Against the Giants: Steading of the Hill Giant Chief

pathfinderq1

First Post
Miranda had said little during the course of the meal so far, seemingly content to observe as the others began to plan the expedition. She had also, apparently, not eaten a single bite of the lavish repast.

Now, though, she leaned forward to speak. "Perhaps multiple copies of the best map we can produce, between those who know the area. And another, to be carried by whichever scouts are going into the most danger- which has some misinformation printed on it, in case they are taken. Say, for instance, markings which show troop marshaling points and scouting routes which do not, in reality, exist- but if the map is found, might serve to confuse the giants and their allies."

Scotley

Hero
Wik has also been neglecting the food so excited is he by the discussion. "I like the way you think, a misleading map just in case. Sneaky. But I'm not so sure we need to be splitting up. If those of us at this table comprise the whole of the force then we need to be close. The giants are terrible foes easily the match of half a dozen regular soldiers. In order to bring them down we'll need to bring considerable force. If one of us gets caught alone I don't mind saying that I for one would be worried."

drothgery

First Post
"I'm hoping that save for a few of us scouting ahead at times, we don't get split up." Gwenn said. "But we can't count on it. We're certainly going to be trying to split the giants up; why wouldn't they try the same?"

Phaezen

First Post
Brook nods "We should be prepared for the giants trying to out maneuver us and have a few contingency plans just in case. I have a few skills and rituals I can use to help scout out the giants as well as conceal us if needed."

tiornys

Explorer
"I will have my staff prepare some mapping kits, and ask my scribes to make a couple of copies of the maps we have."

The Baron looks around the table and nods. "If your planning reflects your ability, the giants have much to fear. I must see to those matters if they are to be accomplished by the morning. Please feel free to linger here if you wish, or to request other fare from the kitchens if this meal is unsatisfactory." Martaen glances at Miranda as he says this last.

Standing, Baron Martaen prepares to leave the room.

GM: I will probably be a couple of days on the map; it's the middle of my work week and things have picked up. Unless there are any last minute questions for the Baron, I figure we'll move on to the next morning as soon as you conclude your dinner conversation.

Scotley

Hero
"Thank you Baron, the food is excellent, but I think we're all more concerned with the coming action than our stomachs. We would appreciate the maps." Wik attacks the food feeling pretty good about the group.

tiornys

Explorer
Soon after the Baron leaves, the dinner breaks up. You return to comfortable beds and quiet nights (or what-have-you). In the morning, servants are waiting to usher you to a small tactical room near the gatehouse, where you are given provisions, mapping supplies and a map of the region. The Baron makes an appearance as the gates open for your departure.

"The Kingdom owes you a debt for undertaking this task. We shall pray for your success and await your return. Fare well, and good hunting!

With favorable weather and the experienced guidance of Wik and Gwenn, you make excellent time to the foothills. Evading the sparse outer patrols is child's play, and shortly before nightfall you are able to reach a hidden cave that should serve well as a base camp. Worn by the pace of travel, the party pauses to consider their next move.

Scotley

Hero
"As I thought, it does not seem that the Giants have found this little hideout. We must be cautious in our comings and going though. Should we rest now and and try to slip into the Stedding just before dawn?"

Phaezen

First Post
Brook examines the cave and tells his companions "I have a couple of tricks to keep us safe while we rest here."

The runepriest grabs a small pouch out of his bag and looks around.

"The first will create a ward over the area making it more difficult to see into and hear noises from, the second will create a snare at the entrance that will trigger if a humanoid who is not one of us enters immobilising them temporarily."

If there are no objections he busies himself with the rituals.

OOC: Brook will use the Wizards Curtain ritual on the main sleeping area of the cave, it lasts 24 hours covering a burst 4 area (9 by 9).

Just before people head off to rest he prepares the snare ritual on the entrance to the cave, lasting 8 hours. +16 vrs Reflex, on a hit Immobilises (save ends), triggering conditions as above.

Remove ads