I haven't asked.

The girlfriend is a reasonable person outside of her sometimes biased opinion. And she's extremely respectful of the boyfriend's hobbies, she comes to games and stays for a while. It's just she's not approving of it, and feels it's not good for him. A completely logical conclusion from her point of view. She would go to a group but she's naturally shy and I personally would like to be able to mediate her experience to be a positive one. (Also thank you to the person who brought up relationship issues, made me clarify a bit.) She never asked that we cater to her, in fact all she said was she really did not enjoy the thought of magic in the game, it was I who decided to accommodate. If it gets her opinion up of it in this little game, I can slowly introduce more main aspects of D&D and the effort would have been worth it if she ends up enjoying herself. And for me personally I'd love to branch out like this, being able to try a new playstyle (as it's been mostly game not RP) and adapt to the setting. And to boot I might make someone who has a negative opinion have a better one, and they'll have fun while I do it.

Also, it's my first time playing. I have only DM'd for my entire tabletop experience.

Last edited:

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Well, you want there to be adventure. And you want it to be mainly roleplay. That points in a couple of directions.

One is a city-based investigation type mystery. Mysterious killings, perhaps, with many scenes of questioning suspects. Mad science can cover a lot of areas that magic normally fills in a fantasy story. Maybe a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde scenario, where the person affected doesn't even realize he/she is doing it? Or the theft of a prototype for a marvelous device, with chase scenes through shadowy alleys. Remember there's non-lethal damage, so you can knock the suspect out and interrogate him/her later, for extra roleplay.

You could also go all Indiana Jones and send them on a pyramid dig in Egypt, or to excavate the tombs of ancient kings in Greece. Ancient riddles and puzzles to unlock doors. And for a final fight, a purely mechanical (definitely not magical or undead!) guardian to be defeated. This option tilts more toward the exploration pillar.

Just how steampunky do you want to go? Airships? Clockwork robots?

Take a look at the "Modern Magic" Unearthed Arcana, too. A lot of what's in there can be reskinned to make it a purely technological ability. Make it a cool brass-and-steel device with cogweels and lots of keys, and voila--steampunk techno-device! :)

Good luck!

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Your friend should dump her.

Seriously, that does not sound like a healthy relationship. If this girl doesn't respect her boyfriend's hobbies, that's a very poor sign. And it's nice that she's willing to give gaming a try but it sounds like she's resistant. If she's genuinely curious, she can join a gaming group like a regular person, not expect an elaborate setup just for her. Your friend shouldn't try to change her, and shouldn't try to change himself for her.

If she has a problem with D&D, that is her problem. If she sincerely wants help overcoming her problem, a better approach would be for her and a trusted friend to go join an Adventurer's League game at a local store and play there for a few weeks. That way she can see what D&D is like without any of the personal baggage she has with members of your gaming group.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a relationship therapist, I've just been burned one too many times. Life's too short to spend it with someone who's not totally into you.

EDIT: I realize this isn't the advice you asked for. But someone had to say it. Someone was going to say it, and I wanted to get in before the unhelpful trolls ranting sexist slurs.

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
D20 modern had a tiny little supplement called D20 Past. That could help slightly, with some quest ideas.

You may be able to find other similar resources from . . . oh my. . . Call of Cthulhu.

And don't forget Sherlock Holmes. Those stories can provide details of the time and inspiration (especially for any Int 5 characters in the group)

Satyrn

First Post
So the group is forced to cater to one person's misguided and ill-informed ideas?

I wondered at this too, but then I thought: hey, someone new gets to try DMing. That's cool. And the players get to try a different sort of setting, and a new playstyle. That's a lot of breaking out of the box, and that could be a great thing, even if the catalyst is. . . not so great.

So I guess she trusts that her boyfriend's brother won't corrupt her soul through secret arcane NLP whereas you, an acolyte of the demon Unnatural Twenty, could.

What happens if she finds out you prepped him? Maybe you passed on to him the codes. Serious question, the DM switcheroo seems to fit that idea of trust - if she finds out you've coached him she may feel a sense of broken trust by a close friend. Make sure he keeps schtum.

I simply say he wanted to know how to DM so I gave him the necessary books needed, and showed him a few tips on how to run it in the books. Nothing that would indicate my corruption. Plus I think the point of the DM switch is because she's more comfortable with him. I don't know her too well because I've been too busy with too many things to cultivate relationships with people I don't already enjoy. I'm only just now settling down which is why I chose to start DMing.

practicalm

Explorer
It sounds like you all should try Space:1889. Victorian steampunk in spades.
I am more familiar with the original hardcover, but I see there is a pdf of more recent rules.

I enjoyed playing it but I have no opinions on any of the adventures.

Dausuul

Legend
I'm inclined to agree with 77IM. But it's not like you can make him dump her, so you gotta deal with the situation. Be aware that your friend may decide to put his GF's prejudices above his hobby. If he does, make it clear that he can drop D&D without dropping you, and he's always welcome back at the table.

Anyway, to the question of this putative campaign... frankly, D&D is not at all suited to a 19th-century, no-magic, humans-only setting. I mean, you just whacked all but one race, all but three classes, most of the equipment list, half the DMG and ninety percent of the Monster Manual, what's left? If it were me, I'd look into a different system, maybe FUDGE or something like it. But if you're committed to D&D, you can probably kitbash it into something that will serve your needs.

I would suggest a RP-heavy, mechanics-light campaign. I'll second Satyrn's suggestion of the Sherlock Holmes stories as a great way to get the feel of the period and mine ideas for adventures (plus they're a blast to read). Intrigue and war among the great powers of Europe; exploring the still-unknown corners of the world; inventors with wild inventions that could turn society upside down; the simmering discontent of the lower classes in a world still dominated by monarchies; lots of fodder for a campaign there.

Remove ads