• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advice for Warden class

Sharkon

First Post
I may be playing a warden in a campaign and i would like to ask for advice for my build.What are the best feats for this class? And also are there any warden powers except form PH2 ?

Aulirophile

First Post
Primal Power and Dragon both have tons of Warden powers...

You're going to need to give more specifics. Do you want to be a Striker-ish Defender, a Controlling Defender, a Leader-ish Defender? Do you want to prioritize mobility? Toughness? Accuracy? Do you have a race preference?

Sharkon

First Post
Primal Power and Dragon both have tons of Warden powers...

You're going to need to give more specifics. Do you want to be a Striker-ish Defender, a Controlling Defender, a Leader-ish Defender? Do you want to prioritize mobility? Toughness? Accuracy? Do you have a race preference?

i would prefer a controlling defender and the race either human or goliath

Aulirophile

First Post
Ah, well then. A Goliath is perfect for either Earthstrength or Stormheart Warden. Both are actually very good controllers, but I would give the edge to Stormheart. Not by a lot. One downside to Goliaths it that their racial feat, Goliath Greatweapon Prowess, is only useful if you use a 2 handed weapon. So no heavy shield. You can use one, but if I did I'd be a Warforged or another Str/Con race (possibly even a Dwarf for minor action second wind), just because it seems silly to play a race and not take advantage of their benefits.

Something like:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 11
Goliath, Warden, Iron Vanguard
Build: Storm Warden
Guardian Might: Stormheart
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Hammer)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Axe)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 21, Con 21, Dex 13, Int 9, Wis 13, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 16, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 10.

AC: 25 Fort: 23 Reflex: 18 Will: 20
HP: 108 Surges: 14 Surge Value: 27

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +13, Heal +11, Endurance +14, Athletics +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Arcana +4, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +6, History +4, Insight +6, Intimidate +5, Perception +6, Religion +4, Stealth +5, Streetwise +5, Thievery +5

FEATS
Level 1: Sudden Roots
Level 2: Storm's Lightning
Level 4: Goliath Greatweapon Prowess
Level 6: Versatile Expertise
Level 8: Guard of Stone
Level 10: Stormheart Push
Level 11: Battle Awareness

POWERS
Warden at-will 1: Tempest Assault
Warden at-will 1: Weight of Earth
Warden encounter 1: Gale Strike
Warden daily 1: Form of Winter's Herald
Warden utility 2: Inspiring Fortitude
Warden encounter 3: Burst of Earth's Fury
Warden daily 5: Boiling Cloud
Warden utility 6: Treacherous Ice
Warden encounter 7: Winter's Claws
Warden daily 9: Form of the Oak Sentinel
Warden utility 10: Reactive Surge

ITEMS
Feyslaughter Maul +2, Battle Harness Hide Armor +2, Cloak of the Walking Wounded +2, Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Crown of the Goliath Champion (paragon tier), Strikebacks (heroic tier), Boots of the Fencing Master (heroic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

That is a dangerous build. Twice/day you prevent anything next to you from shifting for a whole encounter (Treacherous Ice Stance, Form of Winter's Herald). Once per encounter you can punish an adjacent enemy for shifting (Battle Awareness). The level 16 feature of Iron Vanguard deals your con mod in damage to enemies you push or knock prone. Stormheart Push means you can push every marked enemy within 2 squares of you when you Second Wind and they take Con mod damage (Storms Lightning). So 2x con mod damage to marked enemies you second wind, and you can rearrange the battlefield in addition.

You're about as accurate as you're going to get. You'll note your Reflex and Will are a little low, that is true of all Str/Con Wardens. Font of Life and a ridiculous amount of HP is basically how the class deals with that.

Guard of Stone is easily the coolest Warden feat Goliaths have. Everyone you mark essentially has -7 to hit your allies, and you have resist 5 all for the duration of your racial. Tough choice for them.

If you like a more general overview of the warden class try the class guides on the WotC CharOp boards. Don't be afraid they have nothing to do with powergaming.

Remove ads