Against the Giants: Steading of the Hill Giant Chief

tiornys

Explorer
As everyone settles in, Baron Martaen speaks. "My thanks to you all for your prompt response to our request. As you know, this area of the Kingdom has suffered numerous attacks from Hill Giants based in the Crystalmist Mountains. Normally, such a situation would call for military action." Martaen nods at Wik as he continues. "However, our intelligence suggests that a massed armed force is likely to suffer heavy losses. The area around the Hill Giants' Stedding is diligently patrolled, and the Giants are allied with groups of Orcs, Bugbears and Ogres. More worrisome, the Hill Giants may also have an alliance with other, more powerful Giants. An army will be met by organized and formidable resistance."

The Baron pauses and takes a deep breath. As he continues, he looks around the table, meeting each of your eyes. "By contrast, the Stedding itself appears to be lightly guarded. I have consulted with the Margrave Jorhallen and Duke Carstairs, first advisor to the King. We believe the situation is ripe for a tactical strike to eliminate the leadership of the Hill Giants. A small group can easily bypass the patrols and assault the Stedding itself."

Sitting back, Martaen gestures with both hands. "This, of course, is where you come in. You have skills and abilities that go beyond those typically found in our armies. We are asking you to infiltrate the Stedding and slay the Hill Giant Chieftain, Nosnra. We also need information about a possible alliance between Giant tribes. We have had reports of Stone Giants, Frost Giants, and Fire Giants working with the Hill Giants. Any information you can gather will be very valuable to us."

The Baron pauses once again, then a wry grin crosses his face. "In compensation for your service, the Crown has agreed to relinquish any claim to the treasures within the Stedding. Whatever you are able to plunder is yours to keep. Should you succeed in scattering the Hill Giants, the Crown will reward you with the sum of 2000 gold, each, with a possibility of further reward if you also acquire pertinent information."

As the Baron concludes, his large serving man enters the room with several other servants close behind. They present you with a fine selection of foods: roasted game, succulent vegetables, fresh breads, pastas, and sliced fruits. Pitchers of beer and water are placed on the table, and a delicate feywine is offered. As the servants file out (leaving one behind), Martaen says, "Please, enjoy the meal. And if you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask."

Scotley

Hero
Wik speaks up quickly, "I have seen this Stedding and I believe the wilderness around will provide cover for us to slip in close. I know the area well. It will be a tough nut to crack, but as you say we have some useful skills. How soon do we get started."

tiornys

Explorer
"As soon as possible. I was expecting you to leave in the morning, but if you wish to leave sooner, matters can be arranged."

Scotley

Hero
"As soon as possible. I was expecting you to leave in the morning, but if you wish to leave sooner, matters can be arranged."

Wik shrugs. "We are likely to get little rest once we reach the environs of the Stedding. I think one night of rest won't cost us too much time. I suggest first light unless someone objects?" He looks to his newfound companions.

drothgery

First Post
"I doubt the giants have presented anyone with a list of demands, but have they given any indication that they want anything beyond plunder?" Gwenn asked.

tiornys

Explorer
The Baron replies to Gwenn's question. "If there is a purpose motivating their raids beyond simple greed, it is not apparent. And they have not made any attempt at communication that I am aware of"

As he stabs a tender bit of Griffon steak, Martaen is attentive, clearly interested in discussion of Aelar's remark.

GM: You're about a day's travel from the foothills. Navigating the hills to the Stedding will take at least 4 hours and could easily take longer.

Inspiratorium

First Post
Deacon eyes the Feywine with curiosity as he pours himself a glass of beer. First something familiar, but he'd make a note to try it later.

"Well, it's best if we travel by day, I suppose," he offers between sips, "Past experience tells me that our task will last us at least a few days, so I suggest we leave in the morning and make camp outside of the area during the afternoon. That way, we can begin well rested, and have the cover of the night." The soldier looks around the table at the rest of his allies for their reactions.

"Of course, things would be a bit easier to plan with a map of the area."

Scotley

Hero
"I don't have a map, but I do know the area well. I know a place where we should be able to establish a safe camp near the Stedding."

Phaezen

First Post
Brook looks at Alear "That is a good question, does anyone here know anything concrete about these giants?"

Turning to Wik he notes "You seem to have knowledge of the area, would you be able to lead us close enough to the keep so we can observe it unnoticed?"

Remove ads